All Branch Topic (ABT) Choosing state to license in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ramborhino

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those active duty how did you choose which state to license in? I know you just need any state license to practice in the military but feel like there are a few other factors that play into it.
-The state with cheapest licensing fees that accepts your licensing exam.
-The state that you practice in the military, so you can moonlight.
-The state you will eventually land up in after your service.

Thanks for any insight/tips!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I chose the state where I went to dental school bc it was only $25 at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If you do the AEGD with the military then don't you get the NY license without need for taking the licensing exam?

If you do the AEGD with the military then don't you get the NY license without need for taking the licensing exam?

From USAREC Form 601-37.26, signed prior to accession during 4th year - "I understand I must take and pass Part I and II National Boards and a State or Regional Board examination which will lead to state licensure prior to entering active duty. I further understand I must obtain a valid unrestricted dental license within 1 year of graduation . . . New graduates who have not achieved state licensure after the 1 year waiver period are subjected to involuntary separation and recoupment of any or all incentive/scholarship monies paid. Failure to complete this requirement will result in revocation of appointment and/or active duty orders."

So no, you cannot just complete the AEGD 1-year program.

From USAREC Form 601-37.26, signed prior to accession during 4th year - "I understand I must take and pass Part I and II National Boards and a State or Regional Board examination which will lead to state licensure prior to entering active duty. I further understand I must obtain a valid unrestricted dental license within 1 year of graduation . . . New graduates who have not achieved state licensure after the 1 year waiver period are subjected to involuntary separation and recoupment of any or all incentive/scholarship monies paid. Failure to complete this requirement will result in revocation of appointment and/or active duty orders."

So no, you cannot just complete the AEGD 1-year program.

Interesting little difference between the branches then. Navy requires us to have license within 12 months of graduation, or within 18 months if doing AEGD/GPR. Navy gives option to pursue a license through PGY-1 program. No regional licensing exam is required if you want to go this route, but you do forfeit the 20K bonus for the first year so there is little incentive to go this route, but it does take the pressure off a bit if you are doing a GPR/AEGD.