Choosing a school...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Finn12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am trying to make a decision on what school I think would be the best choice and although I have my personal beliefs, I wanted to hear what other people had to say. I was recently accepted at WVSOM and have the first set of interviews at A.T. Still (KCOM) next week. I also have an interview soon with MSUCOM. I am a Michigan resident and since MSU is so expensive, there isn't much of a difference in tuition costs. I have two additional interviews at PNW and KYCOM, but I am going to decline them. MSU, KCOM, and WVSOM are my top three choices and I would like to hear what your thoughts are about them. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

MSUCOM and KCOM are very established, so I would narrow your choices down to those two (if you are accepted). If MSUCOM accepts you, I would go there in a heartbeat. Great school, reputation, and opportunities since it's tied into the MSU MD program as well. You are also a Michigan resident, so I'm guessing staying closer to home is a plus.

In the end, choose somewhere that you feel will train you to become a successful physician, as well as a place you would enjoy living for 4 years of your life.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Full disclaimer: I'm starting in the MSUCOM Class of 2022 in June, so I'm a bit partial.

If you're a Michigan resident it's hard to beat MSUCOM. They've been established for decades, which is something that most DO schools can't even come close to saying. I work with physicians that are alumni and have friends at various points in the program and they rave about it. Great network of base hospitals and residency programs throughout the state.

I don't know much about KCOM but from what I understand WVSOM is particularly focused on rural medicine, so if that's not your interest, I would go with MSUCOM if you're accepted to both. MSUCOM, I feel, offers far more opportunities to pursue your personal interests in medicine rather than having a particular focus within osteopathic medicine. Opportunities for international outreach, urban medicine, under-served populations, etc

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
MSUCOM and KCOM are very established, so I would narrow your choices down to those two (if you are accepted). If MSUCOM accepts you, I would go there in a heartbeat. Great school, reputation, and opportunities since it's tied into the MSU MD program as well. You are also a Michigan resident, so I'm guessing staying closer to home is a plus.

In the end, choose somewhere that you feel will train you to become a successful physician, as well as a place you would enjoy living for 4 years of your life.

Best of luck!
Full disclaimer: I'm starting in the MSUCOM Class of 2022 in June, so I'm a bit partial.

If you're a Michigan resident it's hard to beat MSUCOM. They've been established for decades, which is something that most DO schools can't even come close to saying. I work with physicians that are alumni and have friends at various points in the program and they rave about it. Great network of base hospitals and residency programs throughout the state.

I don't know much about KCOM but from what I understand WVSOM is particularly focused on rural medicine, so if that's not your interest, I would go with MSUCOM if you're accepted to both. MSUCOM, I feel, offers far more opportunities to pursue your personal interests in medicine rather than having a particular focus within osteopathic medicine. Opportunities for international outreach, urban medicine, under-served populations, etc
Thank you both for your insight! MSUCOM has always been my top choice until recently when I discovered that their class of 2018 COMLEX score average was 30 points lower than the national average. Although I'm sure that will make a turn for the better, it just made me a bit skeptical.

Go on interviews and see what vibes you get from each school

I hadn't heard that myself and it's obviously a bit concerning. But doing a little research it seems that that was with a new pilot board prep program of sorts? So there's bound to be some hiccups with that, unfortunately for the class of 2018. I would be shocked if that number doesn't increase significantly in the next two years.

if you get an acceptance to MSU you would be making a huge mistake to not go. Their network of GME is the envy of every other DO school in the country, even mine.

Reactions: 1 users