Choosing between US and Scandinavian countries for Medical Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smashingdude

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am stuck in a serious dilemma. I am a non-EU medical student graduating from an EU country(Romania). I am currently in the last year of M.D. I had the following queries, and I was hoping you guys can help me out. Of course, I am only posting this thread after searching a lot in the forums.

1. Which is a better to apply for residency? USA or Norway or Sweden? I am so confused as to where to pursue my career {I want to do IM/Cardiology}. I know this is hard question, but all these places have their pros/cons and I am so freaking confused. I am more inclined towards Sweden, but I don't speak the language. For US, I'll have to clear the Steps. So in a way, I am willing to spend one year in learning either the language or clearing the steps. I'll appreciate all your advises/insights/experience etc.

2. Also, linking up the previous question. Which residency will be better in the long-run? I keep hearing that US is becoming increasingly hard to match, and surprisingly, the same is true for Norway. I guess Sweden seems a good option. I'll be glad if someone can share his/her experience in Sweden.

3. And lastly, if anyone of you has applied into the Swedish Medical System, I'll be very thankful if he/she can list out some of the important steps in getting into the residency. So far, I know I have to apply for the licence (from the socialstreynsen site), that I am exempt from any exams, that I'll have to learn the language. But, other then that, I don't have a clue.(Like is there some kind of proficiency language exam like the Bergen for Germany, and is this requirement necessary for getting the license??)

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Dr Ain
UMF 6th year of M.D
Iasi, Romania

Members don't see this ad.