Cincinnati MS in Physiology 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrandNewDay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I took a quick look around the forum, and it doesn't seem like there's a thread for this program and class yet. I was thinking we could get to know each other- at least some of us will end up classmates come August!

Alternately, you can scope out the competition. It's your choice.

Has anybody applied yet? Has anybody heard back?

Members don't see this ad.

Alrighty, talking to myself. That's cool.

I got my app sent off, woohoo! These things are NOT cheap, though.

Haha, I'll talk to you, B. I just was told that my application was complete as of 12/9. Now the waiting begins. Where else are you applying, if you don't mind me asking?

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, I'll talk to you, B. I just was told that my application was complete as of 12/9. Now the waiting begins. Where else are you applying, if you don't mind me asking?

WOOOOOOOHOOOOOO, I HAVE FRIENDS!

(If you get the reference you're doubly awesome).

This will be the only SMP I apply to, actually. I finished my application for Tufts and Georgetown, but I couldn't live in Boston or DC to save my life. :smuggrin:

Yay cincy! I was born in Ohio and have been back to cincy a few times. I'm quite fond of their zoo.

What are your stats? Hopefully we won't be waiting too long- first review is in mid-january.

Dang, if we're the only two applying, it'll be a lonely year. :D

Hey! I'm applying to this program too. I've just been accepted to the EVMS program, so it will be a tough choice if I get into this one as well. Haven't heard a peep yet, except that I was complete on 12/7. Here's to hoping for all of us!!

Wonderful!

You see, B. You need to have faith and others will show, haha.

kmc, let me know what you're thinking. I have also been accepted to EVMS and awaiting UCinci's, and it would be nice to hear your thought process on deciding...

Hey! I'm applying to this program too. I've just been accepted to the EVMS program, so it will be a tough choice if I get into this one as well. Haven't heard a peep yet, except that I was complete on 12/7. Here's to hoping for all of us!!

If you don't mind my asking, how long did it take for you to be marked complete? My status check says everything has been received, but I haven't gotten an email.

If you don't mind my asking, how long did it take for you to be marked complete? My status check says everything has been received, but I haven't gotten an email.

B, where on the application website do you see a status check? All I see is my application summary and nothing more. I'm trying to locate the status check to let you know the time it took between everything being received and the completion of the app. email.

B, where on the application website do you see a status check? All I see is my application summary and nothing more. I'm trying to locate the status check to let you know the time it took between everything being received and the completion of the app. email.

https://gradapps.uc.edu/GradCheckMyStatus/

Here you go! It doesn't have dates of receipt, though, so I'm not sure how much help it'll be.

I got the email very soon after sending in the final parts of my application. The email came from Jeannie, and just stated that everything had been received and my application was complete. The email also mentioned that they usually review applications within 4-6 weeks of receiving them.

NJD - It will definitely be a tough choice if accepted here as well. I think the chances for me are slim for Cinci since my MCAT is lower than 30 (28), but I will keep you posted. Good luck!!

I am most likely applying in the next week.

I got the email very soon after sending in the final parts of my application. The email came from Jeannie, and just stated that everything had been received and my application was complete. The email also mentioned that they usually review applications within 4-6 weeks of receiving them.

NJD - It will definitely be a tough choice if accepted here as well. I think the chances for me are slim for Cinci since my MCAT is lower than 30 (28), but I will keep you posted. Good luck!!

Well darn. It's been about a week- do you think it's worth waiting until after the holidays to email?

Edit: Also- did you send your actual MCAT scores or just the verification code thing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well darn. It's been about a week- do you think it's worth waiting until after the holidays to email?

Edit: Also- did you send your actual MCAT scores or just the verification code thing?

B, send them an e-mail or call on Tuesday. For my MCAT score, I believe that I just saved my score as a PDF and uploaded it in the application. You can get the MCAT score by generating one on the aamc website where your scores are located.

B, send them an e-mail or call on Tuesday. For my MCAT score, I believe that I just saved my score as a PDF and uploaded it in the application. You can get the MCAT score by generating one on the aamc website where your scores are located.

I got the score report, but couldn't manage to get it saved into a PDF. I'm technologically challenged. I did send my verification code, though. They listed that as the other option.

I printed out a copy of my score report and mailed it to Jeannie. I would probably just call or email tomorrow or this week to check on everything.

I'm still working on the application :( I know I'm late but better late than never, right? I was just wondering what you guys wrote for the CV -- should you just basically list all the activities, achievements, etc? I want this to be over already haha. Thanks in advance :)

It's not late.

As for the CV, google what some look like and choose the format you like best. I used an expanded resume so that I can elucidate on each thing, explaining it. I began with a header, then went education, work experience, awards and achievements, and then professional development (shadowing, volunteering, student government, etc.); in reverse chronological order. Personally I found it satisfying to write out this resume because it helped me reflect back on myself, and to see what I have accomplished. Enjoy it, haha. Let me know if you still need help.

Last edited:
Just got my application done for this program. It says they start looking at applications in the middle of January and have their first round of acceptance/rejection then. Here's to hoping things go well. Just gotta get my transcripts and rec letters sent in.

Just got my application done for this program. It says they start looking at applications in the middle of January and have their first round of acceptance/rejection then. Here's to hoping things go well. Just gotta get my transcripts and rec letters sent in.

Have you received a complete email yet? I'm planning on calling today to check on my status.

EDIT: Called and talked to Jeannie- apparently the letters go through some external service which then submits them to cincy. One of my letters (the first one submitted) was only sent to cincy on the 28th. The others, apparently, are fine. I should be receiving a complete email tomorrowish and I'll be eligible for the first round of reviews.:soexcited:

Last edited:
Not yet, I still have to send in my transcripts. Unfortunately, I got my current transcripts before last semester was over so I need to get updated ones to send out, but my rec. letters have been sent out so hopefully they get these last two things before the first round of reviews. I thought I was going to be late since the applications opened up in November, but I think I'm just gonna make it.

Not yet, I still have to send in my transcripts. Unfortunately, I got my current transcripts before last semester was over so I need to get updated ones to send out, but my rec. letters have been sent out so hopefully they get these last two things before the first round of reviews. I thought I was going to be late since the applications opened up in November, but I think I'm just gonna make it.

The "deadline" for this program is June 1st- you're not late. We're just all very neurotic. It sounds like, as long as you get those transcripts in, you'll be fine.

Current Cincy masters student here. I'm willing to answer questions if you've got any.

I can certainly say that none of you are at all late with your applications. I mean, it definitely helps to be early (which you are if you've already applied), but quite a few of the current people didn't apply till February or later.

Current Cincy masters student here. I'm willing to answer questions if you've got any.

I can certainly say that none of you are at all late with your applications. I mean, it definitely helps to be early (which you are if you've already applied), but quite a few of the current people didn't apply till February or later.

Are you applying this cycle? Any acceptances? And (if it's not too personal) what is your GPA in the program so far?

Rapidfire questioning complete.

I am applying this cycle and so are 30 of the 31 other students, I believe. This program is pretty well geared toward supporting a same-year application if that's your goal.

I had one interview at another school that I haven't heard back from yet, and my UC interview is upcoming.

I don't want to drop GPA bombs because I know some of my classmates have figured out my SDN handle, but I've done well and have certainly helped my chances. However, one thing you'll need to get used to is the idea that straight A's are not really as reasonable an expectation as in undergrad. This is a very rigorous curriculum and as long as you beat the medical mean you are in good shape, even if your transcript has B's on it.

I am applying this cycle and so are 30 of the 31 other students, I believe. This program is pretty well geared toward supporting a same-year application if that's your goal.

I had one interview at another school that I haven't heard back from yet, and my UC interview is upcoming.

I don't want to drop GPA bombs because I know some of my classmates have figured out my SDN handle, but I've done well and have certainly helped my chances. However, one thing you'll need to get used to is the idea that straight A's are not really as reasonable an expectation as in undergrad. This is a very rigorous curriculum and as long as you beat the medical mean you are in good shape, even if your transcript has B's on it.

Would you say the SMP helped get you those interviews, or did you have some the previous cycle?

I had one interview last year.

At most SMPs, have the best shot of getting in to that particular school and this is even more true in the case of a same-year application. I can say for sure that my UC interview was due to my performance in the program, and I'm not sure if the other one was influenced by it but I think it helped.

Argh. There's apparently a problem with one of my letters- a corrupted file or something. I hope my writer gets it uploaded quickly enough- I really want to get that complete email in time for the first review.

Argh. There's apparently a problem with one of my letters- a corrupted file or something. I hope my writer gets it uploaded quickly enough- I really want to get that complete email in time for the first review.

Haha, I've had some problems too, B. One of my undergraduate institutions sent my official transcript to my mother's house! Just wonderful. You still got your application in very early so don't worry about it.

Haha, I've had some problems too, B. One of my undergraduate institutions sent my official transcript to my mother's house! Just wonderful. You still got your application in very early so don't worry about it.

Apparently the letter was corrupted. It should get uploaded soon, but I really want to get an acceptance. Are you planning on attending if you're accepted?

Hi all,

I was complete around 12/10/11, and accepted 12/29/11 though I believe the turnaround was delayed by Christmas vacation.

Good luck! :luck:

Hi all,

I was complete around 12/10/11, and accepted 12/29/11 though I believe the turnaround was delayed by Christmas vacation.

Good luck! :luck:

Dang- I thought Jeannie said the first round of reviews hadn't happened yet. XD

Are you planning on attending if you're accepted?

It is very high on my list, but I haven't fully decided. However my inclinations may change if I receive an e-mail that says "Congratulations!" haha.

86 that. Waitlisted :eek:.

"Dear Sir, You're good, but not that good." haha. I suppose fate is stepping in for me because I don't have the cojones to do so myself.

86 that. Waitlisted :eek:.

"Dear Sir, You're good, but not that good." haha. I suppose fate is stepping in for me because I don't have the cojones to do so myself.

I'm still leaning towards EVMS, so perhaps i'll see you there. I think I may head out at the end of may to apt hunt and make my final decision.

Argh- am I really missing the first round of reviews because of a corrupted letter? =(

Waitlisted too. It's looking more and more like EVMS for me!

I was marked complete this morning. Yay! Here's to hoping I get an answer soon.

I guess I need to decide between EVMS and Georgetown; very tough decision. Anyone else apply to these two programs other than UCinci?

I guess I need to decide between EVMS and Georgetown; very tough decision. Anyone else apply to these two programs other than UCinci?

Have you applied to medical school before? Will Georgetown get you into your favorite school?

I have applied this cycle and have been wait listed at Drexel COM. It is a long worrisome process, and personally I'd just like to get in somewhere. UCinci and EVMS have the tightest linkages to their host school, so they would be my choice over Gtown. All depends on if you want to risk a gap year for a "better" school.

Also, I would MUCH rather be in a class of 20-25.

And Ghent sounds fancy

Have you applied to medical school before? Will Georgetown get you into your favorite school?

I have not applied to medical school yet, but I assume that I need a SMP to get in. So instead of applying this June without attending a SMP this August, I would apply while attending a SMP; in the case that I don't get in this cycle I will then have a full year of SMP grades to report on next years application cycle. Does that make sense? I am trying not to waste any more years.

I noticed that a couple student from this program have gotten into my top choice in the past years. So I am assuming it will help. A lot of assumptions!

Have you gone to Gtowns alumni page? It has info on where students have gone after the program. http://smp.georgetown.edu/alumni/

If you feel you are on the cusp of getting into your favorite school, then I would recommend Gtown.

I know how you feel. What seemed a sure decision before (EVMS vs UCin) is now becoming quite difficult!

Hey guys, to those that applied already, how many and what kind of LoRs did you have to send in? Their applications are closed until Jan 30 it seems and I can't seem to find a list of requirements for when it opens again.

I sent in 5. 2 from work, 1 humanities, and 2 bio. I can't remember the minimum number or type though.

Hey guys, to those that applied already, how many and what kind of LoRs did you have to send in? Their applications are closed until Jan 30 it seems and I can't seem to find a list of requirements for when it opens again.

Two faculty are required- three total letters are needed. I sent a science, non-science, and work/volunteer letter.

Hello all, I'm just looking for some advice and this thread caught my attention. Do you think I will be able to gain acceptance into the program with a 2.9-3.0 UG gpa and a 20 MCAT? (Took the MCAT without studying much at all, while taking Orgo 2 and an upper level bio course. Plan to retake in March, but also plan to apply for this program before then) Any advice appreciated!

Thanks!

From the website:

Selection of candidates for acceptance into the master's program is based on overall undergraduate college performance, letters of recommendation from three individuals (a least two letters must be from university/college faculty), MCAT scores, and a written personal statement from the applicant defining their interest in the program. Applicants usually have an overall GPA of at least 3.0 and total MCAT scores of at least 27.

Study hard and apply after you retake the MCAT in March. Good luck!

Whats with the "hold" on applications till the 29th!:eek:

Not sure, maybe they are waiting to see how many accept from the first wave?