Class of 2024 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EB73674

Ohio State c/o 2026
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don’t know if this is the thread style for these (haha), but with VMCAS opening this morning we are officially in the application cycle for class of 2024! Who else is applying? Where are you applying and why? Any thoughts on the essays/questions yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Generally, the “How ya doin?” threads are created more towards the end of the cycle when applicants start to choose where they specifically want to attend and finalize their plans. :)

Up until then, they have their own general application/VMCAS thread:

Reactions: 1 users
Ohh oops! Is there a way to delete this thread?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just change it to c/o 2024 applicants. There is always a general application thread to get to know one another. The how ya doin is made for the accepted people. :)
Changed it for ya! Good luck, applicants! May your application process be smooth and you get many offers! :woot:

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Y'all sure is quiet. Where's the sense of community? Don't be like the '19ers!!!! Be outgoing and support each other from the start for life long friendships. And places to crash for externships. haha

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Y'all sure is quiet. Where's the sense of community? Don't be like the '19ers!!!! Be outgoing and support each other from the start for life long friendships. And places to crash for externships. haha

Here we go. Round 2

Reactions: 1 user
Might as well post here! Accepted to Melbourne, interviewing at OVC on Thursday, waiting on Sydney decision

Essays for daysssssssss. That’s how I feel about this process.

Essays for daysssssssss. That’s how I feel about this process.
YUP, so many essays, slightly nervous about getting them all done. Also questioning whether my choices are a good idea - my GPA is pretty gnarly but experience & GRE scores are good, hoping I haven’t shot myself in the foot by not applying to the Island schools this time around...

So what is everyone considering to be holistic schools? I have no IS schools, but i have a few contract schools. Just wanna apply places that OOS is considered. I’m def applying to LMU again, because i love it.

Members don't see this ad :)
So what is everyone considering to be holistic schools? I have no IS schools, but i have a few contract schools. Just wanna apply places that OOS is considered. I’m def applying to LMU again, because i love it.
This chart from the vmcas site says how many OOS seats each school has and then you can go from there and look at what each school looks at and if they care about more than numbers and you can see their average stats.

Reactions: 4 users
As if application shenanigans aren’t stressful enough, let’s add osteosarcoma to the mix :cryi:

• Sad
I dont know how im going to write these essays while working 44hrs a week but im going to. Hopefully I get a long lunch. I figure if I can work on them enough to get them done by july ill have them looked over by sept.

As if application shenanigans aren’t stressful enough, let’s add osteosarcoma to the mix :cryi:
My dog was diagnosed with an aggressive cancer a little before apps were due so I was definitely distracted the whole month of September. Most stressed I’ve ever been. Totally feel you. :hungover:

• Sad
My dog was diagnosed with an aggressive cancer a little before apps were due so I was definitely distracted the whole month of September. Most stressed I’ve ever been. Totally feel you. :hungover:

It sucks man. I took a few days away from apps because I didn’t think writing essays when my heart feels broken would do me any favors. It’s so different when it’s your own pet. Just trying to enjoy what little time we have left together.

• Sad
It sucks man. I took a few days away from apps because I didn’t think writing essays when my heart feels broken would do me any favors. It’s so different when it’s your own pet. Just trying to enjoy what little time we have left together.
Agreed! I actually almost didn’t submit my apps because I was so broken. I didn’t care about anything else but her but since she was the major motivator in my path to veterinary medicine, I said I’d do right by her and press on! We’re about 8 months post dx. She doesn’t know she’s ill, so we treat everyday as a blessing and act as if everything is normal!

Agreed! I actually almost didn’t submit my apps because I was so broken. I didn’t care about anything else but her but since she was the major motivator in my path to veterinary medicine, I said I’d do right by her and press on! We’re about 8 months post dx. She doesn’t know she’s ill, so we treat everyday as a blessing and act as if everything is normal!

This pretty much sums up how I feel but I must press on! I hope I’ll feel better with time.

We had professional photos taken of our guy while he’s still happy and it was so so so worth it. Highly recommend if you have a photographer friend!

file may 19, 06 48 54.png

Reactions: 6 users
Who feels me?

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone found out the supplemental application info for RVC, ST. Georges, or Western?

Im down to my diversity essays and im looking at them and overthinking them.

I'm so sorry.

I'm applying this year! Getting pretty excited. This will be my third time applying.

past applicants/ repeat applicants:

any advice on what NOT to do/ things to avoid when filling out applications!?

Do NOT come across as generic. A lot of people, the majority I’d wager, are afraid to talk themselves up because they don’t want to seem full of themselves. However, this is the point of an application: to make yourself stand out. Don’t say things like “it’s been my dream since I was 6 years old to be a veterinarian.” There’s not a ton of money in the field, there’s a ton of schooling involved, and we don’t get the respect we deserve from a lot of people when we graduate. Obviously we’re going into the field because it’s our dream/passion/calling/*insert generic word*. Don’t explain how badly you want this. Tell a story that shows how DEDICATED you are. Dedication to the field is important, and you should describe that rather than explain how much you like animals.

In the same vein, don’t use passive voice and don’t talk down your experiences or the roles you played in the experiences you’ve had. Don’t say things like “I was a research assistant in a project focusing on cattle reproduction. Urine was collected from bulls to measure testosterone levels and testosterone injections were given to castrated steers before collecting their urine.” None of that says what YOU did or why the project would have been worse off without you. Explain what you did, how you made an impact, and why that experience enriched your knowledge of veterinary medicine. This applies to both essays and experience descriptions. Except for essays, you have much more liberty with how you spice up your writing.

I would overall just recommend being your own hype man. You’ve made it this far. You believe you have a good shot at getting in, otherwise you probably wouldn’t bother applying. Make sure you let everyone reading your application know that you’re the best person to fill that seat in the class.

Follow the directions on VMCAS and supplememtals. That's serious advice based on questions I've seen asked on the APVMA Facebook page. There were 12k applicants last year for less than 4k spots. If you mess up directions, schools don't have to care. There are plenty of qualified applicants in the line, so they don't need to accommodate someone who doesn't fill out forms right.

I have not personally dealt with this issue, but sort of going off of what @batsenecal said, triple check that you are meeting the requirements for the schools you are applying to. Whether its correct prereqs and number of units, supplemental questions, hours, or letters from specific types of evaluators. Schools will just disregard your app if you don't meet something appropriately (i.e. only having 3 units in an area they require 5) regardless of the time, effort, and fees you paid.

My friend applied to ISU and didn't see they required physiology and wasted an application fee. It happens but don't let it happen. I was guilty of being to bland last year because I was afraid to highlight who I was and why I really wanted to go into school. It took working with law enforcement who basically gave me a clear cut idea of what I needed to say that I had the courage to say look I had a lot thrown at me that kicked my butt. I got up and dusted my butt off and I've shown I can be a good student and a professional.

Don't lie on your experiences. I have had vet students volunteer at my free clinic I help at who don't know how to do basic technician tasks and if they had the amount of veterinary hours they said they had they would. Write what you did that was new, so if you had one technician job don't keep writing blood draws or TPR, write collected samples or preformed pre exam procedures. Most schools seem to be wanting the what did you learn part so do that bullet overview and then go this is what I learned at XYZ clinic or ABC farm etc.

I have zilch on food medicine but I highlighted my experience in food animal courses, food animal welfare, and my experience on actual farms and working with small ruminants. Play to your strengths.

I’m also stuck here
This might be a good time to ask those close to you what they think makes you different, and you can evaluate their merits there. I have trouble seeing some of my attributes as "diverse", but I've spoken to a few other students and other professionals who were able to point out a few that I hadn't thought of.

Everyone has a story. Think about yours, and look for a defining moment or time period that influenced who you are.

Hey guys! I'm a 2nd time applicant and looking to see what your thoughts are as far as which schools are good for zoo/wildlife/conservation medicine. I already have a few pinned down that I'm applying to, I'm just looking for second opinions and advice. Thanks!

Hey guys! I'm a 2nd time applicant and looking to see what your thoughts are as far as which schools are good for zoo/wildlife/conservation medicine. I already have a few pinned down that I'm applying to, I'm just looking for second opinions and advice. Thanks!
Lol the cheapest one you can get into.

You can always do externships elsewhere 4th year and during summers. But you’re wanting to go into one of the lowest paid fields with very few jobs, so you should really be looking at costs and scheduling externships to get the experience you need. A 200k savings is a big deal for any field of vetmed, but it’s especially important when you’re wanting to go into a field that has few jobs and jobs that don’t necessarily pay well if you manage to find one (especially wildlife)

Hey 2024 Applicants! You guys should all check out this webinar next week!

Hello! First time applicant here, non-traditional student. Applying to eight schools, upwards of 20 essays in total. Trying to get them finished up this week so I can submit early for the verification process. Anyone know how long verification usually takes?

Last edited:
Hello! First time applicant here, non-traditional student. Applying to seven schools, upwards of 18 essays in total. Trying to get them finished up this week so I can submit early for the verification process. Anyone know how long verification usually takes?
It varies. Anywhere from a few days to a couple weeks. The recommendation is to submit your application about a month before the deadline, but if you absolutely can’t then that’s fine. It’s just to give yourself a large buffer in case there’s something off with your app so you can fix it before the deadline.

Hello! First time applicant here, non-traditional student. Applying to seven schools, upwards of 18 essays in total. Trying to get them finished up this week so I can submit early for the verification process. Anyone know how long verification usually takes?

The earlier the better. To give you an idea, I submitted July 15th at 9pm and was verified by 4pm the next day. I only have two transcripts though, and one didn’t change from last year.

It varies. Anywhere from a few days to a couple weeks. The recommendation is to submit your application about a month before the deadline, but if you absolutely can’t then that’s fine. It’s just to give yourself a large buffer in case there’s something off with your app so you can fix it before the deadline.

If they find something wrong with your app during the verification process you can probably still fix those things after the VMCAS deadline btw. They will send you an email telling you what you need to fix and how long you have to resubmit the application with the corrected info. A buffer is nice if you forget something major that they may not be willing to add to your app after the deadline, but issues that crop up during verification are fixable in my experience.

(I know this because I submitted my app literally a few minutes before the deadline and VMCAS emailed me a few weeks later to fix something that I had entered incorrectly from my transcripts. I think they gave me a week to fix the problem and resubmit.)

Just took the GRE last week and finished an on-line English class so waiting for those two things to finalize before I submit. And I need to figure out what classes are considered electives. Moving into the Frat house for the last year this week. So much to do!

I don’t see a UF thread so I’ll ask here. Anyone know if UF wants us to include repeated courses on the prerequisite Inventory form? I had to retake a couple classes that had “expired” according to other schools but I’m not sure if UF wants both or just the most recent on the form. I emailed them a couple days ago but haven’t heard back. Also, space is super limited on the form so I’m not even sure how I would squeeze in the old course.

The earlier the better. To give you an idea, I submitted July 15th at 9pm and was verified by 4pm the next day. I only have two transcripts though, and one didn’t change from last year.

Thanks for the reply! I ended up submitting last week. Took a few days for my app to be verified, but one of my transcripts was foreign with a WES evaluation so I expected it might take longer. Now just waiting for my LORs to be submitted....

Hey guys. First time applicant here, just submitted my application yesterday! Waiting on verification still, but otherwise it's good to go. I'm so nervous, but glad all my essays are done at least! :cool: