Class of 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lhmhtd

℅ something somewhere eventually
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So it's a tad early, but I just wanted to start this thread and see who else is applying to get school this cycle. The application opens in mid May and end in mid September this year.

I'm applying to UGA!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Third times the charm! Officially applying to Purdue, Ohio, and Mizzou

Reactions: 14 users
Excuse me while I:boom: (nothing against you fine people, but I will be graduating in 2016).

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying to at least Mizzou, but I'm considering either Iowa or Kansas State, too. I just can't decide if I'd be willing to take on the OOS tuition if I got into either of them. Haha.

I'm so nervous!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm applying to VMRCVM, Penn, and maybe one or two more schools. Haven't made a final decision yet.

I'm a first timer and trying not to freak out.

Reactions: 2 users
Yaaaay so glad this thread's a thing. :D I'm applying to Texas A&M!

Kind of jealous of the awesomeness of having 2020 as your potential graduation year
We'll be visionaries. Looking towards the future. Scouting our best path through life. Seeking every opportunity.

Reactions: 7 users
Excited to see this thread! It will be my first time application cycle. Currently only applying to WSU (my IS), but possibly also Oregon State. Probably will just be WSU this year though, since I really want to try a few times before I go out of state.

Good luck everyone!

I'm applying to Ohio (IS); just applying to the one school because of poor stats. We'll see what happens. And yeah, 2020 would be cool. :)

We'll be visionaries. Looking towards the future. Scouting our best path through life. Seeking every opportunity.
what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
Colorado, Kansas, and at least 3 other schools that have yet to be decided. Need to send out a few e-mails to see how some schools treat retaken courses. This is either my last go around, or my second to last go around. It really just depends on what happens in the next year in my life.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whenever I thought "crap I'm not gonna get in" this last cycle, I always told myself I'd at least have a shot at being in the awesome C/O 2020, which is way cooler than 2019. I'm so bummed I got in (not really ;)). Let me know if anyone has questions about applying to Florida, Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Kansas, or Michigan. Good luck this next year, guys!

Whenever I thought "crap I'm not gonna get in" this last cycle, I always told myself I'd at least have a shot at being in the awesome C/O 2020, which is way cooler than 2019. I'm so bummed I got in (not really ;)). Let me know if anyone has questions about applying to Florida, Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Kansas, or Michigan. Good luck this next year, guys!

I want you to know that you changing your avatar through me off so bad. I was like, "Who is this guy that came out of nowhere already accepted to school."

I do prefer even numbers...

Hey! I am IS for Mizzou! I am also applying to K-State, Illinois, and possibly Washington. I'm so nervous :/

Another third-timer here! Definitely applying to Mizzou (my IS) again, probably Illinois again since they're the only OOS school that's given me any love, and still deciding on probably 2-3 others. I'm currently on the waitlist at Illinois, but not holding out hope considering they either accept or waitlist everyone who interviews. At this point I'd be a bit annoyed if I get off the waitlist considering I already put down a deposit on an apartment in my current city. :p

I'm considering applying to SGU and/or Ross, because I'm anxious to get in SOMEWHERE this time, but I don't know if I could handle living so far away from family and my SO, and in such a different environment. Regardless, this will probably be my last time applying. I can only take spending almost a full year of my life on this process, with my future up in the air, only to end up back at square one so many times. However, I don't really know what plan B is yet. I'm not really interested in human medicine, research, or teaching, which are the other popular routes to go with a BS in biology. :shrug:

Kind of jealous of the awesomeness of having 2020 as your potential graduation year
Not gonna lie, this is a bit of a silver lining to having to reapply again for me. 2019 is just such an ugly, odd number, plus I graduated high school in 2010, so there's symmetry. ;)

Everybody in this thread: Apply to UTK. It is awesome on its own, plus I will be there and therefore it is double awesome. This has been a public service announcement ;)

Not gonna lie, this is a bit of a silver lining to having to reapply again for me. 2019 is just such an ugly, odd number, plus I graduated high school in 2010, so there's symmetry. ;)
I am deeply offended by this statement. Deeply. Offended. :p

I am deeply offended by this statement. Deeply. Offended. :p
Haha, no offense to any c/o 2019-ers! Of course I'll be overjoyed to get in regardless of graduation year. ;)

Ya'll should apply to OSU. Cuz it's awesome. Even though I won't be there when you start :wow:

Another third-timer here! Definitely applying to Mizzou (my IS) again, probably Illinois again since they're the only OOS school that's given me any love, and still deciding on probably 2-3 others. I'm currently on the waitlist at Illinois, but not holding out hope considering they either accept or waitlist everyone who interviews. At this point I'd be a bit annoyed if I get off the waitlist considering I already put down a deposit on an apartment in my current city. :p

I'm considering applying to SGU and/or Ross, because I'm anxious to get in SOMEWHERE this time, but I don't know if I could handle living so far away from family and my SO, and in such a different environment. Regardless, this will probably be my last time applying. I can only take spending almost a full year of my life on this process, with my future up in the air, only to end up back at square one so many times. However, I don't really know what plan B is yet. I'm not really interested in human medicine, research, or teaching, which are the other popular routes to go with a BS in biology. :shrug:
I'm not sure what your strengths and weaknesses are, but I would consider Midwestern or LMU if I were you.

Oh gods you people will be starting school long after I've finished. Yikes. I could be hiring you guys. Ack.

Ahem.

For the applicants on their second or third try, AVC might be worth a look. The tuition is a bit steeper then other OOS, but it's a great little school with some fantastic faculty, and it's application requirements can favour some applicants with high pre-req GPAs but low cumulative or last 45.

Just out of curiosity.. did you graduate undergrad in 2014?
Yup, graduated last May.

I'm not sure what your strengths and weaknesses are, but I would consider Midwestern or LMU if I were you.
Those are also possibilities. The past two cycles I didn't really consider them because I was leery about going to a new school (not for accreditation reasons, but being a guinea pig for their curriculum and not having previous classes to go to for advice didn't sound appealing), but I guess that's becoming less of an issue as time goes on! But I'm still early in the process of deciding where to apply. I didn't get my last rejection for this cycle until about two weeks ago. :/

Last edited:
Another hopeful 2020-er here! Fingers/arms/legs/toes/eyes/kidneys/etc crossed.

So far, my feelings about applying this year are somewhere on a continuum between feeling pretty comfortable and HOLY SHOOT DANG I'M APPLYING TO VET SCHOOL THIS YEAR.

Exciting times, though. Cheers to all my fellow 2020 hopefuls! :)

Another hopeful 2020-er here! Fingers/arms/legs/toes/eyes/kidneys/etc crossed.

So far, my feelings about applying this year are somewhere on a continuum between feeling pretty comfortable and HOLY SHOOT DANG I'M APPLYING TO VET SCHOOL THIS YEAR.

Exciting times, though. Cheers to all my fellow 2020 hopefuls! :)

Crossing your eyes might result in headaches and crossing your kidneys might result in infarction or hydronephrosis. Probably don't want to cross those... ;)

just posting here so the legend of SOV lasts through another decade.
When you look back at this thread when you graduate for nostalgia think kindly of the old man. :hello:

@LyraGardenia, you have no idea how much I appreciate you also being a 3rd time out person. I also graduated high school in 2010, undergrad in 2014, and is going for 2020. It makes me feel less alone in this wide open world. lol.

@LyraGardenia, you have no idea how much I appreciate you also being a 3rd time out person. I also graduated high school in 2010, undergrad in 2014, and is going for 2020. It makes me feel less alone in this wide open world. lol.
I feel the same way! It can be disheartening seeing so many people on here getting in on their first try. But we got this!

Does anyone else still need to ask for LORs?

I have two of my three lined up already, but I haven't asked my lab PI yet. I'm fairly certain she or the Prof the lab is run by will do it (I mean, they wrote a LOR for my crappy lab partner who bailed on our project after a few months and we had to throw out all her things after she left because she had no notes on procedure and what we did have suggested it was done incorrectly)

If she says no for some reason, I have another prof I could ask, but Ahh.

YAY finally a thread for me :) Current junior in college (first time applicant).. planning to apply to Tufts, Penn, Cornell, Iowa, Lincoln Memorial, Kansas, Virginia-Maryland, Minnesota, Ohio, Midwestern, and Western... I know it's a lot, I plan to narrow it down once I determine how many supplements I'm actually capable of doing.

I have two of my three lined up already, but I haven't asked my lab PI yet. I'm fairly certain she or the Prof the lab is run by will do it (I mean, they wrote a LOR for my crappy lab partner who bailed on our project after a few months and we had to throw out all her things after she left because she had no notes on procedure and what we did have suggested it was done incorrectly)

Whoa, I haven't asked anyone yet... I was under the impression June was the time to ask. I have my list in my head of who I plan to ask.... should I be starting that now? Before VMCAS is even live?

Haha I've barely started thinking about LORs. Granted one will be my undergrad advisor who's written me one the past two years, but the others I'm still deciding on. Asking people for LORs is my least favorite part of the application process. But anyway, it's still early, you're good. Although VMCAS is opening up in May and due in September this year. :eek:

I don't know! I asked one of profs in December because I hadn't seen her since June and didn't want to be asking a year after Id last seen her, and the other one I already have lined up is the vet I work for.

I was still seeing my lab PI on occasion through January, so I didn't ask her yet because I didn't have any worries she wouldn't remember me or something.

I was going to ask my lab PI towards the end of this month before the app opens in May in hopes she'll start writing it and be able to turn it in ASAP once it opens. And if she doesn't, that gives me more time to remind her and make sure she gets it in. She tends to forget things so I think it might actually take the full four months to get her to do it!

On that note, make sure they know that VMCAS has its own procedure for LORs. It would suck if they wrote up a letter and thought they were done and realized they had to fill out the specific thing for VMCAS (I don't actually know what it consists of precisely but I feel like there are multiple questions or something)

I am probably going to start formally asking recommenders for commitments to write letters in May. There are one or two requests that may come later. I would love to get one from the clinic where I am working, but I have only worked there one day so it isn't exactly the right time to ask.

I'm worried as heck about asking for LORs this year. The only vet I have on my roster right now is my equine chiropractor, with whom I've spent like 20 hours with. All my older SA contacts have left the state or will have forgotten about me. Con to volunteering with docs who rotate every month.

Any tips for what I'm supposed to say in an email requesting a letter?

Any tips for what I'm supposed to say in an email requesting a letter?

Just my opinion on this, but it is pretty important and worthy of a face to face request. It is also your last opportunity to evaluate them. You need to know for certain that they are invested enough in it to do a good job. Any emails should be follow-ups with the links and a reminder of the due day.

Edit for spelling.

Last edited:
Just my opinion on this, but it is pretty important and worth of a face to face request. It is also your last opportunity to evaluate them. You need to know for certain that they are invested enough in it to do a good job. Any emails should be follow-ups with the links and a reminder of the due day.

Thank you, I was thinking the same! My plan was to email and ask when his office hours are so I can come in and discuss a potential LOR since he's not my current professor.

edit: unfortunately, one of the people I want to ask is out of state, so that one will have to be an email. But other than that my plan was to send emails to schedule meetings to discuss the potential LOR first.

alert11_.gif

Gunner alert!!

I know I seem eager, but this is more being unsure with how far in advance these things need to be planned than wanting to get things done right away or being a "gunner". But thanks for the assumption?

It's my first time applying, so I wasn't sure of proper etiquette for these things. When I was planning to apply for Masters programs before I changed my plans to trying for vet school, I had an advisor tell me to start asking for letters of rec in the fall of my junior year of Undergrad. This was when I wouldn't have even been submitting my app for over a year. I don't know if he just gave bad advice (at the time I had just started my upper division major classes so I didn't even have anyone I felt comfortable asking yet, so I didn't), but if he felt a year in advance was needed, thinking they need to be lined up a month in advance for vet school really isn't ridiculous.

... thinking they need to be lined up a month in advance for vet school really isn't ridiculous.
Applications aren't due until September, so you're more like 5 months in advance :)

You have plenty of time. I asked my LORs pretty much right before VMCAS opened, then sent them a reminder email when I officially submitted their info via VMCAS, then had to remind a few about once a month (and at the end 2 of them had to be reminded weekly/daily) to make sure it gets in on time.

Some people take all the time they're given to get it done, some will just knock it out right then and there. Just have to keep on top of them and make sure it gets done.

I know I seem eager, but this is more being unsure with how far in advance these things need to be planned than wanting to get things done right away or being a "gunner". But thanks for the assumption?

It's my first time applying, so I wasn't sure of proper etiquette for these things. When I was planning to apply for Masters programs before I changed my plans to trying for vet school, I had an advisor tell me to start asking for letters of rec in the fall of my junior year of Undergrad. This was when I wouldn't have even been submitting my app for over a year. I don't know if he just gave bad advice (at the time I had just started my upper division major classes so I didn't even have anyone I felt comfortable asking yet, so I didn't), but if he felt a year in advance was needed, thinking they need to be lined up a month in advance for vet school really isn't ridiculous.
A year in advance in most cases is a bit extreme, unless something changes, you don't see them often, and they essentially forget about you. I know I'll be asking one of my jobs for a letter at the end of this month, since my position is up in May and I don't know if I'll be back with them in August.
The term "gunner" is used pretty jokingly around here ;) I don't think you're being a gunner, you're planning ahead. Since this is your first application cycle, that's not necessarily a bad thing, making sure all of your ducks are in their specified rows with signatures and stamps :p

Applications aren't due until September, so you're more like 5 months in advance :)

You have plenty of time. I asked my LORs pretty much right before VMCAS opened, then sent them a reminder email when I officially submitted their info via VMCAS, then had to remind a few about once a month (and at the end 2 of them had to be reminded weekly/daily) to make sure it gets in on time.

Some people take all the time they're given to get it done, some will just knock it out right then and there. Just have to keep on top of them and make sure it gets done.

AKA procrastinate and do it last minute. Not that I would do such a thing...

Reactions: 3 users