Class of 2024 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Gosh, it sure does seem like many schools are running behind schedule when compared to previous years. Anyone else slowly dying inside? :laugh:

Patience is a virtue, patience is a virtue, patience is a virtue ... ...

Pretty sure it feels like that every year if you’re the one applying Lololol

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Me @ all the adcomms:

1576191636287.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 16 users
Members don't see this ad :)
One of the things I never considered before applying was time zones. I just can’t relax because it might be 7:30pm for me but it’s only 4:30 for some admissions committees.

Reactions: 3 users
Just as an FYI for yall: schools may be closed at least from christmas eve to the day after new years. This is true for Illinois. So if you dont hear from admissions committees by 5 pm Friday, you can probably relax until after new years

Reactions: 4 users
Just as an FYI for yall: schools may be closed at least from christmas eve to the day after new years. This is true for Illinois. So if you dont hear from admissions committees by 5 pm Friday, you can probably relax until after new years
You haven’t happened to have heard anything about when Illinois is sending OOS phase 2 emails, have you?

You haven’t happened to have heard anything about when Illinois is sending OOS phase 2 emails, have you?

There were phase 2 emails sent last week (Tuesday I think from what I saw here and APVMA facebook). I have no clue if more are coming or if there will be a wave of rejections or not. My app year, I got my phase 2 email the same time as IS students. That was in 2015 though, so not sure how much has changed.

Reactions: 1 user
There were phase 2 emails sent last week (Tuesday I think from what I saw here and APVMA facebook). I have no clue if more are coming or if there will be a wave of rejections or not. My app year, I got my phase 2 email the same time as IS students. That was in 2015 though, so not sure how much has changed.
Weird, I didn’t think any OOS-ers got them yet ... but then again I applied to a gazillion schools so it wouldn’t be surprising if that info left my brain already :p

Weird, I didn’t think any OOS-ers got them yet ... but then again I applied to a gazillion schools so it wouldn’t be surprising if that info left my brain already :p
IS was the only ones who have posted. In previous years it seems like in-state and out-of-state heard on the same day for phase 2 but it looks like they might be doing it differently this year

IS was the only ones who have posted. In previous years it seems like in-state and out-of-state heard on the same day for phase 2 but it looks like they might be doing it differently this year
Cool, so I still have a marble left :)

• Haha
Hey guys I’m an international student who went to UC Davis as an undergrad. I was lucky enough to receive acceptances to both LSU and oregon state yesterday ! I was wondering if any current oregon state students can possibly give me some pros and cons ? And if anyone can link me to the pros and cons excel sheet they had in the previous years ? Thank you! I’ll be considered oos for all schools !

Hey guys I’m an international student who went to UC Davis as an undergrad. I was lucky enough to receive acceptances to both LSU and oregon state yesterday ! I was wondering if any current oregon state students can possibly give me some pros and cons ? And if anyone can link me to the pros and cons excel sheet they had in the previous years ? Thank you! I’ll be considered oos for all schools !
Check out this subforum, you may want to post a thread there, or see if there have been other threads where those schools were discussed

Reactions: 1 users
And here is the link to the "Factors When Picking a School" document. Keep in mind some things may be out of date.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I have a question about one of those interview questions everyone is most likely asked. “Tell me a time when you overcame a challenge.” I was thinking of discussing the time I had a concussion and I struggled a lot with school, had to get home schooled for basically an entire year and how I overcame it to graduate 35 out of 460 in my class. However, this happened at the end of 10th grade. Is that too long ago to discuss or could it still be relevant? I am just wondering because I want to be honest with them, and that’s one of the hardest things I had to go through in my life. Would love anyones input, tyia!

So I have a question about one of those interview questions everyone is most likely asked. “Tell me a time when you overcame a challenge.” I was thinking of discussing the time I had a concussion and I struggled a lot with school, had to get home schooled for basically an entire year and how I overcame it to graduate 35 out of 460 in my class. However, this happened at the end of 10th grade. Is that too long ago to discuss or could it still be relevant? I am just wondering because I want to be honest with them, and that’s one of the hardest things I had to go through in my life. Would love anyones input, tyia!
Time is not the factor, it is the life impact of the event and how it shaped you.

Reactions: 5 users
I figured as much! It definitely had an impact on me and helped me transition into the person I am today. Just wanted to make sure and get other people’s opinions on the matter. Thank you!

No worries! Honestly, we as a profession are looking for people who know how to express themselves well and have great communication skills that shows you are relatable. It is so necessary for a large part of our job. If you can show this in your apps, it stands out. :)

Is it sad that i miss school i graduated a year ago and i miss taking notes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it sad that i miss school i graduated a year ago and i miss taking notes

Enjoy the break!! I like school *mostly* as well and decided not to take any classes in the spring. Trying to relax, make money, travel, and enjoy life before I question all my life choices in the fall :p

Enjoy the break!! I like school *mostly* as well and decided not to take any classes in the spring. Trying to relax, make money, travel, and enjoy life before I question all my life choices in the fall :p

Lol it’s not much of a break with 2 jobs and no money i haven’t been accepted anywhere yet so far but fingers crossed

Does anybody have a good compilation of interview questions? I have an interview at the end of January and want the best list possible to practice from. Please and thank you!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anybody have a good compilation of interview questions? I have an interview at the end of January and want the best list possible to practice from. Please and thank you!

Theres an interview page somewhere on SDN that you can select for a specific school and see what people said about their interview experience

Reactions: 3 users

It really depends on the school and their interview style/type. I think two easy ones to practice would be “tell me about yourself” and “why vet med?” But I used the school specific thread for my interview prep and it was spot-on.

Seems quiet on SDN these days, the waiting game continues.

• Hmm
Anyone know when we will hear back from the schools we interviewed at? I have interviewed at Ohio State, VA MD, and Lincoln Memorial. I have 2 more interviews in February at Mississippi State and Auburn. No one has really given me a set time frame when I will hear back!

VMCVM said they will send out decisions by February 14th.

I'd peruse the applicant threads for the individual schools (both the current one and previous years) in order to glean a rough idea of when you might hear back; the search tool will help you out with this. If you still can't find the information you're looking for, you could contact the schools directly via phone or email to ask. Some schools also have application timelines on their websites, in case you haven't checked them yet.

Reactions: 5 users
Usually mid-feb for Ohio state.

my year I heard back from VAMD a week before Ohio...but it’s also been three years so give or take.

Trying to find more information about this: is it wise to submit FAFSA now? I know Tufts had a deadline of some time in February for submitting FAFSA with them and advised that even if you don't know whether you are accepted or not to submit it so that you can be considered for financial aid and scholarships if you are accepted. They say we should list all schools we are expecting to hear back from even if not admitted.

I've tried looking at other university's websites but cannot find a clear answer as to if they want a FAFSA on file with them by a certain date -- or is this information that applicants typically get more information about once they are admitted?

I know for human medical school, even for applicants, their FAFSA deadline is pretty early on in the year so I just want to make sure I don't shoot myself in the foot by submitting too late.

Trying to find more information about this: is it wise to submit FAFSA now? I know Tufts had a deadline of some time in February for submitting FAFSA with them and advised that even if you don't know whether you are accepted or not to submit it so that you can be considered for financial aid and scholarships if you are accepted. They say we should list all schools we are expecting to hear back from even if not admitted.

I've tried looking at other university's websites but cannot find a clear answer as to if they want a FAFSA on file with them by a certain date -- or is this information that applicants typically get more information about once they are admitted?

I know for human medical school, even for applicants, their FAFSA deadline is pretty early on in the year so I just want to make sure I don't shoot myself in the foot by submitting too late.

At my CSU interview the financial advisor spoke with us and she encouraged us all to submit FAFSA as soon as possible. She told us although it's ok to submit later, the priority deadline is March 1st and it would be best to submit before then. She said it didn't matter if we didn't know where we were going to school yet and it was easy to just update that information when we figure it out. Hope that helps!

It is always the best idea to submit it asap. There can be limited scholarships or loans amounts that they run out for those who apply later.
I did all mine when the fafsa opened in October.

Thanks both! This has been helpful :)

loans amounts that they run out for those who apply later.

Scholarships, absolutely. If you are hoping for a scholarship, definitely submit ASAP. But they wont run out of loans; you're guaranteed the cost of attendance.

Anyone getting their letter writers a thank you gift? I got some animal-pun thank you cards but would like to do a small gift ... like a tumbler or something? Coffee mug? Ideas anyone?

Anyone getting their letter writers a thank you gift? I got some animal-pun thank you cards but would like to do a small gift ... like a tumbler or something? Coffee mug? Ideas anyone?
I got them stuff when I asked. Not my boss - but the vet at least I got a bottle of wine he liked. My academic letter writer I got something way back when she was a job reference, but now I just make sure to pop in occasionally and thank her when I have major life stuff happen because I think she actually appreciates more knowing she was a big influence on my life and I think about her, if that makes sense?

I did wine and chocolates for my two letter writers back when I applied. :)

Edited to add: I did this as a thank you for writing the letters they wrote, BEFORE I knew my results.

Last edited:
I got them personalized business cards from moo.com along with some pet products.

Do they have a specific breed or species they like a lot? If so, keychain, mug, T-shirt, socks, etc. I know a lot of people like to do the stuffed pathogen toys you can find online. Chocolates or a favorite snack are never wrong! But honestly, I have most appreciated a heart-felt thank you note :)

Do they have a specific breed or species they like a lot? If so, keychain, mug, T-shirt, socks, etc. I know a lot of people like to do the stuffed pathogen toys you can find online. Chocolates or a favorite snack are never wrong! But honestly, I have most appreciated a heart-felt thank you note :)
All very great ideas!! Thank you :)