CLASS OF 2014...how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luplodw

Mississippi c/o 2014!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I figured I'd start this for the upcoming class. I have my coating ceremony and part of my orientation tomorrow!! I'm so nervous, but i'm really excited at the same time. I've already been able to meet 11 of my classmates! They are so awesome. It's weird having people to hang out with that understand what you are/were going through. I will keep you all updated on how everything goes. Class of 2014...here we come!!!

Members don't see this ad.

woohoo!! :woot: i cant believe it is happening!!! have fun tomorrow and keep us posted on your classes this summer!!

Thats SO EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!! :soexcited:

Members don't see this ad :)
Class of 2014...here we come!!!

Ready or not...here IT comes :laugh: ... Good luck!

We start end of August...just long enough for me to start wondering what the heck I've gotten myself into...

Huzzah! Still two months away for me but I await with baited breath.

It's difficult taking the "enjoy your last summer" stuff in stride when I've been waiting 3 years for this. But on the other side, if I've waited that long...

Ohhhh --that's us that's us that's us!!!

:laugh:

:highfive:

I keep going from overjoyed and excited to being a quivering nerve-critter. This is one of the excited moments. Opening my main canine anatomy book for the first time and realizing how much [awesome stuff] I would have to memorize in such a short time was one of those times I couldn't decide how I felt. I guess the bottom line was, "I'm glad I love this subject, because if I didn't I think it would send me crying home to my dog every day (at whose canine sight I would then cry all the harder)."

Baited breath? Haha. It's bated, I think. Do I need to add that to my rant list?

Does he sparkle? If so, he might really mean baited.

/reference to one of my all time least favorite "books"

Opening my main canine anatomy book for the first time and realizing how much [awesome stuff] I would have to memorize in such a short time was one of those times I couldn't decide how I felt.
I did the same thing with my physio book today. I'm so afraid of cardio!!

Congrats to all of you :) I remember posting back when I was starting in 2006, it's sooo exciting.

It's very daunting at first. Sometimes it feels like youre being fed information through firehoses attached to both your ears :)

But you know what? There were only very few times where I felt like I had no life, was stressed to my limit, etc - sure, there are rough times, but you WILL be fine. The everyday life of vet school is not a death sentence on free time and happiness by any stretch of the imagination. Heck, I am one of the most laid-back, i-hate-studying-type people on the face of the earth - I made it intact ;) And don't worry about the initial volume in things like anatomy - these names and concepts will be repeated over and over and over as the years progress - they don't expect you to have it memorized for the rest of your life just upon hearing it once! Heck, I didn't really *learn* anatomy until I took musculoskeletal med, see what I mean? You hear it all again, and that's how you learn, repetition and application!!!

Words of advice: make friends with your professors and technicians early - the more friends you have fourth year, the better. It makes like so much easier when you have people around you that you are already friendly with. Doing a rotation with a clinician you never spoke to can be weird! But don't brown nose to do it - they know what is true interest and what is someone sucking up.

Also, rely on your upperclassmen. Books, scrubs, jackets, words of encouragement, and all that. Most are more than willing to help.

Get a mentor! I went through vet school without one and it definitely made getting info on career choice and residency difficult. I finally found one during my senior year, one of the pathologists I had never really met before because as underclassmen we weren't exposed to the research path people much. But I feel that if I had gotten to know the path folk back in first year, as opposed to third, it would have been must nicer.

Again congrats :) I just saw this thread and had to post :)

I'm moving to OK in less than 3 weeks, and I swear, that scares me than the thought of starting vet school :laugh:

I feel like such a slacker...haven't even looked at the book list or required supply list or anything all that closely. Will worry about that after I move, I suppose.

I'm moving to OK in less than 3 weeks, and I swear, that scares me than the thought of starting vet school :laugh:

I feel like such a slacker...haven't even looked at the book list or required supply list or anything all that closely. Will worry about that after I move, I suppose.

Yeah, arranging the reservation for a moving pod really made it real! :D:eek:

You might want to look into the book/supply list now. For LSU, the order had to be in by June 28th or you would get charged a $75 late fee and might not get your stuff at orientation. I thought it would be more like undergrad, where you go to class first, see what you need and decide if you really have to buy the book, until I got a reminder email that it was due. I ordered one book online and am borrowing the rest from my second-year roommate :love:. I still had to pay for the required class notes ($200!) and my ID though, so check your deadlines!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to all of you :) I remember posting back when I was starting in 2006, it's sooo exciting.

It's very daunting at first. Sometimes it feels like youre being fed information through firehoses attached to both your ears :)

But you know what? There were only very few times where I felt like I had no life, was stressed to my limit, etc - sure, there are rough times, but you WILL be fine. The everyday life of vet school is not a death sentence on free time and happiness by any stretch of the imagination. Heck, I am one of the most laid-back, i-hate-studying-type people on the face of the earth - I made it intact ;) And don't worry about the initial volume in things like anatomy - these names and concepts will be repeated over and over and over as the years progress - they don't expect you to have it memorized for the rest of your life just upon hearing it once! Heck, I didn't really *learn* anatomy until I took musculoskeletal med, see what I mean? You hear it all again, and that's how you learn, repetition and application!!!

Words of advice: make friends with your professors and technicians early - the more friends you have fourth year, the better. It makes like so much easier when you have people around you that you are already friendly with. Doing a rotation with a clinician you never spoke to can be weird! But don't brown nose to do it - they know what is true interest and what is someone sucking up.

Also, rely on your upperclassmen. Books, scrubs, jackets, words of encouragement, and all that. Most are more than willing to help.

Get a mentor! I went through vet school without one and it definitely made getting info on career choice and residency difficult. I finally found one during my senior year, one of the pathologists I had never really met before because as underclassmen we weren't exposed to the research path people much. But I feel that if I had gotten to know the path folk back in first year, as opposed to third, it would have been must nicer.

Again congrats :) I just saw this thread and had to post :)

Thanks for posting this!! i know there have been a billion posts from current students that say similar things but something about this post really calmed me more than the others. I think because it has a positive tone instead of in the "Class of 2013" thread where it is a hugggge negative post followed by "but i still love it" or worse...."i hate it" lol

Thanks for posting this!! i know there have been a billion posts from current students that say similar things but something about this post really calmed me more than the others.

Yes, I totally agree 100%! Thank you WhtsThFrequency :D

I just finished my last day at work. It feels surreal! I'm excited and scared to death simultaneously, but very glad to have a few weeks to rest before I have to move.

I did the same thing with my physio book today. I'm so afraid of cardio!!

Ha, I initially hated cardiology when I took an upper division physiology class. However, after interning for the last few months in a research lab and learning from a vet who does cardiac stem cell and biological pacemaker research, I've changed my tune about cardio...

Baited breath? Haha. It's bated, I think. Do I need to add that to my rant list?
Yes. For the record, I always thought it was 'baited'. Never knew the word 'bate' existed until just now. However, doing so, 'baited breath' still makes more sense to me. Why would you restrict your breathing? You want to live to see whatever you're waiting in anticipation for!

Unless you're fishing. Hopeful, how good are you at snatching fish out of the water with your baited breath?
I'm a ****ing pro! You should see my trophy case.

Finished my last day of work yesterday - bummed, crushed, and soooo sad! I LOVE that place and everyone in it! They were incredibly sweet and threw me a party...complete with gift stethoscope and Target card! :cool:

Right now, I'm finalizing all of my moving stuff, supply and book ordering, packing, etc. I move to Raleigh next Wednesday! Can't believe that in a week, I will be waking up in my new home. It seems surreal and crazy and very exciting all at once.

I still find it hard to believe that I will be sitting in my first lecture in less than 6 weeks. Sometimes it hits me at random moments that, "OMG. It's really, really happening. Four years of school, lots of debt, studying my butt off...to be a veterinarian!" I constantly wonder if they made a mistake because I don't feel nearly ready to take this on!

I still find it hard to believe that I will be sitting in my first lecture in less than 6 weeks. Sometimes it hits me at random moments that, "OMG. It's really, really happening. Four years of school, lots of debt, studying my butt off...to be a veterinarian!" I constantly wonder if they made a mistake because I don't feel nearly ready to take this on!

I feel exactly the same way! Years of working toward this goal, and now here it is, about to begin in the middle of August. It's just hard for me to grasp that is finally is real!

I received all of my textbooks, and I have to say that they both excited me and frightened me at the same time. I love the information in them, I'm just worried about learning it all at once! :laugh:

Soooo I just finished my first day of vet school!! Don't be jealous woop woop! It was amazing. I am so excited for this part of my life. We had part of our orientation today and then we had the coating ceremony. It was such an incredible feeling to have them put the coat on me to signify I was officially a vet student. I honestly teared up when we were reciting the oath. We have a ropes course tomorrow with our whole class. I'm super excited for that. At Miss. State you get your own desk/cubicle area in the anatomy lab and we had name plates on them and everything! We even have "big sibs" who left us presents and some cubicles were all decorated. We had a luncheon and played ice breaker games. It was such an amazing time!! I can't wait for you all to start and have this experience with me!

Last edited:
Don't forget to change your status to Veterinary Student! ;)

Soooo I just finished my first day of vet school!! Don't be jealous woop woop! It was amazing. I am so excited for this part of my life. We had part of our orientation today and then we had the coating ceremony. It was such an incredible feeling to have them put the coat on me to signify I was officially a vet student. I honestly teared up when we were saying the creed or whatever it was. We have a ropes course tomorrow with our whole class. I'm super excited for that. At Miss. State you get your own desk/cubicle area in the anatomy lab and we had name plates on them and everything! We even have "big sibs" who left us presents and some cubicles were all decorated. We had a luncheon and played ice breaker games. It was such an amazing time!! I can't wait for you all to start and have this experience with me!

luplodw: your enthusiasm is contagious! I can't wait to start vet school at the end of august!!!

Here is a picture of our class!

36770_714771984116_6510136_38526418_6933788_n.jpg

ahhhhhh you are making me so excited for school. I know what everyone says...enjoy your summer. I just can't!!! It's like back in the day when you couldn't sleep the night before your first day. It won't be real until I'm thrown into it.

Lotta good looking ladies!

The redhead on the front row.:thumbup:

hmm 22 guys, i wonder how many will be in my class. it's gonna be so weird being in a class with mostly girls!

I ordered my books today...so excited! Oklahoma State has 69 females and 13 males in the class of 2014 so yeah, pretty one sided.

it sucks to be single in vet school, apparently, LOL

If you are female...It's so funny because we only have 22 guys in our class and the majority are either married, engaged, or in long term relationships

I ordered my books today...so excited! Oklahoma State has 69 females and 13 males in the class of 2014 so yeah, pretty one sided.

So wait, there's really only 82 people in OkSU's class? I thought there were more for some reason. No wonder it's so hard to get into!

If you are female...It's so funny because we only have 22 guys in our class and the majority are either married, engaged, or in long term relationships

lol that is so true. our first penn get together ALL the girls who came were taken

Yep only 82 each year, and we have 3 (I think) early admit students included in that number.

It's so cute...we have a married couple in our class

Whaaaaaa thats a lot!! I mean two vet students married to each other not just a vet student married to a non vet student

Whaaaaaa thats a lot!! I mean two vet students married to each other not just a vet student married to a non vet student

OOOOOOOOOOOo hahaha ok that makes more sense. that is so cool!! wow, they are goin to the same school, same year, married? crazy. best study buddy ever!! lol wow the chances that they both got into the same vet school!!! that is even more slim than my bf finding the perfect job in the same city i got accepted!

ps- i just realized something really cool in an older class at penn, there are identical twins in the same class!

OOOOOOOOOOOo hahaha ok that makes more sense. that is so cool!! wow, they are goin to the same school, same year, married? crazy. best study buddy ever!! lol wow the chances that they both got into the same vet school!!! that is even more slim than my bf finding the perfect job in the same city i got accepted!

ps- i just realized something really cool in an older class at penn, there are identical twins in the same class!

Yes and they are the cutest couple ever! They just got married this summer so on some of the stuff we got, the girl still has her old last name on it.

And the identical twin thing is awesome!! It must be so wonderful having such great support going through it

Wow, how awesome Luplodw! You all look sharp in your new coats. Can't believe 2014 is officially started, I think it'll start to feel more real once more schools get going. You'll have to keep us updated with all the wonders of vet school in the meantime.

There's a guy in our Davis class who has the same last name as I do! It's really neat, especially since my last name is not super common (he even has the same first initial as I do, good thing I go by a nickname). I'm beyond exited for September 1, I can't even imagine how awesome it will be to officially start this journey! Can't wait to meet my roomate and classmates, I'm so excited. The anticipation makes my Summer biochem class tolerable.
:love: 2014

Yes and they are the cutest couple ever! They just got married this summer so on some of the stuff we got, the girl still has her old last name on it.

For a moment, I thought you were referring to the twins :laugh:

I am getting more and more excited for school every day, and more and more worried about my finances! I am lucky and have a husband who will help support us as far as rent, etc, but it is still nerve-wracking.

I think I am most afraid of how much from physiology I have forgotten in the past 4 years. I really should brush up, I guess.

One thing that I have a bit of social anxiety about is that I am an RVT, and have 9 years of small animal general practice experience. I am afraid that I will either a) be stigmatized or b) come off as a smartypants when I will just be trying to be helpful.

One thing that I have a bit of social anxiety about is that I am an RVT, and have 9 years of small animal general practice experience. I am afraid that I will either a) be stigmatized or b) come off as a smartypants when I will just be trying to be helpful.

Happened to me throughout vet school. Including junior surgery lab where I was told by my group to not speak unless I was specifically asked a question. *sigh*

Fine, I'll just hold the dog while you poke it a dozen times (literally) incorrectly trying to hit the jugular vein. Not allowed to give you any suggestions.

All I can say is to keep your head down and mouth closed. Your friends will appreciate your knowledge/the way you can frame certain concepts, and the others probably won't--but they're not worth it. OH, and any questions you ask of your professors about stuff based on your experience/stuff your classmates haven't been exposed to yet--have those conversations out of the earshot of other classmates.

That said--I think vet school is a LOT more fun if you have a great technical background! :) :thumbup: Best of luck!!! You will do GREAT! :)

Last edited:

Psh, if our classmates aren't able (or willing) to see your expertise as a good thing, then they don't know what they're going to be missing out on! I personally would loooove some technical and clinical SA advice...the only thing I really have to offer in return is equine help though hehe.

Funny, I have the same fear! On the plus side, there are a lot of people who appreciate the help :) And then on the downside there are people who get angry when you offer any advice...I usually figure its because they feel threatened or like I'm trying to one up them even if I'm genuinely just trying to help them. My favorite phrases are "I looked it up on the internet" (clients), "We just got taught that this morning" (students) or "Well, that's not mentioned in the literature" (doctors).

My general rule of thumb is to stay quiet unless its part of my job or someone asks for help. If a person is having a lot of trouble I'll generally ask "Can I make a suggestion?". But, I can't teach someone who doesn't want to learn, and I don't need to add the stress of arguing with someone to my life.

And I figure we'll have PLENTY to learn too. So maybe we can barter technical skills for explaining the Kreb cycle again or something....

Count me among the many who would appreciate your experience!

I need clinical help!! lol especially since ive never drawn blood on a SA. I agree with everyone else though, the type of reaction you could get just depends on the person. I'm sure even some really nice people may react poorly. But others, like myself, would love some advice!! I guess I'm used to getting it because every time I volunteer at a new place the techs give me advice on how things are done "their way" and I just have to suck it up and realize that I am volunteering for a different person who likes things done another way