Is where you want to live a big consideration when choosing a medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samurai5511

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am accepted to both KCU-Kansas City and ARCOM. As of now, I am pretty much 100 percent leaning towards KCU because it is more established and seems to have better opportunities.
I am wondering how the school I go to will affect where I live after residency. I want to settle down somewhere in The Southern United States because I was born and raised in Texas.
If I go somewhere like KCU, would this be an impediment to this goal or, could I still come back in the future?
I am pretty set on KCU but, this is something I have been discussing with my friends and family recently.

Members don't see this ad.

Residency can always be a coin flip but once you’re done with residency, you can move anywhere.

Reactions: 1 users
It was a consideration for me as well, but in the end I think going to a more established school will definitely help us out in terms of quality/availability of rotations and access to an alumni network vs going to a newer school which may not have ironed out the kinks in its curriculum or doesn't have as many opportunities for us to pad our CVs when it comes time to apply to residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
KCU over ARCOM. Where ever u go doesn’t matter you’ll be studying so much anyways. As mentioned above the institution matters most and quality of education.

I interviewed at KCU, it seemed like a fun town with things to do plus if I recall correctly (and if I don't someone can comment) but unlike most DO schools they have solid rotations.

For what its worth I am from Texas and I go to KCU and there's a bunch of us here. I got into KCU and NYIT-Jonesboro campus and chose KCU. There was a lot of people in this year's match who matched in Texas

Reactions: 1 user
For what its worth I am from Texas and I go to KCU and there's a bunch of us here. I got into KCU and NYIT-Jonesboro campus and chose KCU. There was a lot of people in this year's match who matched in Texas
Good, to hear! Hope to see yall there!

Go to the school, or residency for that matter,, that best helps you achieve your career goals. Being close to home or family is secondary IMO. Congrats on the admission!. Good luck and best wishes!