CK failed need help, 4th attempt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ro152

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I failed the CK 3 times already now. I am super scared. I cannot pass this exam for some reason. I did a study course, read kaplan material and now reading step 3 material. I don't know what I am doing wrong. Please give me any advice that can help me pass. I know I am already screwed but if I pass, then at least some other doctors in the community can help me out with some possible residency spots. Should I start reading the current diagnostics book too? I feel like I am lacking in knowledge and other people are easily passing the exam.

CK 1st attempt - 175
CK 2nd attempt - 193
CK 3rd attempt -207

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you do on Step 1 and/or shelf exams? (you don't have to share)

It'll help us understand where your deficits lie.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to start from the beginning. UFAP it up. Take at least 2 months to go through everything. Then take it again.
This is step 2. UFAP doesn't help here.

OP, it's over. I'll guess that you are an IMG or FMG. There is no way you would be continuing school in US when you failed CK three times. It's time for another plan or simply practice medicine at wherever you graduated. There is no community doctor can help you to match in residency with that multiple red flags. Moreover, the situation will just get worse each year as there are more american graduates to take up residency spots. Sorry, the reality is harsh. You shouldn't have failed CK even once.

Last edited:
If you don't mind me asking, how did you do on Step 1 and/or shelf exams? (you don't have to share)

well I passed step 1 a long time ago at 193, so it wasn't great. I did my medical training in Europe.

This is step 2. UFAP doesn't help here.

OP, it's over. I'll guess that you are an IMG or FMG. There is no way you would be contining school in US when you failed CK three times. It's time for another plan or simply practice medicine at wherever you graduated. There is no community doctor can help you to match in residency with that multiple red flags. Moreover, the situation will just get worse each year as there are more american graduates to take up residency spots. Sorry, the reality is harsh. You shouldn't have failed CK even once.

Yeah I studied in Europe. Well thank you for your honest opinion but I will try to pass it this time just to get it done. If I don't get a residency here I will apply else where. But I know people that failed 5 times that still got it. You only need one spot out of hundreds so I will take my chances.

As far as the clinical exams etc, My worst was neurology but I fixed that now. On the practice tests its always surgery that is the problem. The nbme's are always showing that I am bad at surgery.

I am just curious cause people are saying they are getting 240 or something from MTB but those books are garbage for me. I don't know if you get what I mean but I want to know the reading material source for most of the questions on the exam. That way I can atleast get a 220 or something.

ok another guy sent me a message saying I should provide a lot more information. Ok so here goes. My Uworld total average percentage for my last attempt was 65%. Each test I would get 75% to 63% usually. These are mixed timed blocks. For each attempt I studed a good 5 months. I should mention that I graduated a long time ago. So each attempt was almost 1 year each. I will try to attach my recent NBME that I took yesterday. It was a huge improvement from before, but still not like a 220 or anything yet.

I used to have a lot of problems reading the questions cause the stems were long. But After I did this course in chicago I can now highlight /read the stems a bit easier. So time management on reading has improved a lot. But sometimes when I read the stem I can't figure out what the actual problem is. For example before I couldn't get a differential at all on some questions. But I improved on that recently with the step 3 management book. That's probably why the score improved. I feel like I am still missing something to get that boost to 220 plus. I did do the uworld 3 times like I said on the most recent attempt. I also used the step up book and some kaplan notes. Also the notes from the review course in chicago.

My usual schedule is to do a mixed test, see what the problems are. Find one of the low subjects do the uworld blocks for that subject then read up on step up or any review material.

Here is another NMBE but this is number 6, this was easier for me. This was also from last year before I made the attempt.

My bad I thought you said Step 1. For Step 2 CK you need to hone in on UWorld again and again along with a guide such as Step Up to Medicine or Step up to Step 2 CK or First Aid.

Yeah the problem is that is what everyone told me to do. I did that but the real exam only had like 10% of the uworld type questions the rest seemed completely different.

The next step is to go through UWorld with a fine toothed comb. Read every question and answer carefully and annotate what made you choose the wrong answer instead of the right one. If you don't know why then go to a study guide. You need to do this with your full concentration and without any distractions. Good luck.

I feel like you may have a deficiency with test taking + fund of knowledge. You're almost there, but you'll need to make a plan if you're going to attempt this test again. I wouldn't write it again in haste.

My recommendation (for whatever it's worth) would be to go back and watch kaplan lectures, get comfortable with the information you need to know for this exam. Once you get through Kaplan, I'd go and do multiple q banks (Kaplan and U World or USMLE Rx and UWorld) so that you have as much practice answering standardized question stems. I would do all of these tests in random, timed settings.

After this, I'd attempt the U World Mock Exam and/or 2 NBMEs.

I personally think this should be enough to get you to get through this exam and I would take my time with this.

Anyways, I wish you goodluck on your endeavours and hope this helps!