Aspiring Clinical Pathologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clinpathnerd

Reaction score
Hey there!
I am currently a 2nd year veterinary student and have unfortunately encountered a small rough patch in my life (diagnosed with MS, my mom having cancer, transferring vet schools) leading to my grades not being exactly where I want them to be. I would say that I should end up with all B's (hopefully) this semester - but with the added stress from my friends since I am not performing as well as them has me further in a rut. I LOVE pathology. Am I super good at it? NO! But I love learning about it and believe that I want to pursue a clinical pathology residency after my DVM.

Do I have a chance at getting into a residency without perfect grades? I of course do have extracurriculars under my belt and am looking into doing externships this summer. I also would appreciate any advice that will allow me to pursue my future career goals!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I’m SDN’s neighborhood clinical pathologist, lol. I have been boarded four years now. It’s very possible to pursue pathology with mediocre grades. I personally was in the bottom half of my class and had a 3.2 GPA. I had several Cs first year (but an upward trend). Obviously it’s a little easier if you have high grades, but clin path is a VERY small field, and who you know and your demonstrated interest in the field will go a long way. Pathology is outside of the match, and clinical pathology is a small enough field that in general all apps will be reviewed…so it’s not like surgery or other specialties with so many applicants that have to make objective initial cuts based on GPA to thin the app stack. Did I get cut from places because of my GPA? Probably, but I had multiple offers after my rotating internship year.

Keep doing as well as you can in your classes, but focus on building strong relationships with the pathologists at your school. Those letters of rec will be the most important part of your app packet. Spend free time in your reading room looking at slides. Maybe get a part time job in the clin path lab if that’s something your school offers. Attend ACVP to network (it’s usually end of October to early November…the 2023 meeting starts tomorrow but maybe plan for Seattle next year), and maybe work with your pathologists to see if they have ideas for a poster presentation. Most pathologists have a stack of cases that are presentation/publication worthy if someone interested comes along. Consider trying to set up externship at other schools or other places. I externed at two different schools (including where I ended up getting chosen for residency) and an a contract research organization. I’m not saying you have to do every one of these things (though they are all things I did), but basically just get involved and demonstrate your passion. You’re in a good position to realize you like it early on in school…it gives you plenty of time to do stuff and build relationships.

But also don’t forget about clinical knowledge. It’s possible to get a clin path residency right out of school, but often places like to see a rotating internship or practice experience just because it gives frame of reference and additional knowledge that can make you a better pathologist. I’d say probably half of people I know did an internship or practices and half entered residency after school.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users