Choosing a moving company

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eric275

Prosthodontist
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any of you active duty guys have any advice when letting the military move your household goods in choosing a moving company? Should I just let them randomly assign me a company or it best to choose? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

you dont get to choose unless you do a DITY move. United will probably be moving your stuff.

you dont get to choose unless you do a DITY move. United will probably be moving your stuff.

Most people believe that, I just confirmed this with the case officer submitting my paperwork at the HHG PPM office and I was told I can give a preferrence and as long as they are contracted with the government, have a 100 rating, and I provide the SCAC code. Granted they said it's not a guarantee but if all above conditions are met, it can.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'd just let the army pick it. they usually only use movers with a "100" rating. if they don't use the highest rated company, it is a pain in the arse for the transportation company to fill out all the paperwork justifying why they are using the lower rated company.

Most people believe that, I just confirmed this with the case officer submitting my paperwork at the HHG PPM office and I was told I can give a preferrence and as long as they are contracted with the government, have a 100 rating, and I provide the SCAC code. Granted they said it's not a guarantee but if all above conditions are met, it can.

Im prior military and moved ALOT. I was never given a choice of movers unless I wanted to do a DITY move. May be different with the army but the Navy never gave me a choice. The movers they picked were great tho, never had a problem with them.

Im prior military and moved ALOT. I was never given a choice of movers unless I wanted to do a DITY move. May be different with the army but the Navy never gave me a choice. The movers they picked were great tho, never had a problem with them.

When setting up my current move with the Navy it wasn't until I was about ready to hang up the phone that I asked about it. They never mentioned it at all when confirming all of my info. Once I asked about it they gave me the info and the requirements for the moving company if I decided to choose one.

That's good to hear about no problems with the movers they chose, that was my biggest concern.

Thanks

When setting up my current move with the Navy it wasn't until I was about ready to hang up the phone that I asked about it. They never mentioned it at all when confirming all of my info. Once I asked about it they gave me the info and the requirements for the moving company if I decided to choose one.

That's good to hear about no problems with the movers they chose, that was my biggest concern.

Thanks
Very interesting. Are your sure you're not giving anything up if you pick the mover?

Very interesting. Are your sure you're not giving anything up if you pick the mover?

The person I spoke with said as long as they have a contract with the government, have over a 100 rating and I provide the SCAC code it was perfectly fine.

They said these are the same requirements that they use to assign you a moving company. Typically they just rotate through the list of approved carriers so that they all get an equal share of the military moves, but your more than welcome to request a specific company.

The person I spoke with said as long as they have a contract with the government, have over a 100 rating and I provide the SCAC code it was perfectly fine.

They said these are the same requirements that they use to assign you a moving company. Typically they just rotate through the list of approved carriers so that they all get an equal share of the military moves, but your more than welcome to request a specific company.
When you pick one, please post some of the criteria you used to make your decision. I'm sure that's some info others would like to have in the future.