Chiropractors are doctors too

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Try not to let such poorly informed opinions ruffle you. It isn't worth it, when you are faced with willful ignorance. I just pray for them that they don't have to find out the value of professional nurses through personal misfortune.
3699033+_cd24f4ad8f0e8b6522597abb9f3537b8.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users
Only DO/MD are medical doctors who practice medicine. Deal with it. Don't like it? Go to med school. Don't see any DO's or MD's whining about if they are docs or not. I wonder why lol. Because they actually are. Truth hurts sometimes.
In case you're confused.
Md = doctor of medicine
Do = doctor of osteopathic medicine
Dpm = doctor of podiatric medicine
Dvm = doctor of veterinary medicine

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In case you're confused.
Md = doctor of medicine
Do = doctor of osteopathic medicine
Dpm = doctor of podiatric medicine
Dvm = doctor of veterinary medicine
No I'm not talking about degrees conferred. I get that. Everyone has a "doctorate". I'm talking about practicing medicine as a medical doctor, and there's only 2 on your list that can do that

Reactions: 1 user
No I'm not talking about degrees conferred. I get that. Everyone has a "doctorate". I'm talking about practicing medicine as a medical doctor, and there's only 2 on your list that can do that
Everyone with a degree I listed are doctors and they practice medicine. I think you're confused. Unless you're talking about some insignificant technicality I'm not seeing.

Last edited:
Chiropractic Without Borders in action:

Alternative medicine isn’t the best way to spend your time or money, but I understand that there are some people who find a few alternative medical practices comforting and relaxing for various personal or cultural reasons; for example, cooking your Grandmother’s special bitter melon soup recipe and getting an aromatherapy massage are both rooted in alternative medicine. As long as the following conditions are satisfied (they usually aren’t), then I’m not as concerned about people using alternative medicine:
  • The patients are competent, consenting adults who are well educated about the differences in efficacy and scientific accuracy between alternative medicine and allopathic/osteopathic medicine
  • The patients are still seeking and obtaining effective allopathic/osteopathic treatment for their medical problems
  • Their support for medically ineffective and scientifically inaccurate alternative medical practices does not compromise their own health or the health of others
  • Spending money and time on alternative medical treatments isn’t compromising their ability to obtain the necessities in their life
  • No one is taking advantage of the ignorant or misleading others
That being said, many things associated with the alternative medicine community are fairly infuriating. I thought it was a joke/satire when I first heard about some of the Médecins Sans Frontières wannabe groups like Naturopaths Without Borders, Homeopaths Without Borders (HMB), and the Canadian group Terre Sans Frontières. According to their website, HWB has traveled to Haiti, Sri Lanka, Guatemala, El Salvador, and the Dominican Republic to “treat” the legitimate medical complaints of desperate, poverty stricken people who normally have very limited access to actual healthcare. These patients probably have no educational basis to understand the difference between Homeopathic and Allopathic/Osteopathic medicine, and they are probably less likely to seek actual medical care if they are made to believe that lightly dabbing their tongue with a 0.00001ppb solution of essence of Romaine lettuce every morning is enough to keep their cancer from killing them. HWB not only hosts mission trips with clinics, but apparently they have also held workshops and certification classes to educate locals in the practice of homeopathy.

Some excerpts from the Haiti field reports on HWB’s site:
  • “The children are blind, deaf and orthopedically handicapped, but their complaints to us generally had nothing to do with their primary condition. Often it was an acute and/or chronic stomach problem, headache, eye problem, rash, cough, etc. More difficult conditions were also treated. Because the history was generally elicited through an interpreter, there were barriers to obtaining specifics as to modalities, and more difficult to ask open-ended questions and obtain a response that could help with diagnosis.”
  • “Using two interpreters and splitting into two teams we treated 85 people in six hours. Many were children, several with severe cases of scabies, and other rashes. Others had fevers, stomach problems, and other maladies. We did not see cholera cases but we heard the hospitals were full of patients.”
  • “In the first two days of clinic, we saw about 100 clients and dispensed remedies to the men, women and children we treated. Merci, merci, merci was repeated by each client as people walked out the gate of the school yard onto the Haitian streets.”
  • “At day’s end, I am surprised there were no injuries. Times have changed since the earthquake. No one comes with broken bones and there are no crushing injuries. But still almost every child has a skin eruption, almost every young woman has a vaginal infection and almost everyone complains of ‘the grippe.’ Constitutional remedies like Sulphur, Medorrhinum and Sepia are critical here. Less important are Aconite, Hypericum and Arnica, the mainstay remedies of our first trips to Haiti.”
  • “I introduce the concepts of homeopathic medicine, describe the nature of the training program and the goals of creating community homeopathic caregivers who will work in their villages for acute and lesional therapeutics, epidemic prophylaxis and health education. We ask the 26 students who have gathered to tell us what the health problems are in their areas: malaria, cholera, typhoid, hypertension, anemia, malnutrition, epilepsy, yellow fever, dengue fever, flu and diarrhea, asthma, coughs, gastritis, vaginal infections and fibroids. They are mostly the same issues we saw in clinics in Port-au-Prince and Lespinasse, but with more epidemic disease. …On their enrollment forms, when asked about the health problems Haitian people face, we read again and again: no clinics, no doctors, no medications available in their area.”
  • “When coming close to the village one of of the guys climbed on top of the van announcing that anyone with medical issues to come to the community center, basically the only building in town. Within minutes the benches were filled with patients because there is no medical care around at all.”
  • “The work with HWB in Haiti is life affirming; I am filled with gratitude for the circumstances of being born into a culture with education, opportunity and infrastructure, and with a sense of responsibility to pay it forward to those with needs far greater than my own. There is much work to do! Holly will remain for 10 days in Haiti to establish more contacts for potential locations for the birth attendants and community homeopath certification courses as well as partnerships with like-minded organizations.”

But still almost every child has a skin eruption, almost every young woman has a vaginal infection and almost everyone complains of ‘the grippe.’ Constitutional remedies like Sulphur, Medorrhinum and Sepia are critical here.

Or, you know, penicillin.

Reactions: 7 users
SO. I have an amusing relevant story. One of my parents friends(husband and wife) could never stfu when we were younger about how great and smart and fabulous their oldest son was.

FF 20 years later

He failed out of med school, went to some naturopathic school out in New Mexico or Arizona or some such state, and is now back in NY

We were at a New Years party a few weeks ago, he shows up, we're all standing in a group of people talking, and he comes up with the following hilarity when he was asked how "being a doctor" is going-
"Oh you know, I feel like people really trust my opinion versus the opinion of someone who goes to a more traditional professional school. Like her!(points at me)...I mean, do people really trust your opinion? You're just the dentist"

lol.

Reactions: 6 users
Or, you know, penicillin.

http://www.herbs2000.com/homeopathy/medorrhinum.htm

Oh my god.

"The homeopathic remedy medorrhinum is prepared from urethral discharge from a male patient who has gonorrhea, and is used to treat an assortment of health conditions, including gynecological problems."

"The homeopathic remedy medorrhinum is prepared with extreme caution using the urethral emissions of a male patient who has been infected by the bacterium Neisseria gonorrhoeae. Subsequently, the urethral discharge is diluted and sanitized inwater and shaken thoroughly to the extent that not a single molecule of the ailment is left behind in the final product, the medorrhinum tincture."

"Individuals to respond well to the homeopathic remedy medorrhinum are those who feel hastiness and nervousness during the most part of their lives. Such people also have an empty feeling frequently and think that they are somewhat cut off or secluded from the remaining world or the society around them. In addition, people requiring this homeopathic remedy may also experience extremes in their manners and can be found to be introvert or sensitive at one split second, and subsequently be self-seeking and overconfident in the very next moment."

"Medorrhinum is a very useful homeopathic remedy for women. It is an excellent medication for women who suffer fromprofuse menstrual flow, which has a disgusting odour. "

"People suffering from copious catarrh (an inflammation of a mucous membrane, particularly of the respiratory tract, accompanied by too much secretion) that is related to the tenderness of the mucus membranes in the nose may benefit greatly by using the homeopathic medication medorrhinum. Such patients may also experience postnasal trickles and frequent sneezing. At the same time, they may endure pressure as well as pain in the sinus area. Medorrhinum is effective in curing all these symptoms and providing quick relief."

I'm going to start calling rhinosinusitis "catarrh" in my notes

Arthritis is an old wives tale. I tell people not to manipulate their necks and backs over and over daily to limit the effects of ligament laxity. If you are bombarding the surrounding soft tissue with nitrogen by over manipulating the spinal joints, you run the risk of laxity propagating muscle spasms and pain, in order to maintain stability. I liken it to a chronic whiplash state.

Classmates that I talk to about this will remember that it was difficult to manipulate their necks and backs initially but got progressively easier as time went on. They also notice that their level of muscle discomfort increased over time as they started to manipulate the joints more and more.

Up to you, but I don't recommend it.
Yeah, arthritis is totally not a real thing that occurs by way of a fairly well understood process that can visibly deform and disable joints if left untreated. Totally an old wives' tale.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Chiropractic Without Borders in action:

Alternative medicine isn’t the best way to spend your time or money, but I understand that there are some people who find a few alternative medical practices comforting and relaxing for various personal or cultural reasons; for example, cooking your Grandmother’s special bitter melon soup recipe and getting an aromatherapy massage are both rooted in alternative medicine. As long as the following conditions are satisfied (they usually aren’t), then I’m not as concerned about people using alternative medicine:
  • The patients are competent, consenting adults who are well educated about the differences in efficacy and scientific accuracy between alternative medicine and allopathic/osteopathic medicine
  • The patients are still seeking and obtaining effective allopathic/osteopathic treatment for their medical problems
  • Their support for medically ineffective and scientifically inaccurate alternative medical practices does not compromise their own health or the health of others
  • Spending money and time on alternative medical treatments isn’t compromising their ability to obtain the necessities in their life
  • No one is taking advantage of the ignorant or misleading others
That being said, many things associated with the alternative medicine community are fairly infuriating. I thought it was a joke/satire when I first heard about some of the Médecins Sans Frontières wannabe groups like Naturopaths Without Borders, Homeopaths Without Borders (HMB), and the Canadian group Terre Sans Frontières. According to their website, HWB has traveled to Haiti, Sri Lanka, Guatemala, El Salvador, and the Dominican Republic to “treat” the legitimate medical complaints of desperate, poverty stricken people who normally have very limited access to actual healthcare. These patients probably have no educational basis to understand the difference between Homeopathic and Allopathic/Osteopathic medicine, and they are probably less likely to seek actual medical care if they are made to believe that lightly dabbing their tongue with a 0.00001ppb solution of essence of Romaine lettuce every morning is enough to keep their cancer from killing them. HWB not only hosts mission trips with clinics, but apparently they have also held workshops and certification classes to educate locals in the practice of homeopathy.

Some excerpts from the Haiti field reports on HWB’s site:
  • “The children are blind, deaf and orthopedically handicapped, but their complaints to us generally had nothing to do with their primary condition. Often it was an acute and/or chronic stomach problem, headache, eye problem, rash, cough, etc. More difficult conditions were also treated. Because the history was generally elicited through an interpreter, there were barriers to obtaining specifics as to modalities, and more difficult to ask open-ended questions and obtain a response that could help with diagnosis.”
  • “Using two interpreters and splitting into two teams we treated 85 people in six hours. Many were children, several with severe cases of scabies, and other rashes. Others had fevers, stomach problems, and other maladies. We did not see cholera cases but we heard the hospitals were full of patients.”
  • “In the first two days of clinic, we saw about 100 clients and dispensed remedies to the men, women and children we treated. Merci, merci, merci was repeated by each client as people walked out the gate of the school yard onto the Haitian streets.”
  • “At day’s end, I am surprised there were no injuries. Times have changed since the earthquake. No one comes with broken bones and there are no crushing injuries. But still almost every child has a skin eruption, almost every young woman has a vaginal infection and almost everyone complains of ‘the grippe.’ Constitutional remedies like Sulphur, Medorrhinum and Sepia are critical here. Less important are Aconite, Hypericum and Arnica, the mainstay remedies of our first trips to Haiti.”
  • “I introduce the concepts of homeopathic medicine, describe the nature of the training program and the goals of creating community homeopathic caregivers who will work in their villages for acute and lesional therapeutics, epidemic prophylaxis and health education. We ask the 26 students who have gathered to tell us what the health problems are in their areas: malaria, cholera, typhoid, hypertension, anemia, malnutrition, epilepsy, yellow fever, dengue fever, flu and diarrhea, asthma, coughs, gastritis, vaginal infections and fibroids. They are mostly the same issues we saw in clinics in Port-au-Prince and Lespinasse, but with more epidemic disease. …On their enrollment forms, when asked about the health problems Haitian people face, we read again and again: no clinics, no doctors, no medications available in their area.”
  • “When coming close to the village one of of the guys climbed on top of the van announcing that anyone with medical issues to come to the community center, basically the only building in town. Within minutes the benches were filled with patients because there is no medical care around at all.”
  • “The work with HWB in Haiti is life affirming; I am filled with gratitude for the circumstances of being born into a culture with education, opportunity and infrastructure, and with a sense of responsibility to pay it forward to those with needs far greater than my own. There is much work to do! Holly will remain for 10 days in Haiti to establish more contacts for potential locations for the birth attendants and community homeopath certification courses as well as partnerships with like-minded organizations.”

live_on_this_planet_futurama.gif

http://www.herbs2000.com/homeopathy/medorrhinum.htm

Oh my god.

"The homeopathic remedy medorrhinum is prepared from urethral discharge from a male patient who has gonorrhea, and is used to treat an assortment of health conditions, including gynecological problems."

"The homeopathic remedy medorrhinum is prepared with extreme caution using the urethral emissions of a male patient who has been infected by the bacterium Neisseria gonorrhoeae. Subsequently, the urethral discharge is diluted and sanitized inwater and shaken thoroughly to the extent that not a single molecule of the ailment is left behind in the final product, the medorrhinum tincture."

"Individuals to respond well to the homeopathic remedy medorrhinum are those who feel hastiness and nervousness during the most part of their lives. Such people also have an empty feeling frequently and think that they are somewhat cut off or secluded from the remaining world or the society around them. In addition, people requiring this homeopathic remedy may also experience extremes in their manners and can be found to be introvert or sensitive at one split second, and subsequently be self-seeking and overconfident in the very next moment."

"Medorrhinum is a very useful homeopathic remedy for women. It is an excellent medication for women who suffer fromprofuse menstrual flow, which has a disgusting odour. "

"People suffering from copious catarrh (an inflammation of a mucous membrane, particularly of the respiratory tract, accompanied by too much secretion) that is related to the tenderness of the mucus membranes in the nose may benefit greatly by using the homeopathic medication medorrhinum. Such patients may also experience postnasal trickles and frequent sneezing. At the same time, they may endure pressure as well as pain in the sinus area. Medorrhinum is effective in curing all these symptoms and providing quick relief."

I'm going to start calling rhinosinusitis "catarrh" in my notes
:barf:

I do it pretty much every morning. To me it sounds euphoric, the exact opposite of nails on a chalk board.

Check this paper out... the author cracked the knuckles of his left hand at least twice a day for 5 decades. He used his right hand as a control. The author concluded that "there is no apparent relationship between knuckle cracking and the subsequent development of arthritis of the fingers.”

Unger, Donald L. "Does knuckle cracking lead to arthritis of the fingers?."Arthritis & Rheumatism 41.5 (1998): 949-950.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/1529-0131(199805)41:5<949::AID-ART36>3.0.CO;2-3/abstract

I crack my knuckles at least 5-10 times per hour... It's pretty OCD really. Worried about this, I asked a rheumatologist about the relationship between arthritis and knuckle cracking and was told that no causative relationship has been shown. That was somewhat comforting to hear, though I still feel like cracking my knuckles 100+ times per day cant be good for them in the long run :s

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, arthritis is totally not a real thing that occurs by way of a fairly well understood process that can visibly deform and disable joints if left untreated. Totally an old wives' tale.
Way to take my post out of context.

SO. I have an amusing relevant story. One of my parents friends(husband and wife) could never stfu when we were younger about how great and smart and fabulous their oldest son was.

FF 20 years later

He failed out of med school, went to some naturopathic school out in New Mexico or Arizona or some such state, and is now back in NY

We were at a New Years party a few weeks ago, he shows up, we're all standing in a group of people talking, and he comes up with the following hilarity when he was asked how "being a doctor" is going-
"Oh you know, I feel like people really trust my opinion versus the opinion of someone who goes to a more traditional professional school. Like her!(points at me)...I mean, do people really trust your opinion? You're just the dentist"

lol.

"Only the intelligent and educated ones who are able to accurately assess quality of education."

29b0mmo.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Funny how some good principles and values were obtained from naturopathic and homeopathic medicine, but now it's like they took a basic principle and went way too far. Now it's pretty quackish..

Btw, I once saw on SDN that a chiro student said they know far more neuro than medical students :D ... I'm not making this up.

Funny how some good principles and values were obtained from naturopathic and homeopathic medicine, but now it's like they took a basic principle and went way too far. Now it's pretty quackish..

Btw, I once saw on SDN that a chiro student said they know far more neuro than medical students :D ... I'm not making this up.

I recall someone saying that their family member "worked with skin all day" (was a chiropractor), so that basically made him/her a dermatologist.

OMFS (DDS/DMD) and DPM operate in the OR just like other surgeons and they were treated as such where I used to work....

OMFS (DDS/DMD) and DPM operate in the OR just like other surgeons and they were treated as such where I used to work....
Okay I meant in a hospital setting that doesn't include teeth or feet. Yes, I get podiatric surgeons are feet expert and dentist are teeth experts. I didn't mean to exclude them.

What good principles and values do you think were obtained from natropathic and homeopathic medicine?

What good principles and values do you think were obtained from natropathic and homeopathic medicine?
Well just common sense things like allergy desensitization and at least trying to use natural things... I mean it's no cancer cute but it sounds healthy lol.

Well just common sense things like allergy desensitization and at least trying to use natural things... I mean it's no cancer cute but it sounds healthy lol.

1) Allergy desensitization is not a principle of naturopathy or homeopathy, and if you mean desensitization to a real allergy (ie one that causes anaphylaxis) it needs to be done under the care of someone with a fellowship in immunology, or it could kill you.

2) 'Trying to use natural things' in not a principle of medicine. 'Natural' things are not particularly healthy, in fact most natural things are living creatures that spent millions of years evolving with the very specific goal of not being eaten. That's why people who actually have to live with nature (like Marines in the field) need so much training to make sure they don't accidentally disturb or ingest the wrong natural thing.

Using natural things is common sense today in much the same sense that bloodletting for a cold was common sense 200 years ago. Its a cultural meme so pervasive that many people have forgotten that it was invented by someone. Of course, that comparison isn't perfect: 200 years ago there was no clear evidence against bloodletting.

Last edited:
1) Allergy desensitization is not a principle of naturopathy or homeopathy, and if you mean desensitization to a real allergy (ie one that causes anaphylaxis) it needs to be done under the care of someone with a fellowship in immunology, or it could kill you.

2) 'Trying to use natural things' in not a principle of medicine. 'Natural' things are not particularly healthy, in fact most natural things are living creatures that spent millions of years evolving with the very specific goal of not being eaten. That's why people who actually have to live with nature (like Marines in the field) need so much training to make sure they don't accidentally disturb or ingest the wrong natural thing.

Using natural things is common sense today in much the same sense that bloodletting for a cold was common sense 200 years ago. Its a cultural meme so pervasive that many people have forgotten that it was invented by someone. Of course, that comparison isn't perfect: 200 years ago there was no clear evidence against bloodletting.
1. I'm pretty sure it is.
2. Maybe I should have said eaten instead of use. A naturopathic principle was to prevent illness by eating good things, natural things. I like this principle. I mean it's not really medicine. It's wellness. .. Yea I'm not for the whole herbalism crap. That's why I said it was quackery lol. Western medicine ftw, every time.

2. Maybe I should have said eaten instead of use. A naturopathic principle was to prevent illness by eating good things, natural things. I like this principle. I mean it's not really medicine. It's wellness. .. Yea I'm not for the whole herbalism crap. That's why I said it was quackery lol. Western medicine ftw, every time.

1) What foods do you consider natural? What do you see people eating that is unnatural?

2) What illnesses do you think that eating 'good things, natural things' prevents?

1) What foods do you consider natural? What do you see people eating that is unnatural?

2) What illnesses do you think that eating 'good things, natural things' prevents?
Processed crap. Maybe some fake sugars. Not eating these can possibly prevent cancer.

Okay I meant in a hospital setting that doesn't include teeth or feet. Yes, I get podiatric surgeons are feet expert and dentist are teeth experts. I didn't mean to exclude them.
OMFS trained dentists actually operate on the whole face and deal with the majority of oral cancers (which are pretty common). It's way more than teeth.

So who is the lucky guy that gets to live with a gonorrhea infection so that he has an excuse to have his man-udder milked on a regular basis?
According to this completely accurate and trustworthy book on homeopathy, that person doesn’t even have to be sexually active, because “Numerous causes besides impure coition give rise to a gonorrheal discharge, running the same course as venereal gonorrhea. Such are the use of new wine, unfermented beer, the exposure of the parts to a cold wind while urinating (https://archive.org/stream/homoeopathictrea00berj#page/24/mode/2up ).” Unfermented beer of course should not be confused with barley water, a drink that magically prevents the development of gonorrhea. Also if I understand other sources correctly, antibiotics by themselves don’t actually cure gonorrhea; they just generate a state of “suppressed gonorrhea.” Suppressed gonorrhea can then be violently reawakened as a side effect of taking the homeopathic remedy of x-ray water. Yes, a serial dilution of x-rays in water (http://www.homeopathycenter.org/remedy/x-ray). I don’t know how homeopaths have managed to pull off this impressive feat of wizardry, but apparently they have also figured out how to capture moonlight in water and dilute that as well (http://www.homeopathycenter.org/remedy/luna).

Also don’t worry about Ebola guys; there is a dedicated team of homeopaths who are already hard at work and looking for a cure:

“The Ebola epidemic raging through West Africa has become a humanitarian crisis of great proportion. Homeopaths worldwide have been mobilizing their efforts toward gaining entrance in those countries affected, in order to provide homeopathic medical intervention to those individuals stricken with Ebola. The overriding goal is to investigate Ebola firsthand, and thereby determine which remedy or remedies are best for treating this disease…The good news is that a small international team of experienced and heroic homeopaths have arrived in West Africa, and are currently on the ground working hard to examine patients, work out the “genus epidemicus,” and initiate clinical trials. This work is being done alongside the current conventional supportive measures and treatments already in place. We applaud and congratulate this team’s dedication and courage in joining the front lines in treating Ebola with homeopathy. The answer to whether homeopathic medicine has an important role in the Ebola epidemic could be forthcoming quite soon (http://www.homeopathycenter.org/news/ebola-crisis-homeopathic-community)."​

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17509435

Does this line all but invalidate their results/conclusion? "The validity and generalizability of this observation are guarded given the lack of randomization, lack of statistical analysis possible, and potentially biased data in this population."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17509435

Does this line all but invalidate their results/conclusion? "The validity and generalizability of this observation are guarded given the lack of randomization, lack of statistical analysis possible, and potentially biased data in this population."

Get rid of the 'all but' and the answer is yes.

According to this completely accurate and trustworthy book on homeopathy, that person doesn’t even have to be sexually active, because “Numerous causes besides impure coition give rise to a gonorrheal discharge, running the same course as venereal gonorrhea. Such are the use of new wine, unfermented beer, the exposure of the parts to a cold wind while urinating (https://archive.org/stream/homoeopathictrea00berj#page/24/mode/2up ).” Unfermented beer of course should not be confused with barley water, a drink that magically prevents the development of gonorrhea. Also if I understand other sources correctly, antibiotics by themselves don’t actually cure gonorrhea; they just generate a state of “suppressed gonorrhea.” Suppressed gonorrhea can then be violently reawakened as a side effect of taking the homeopathic remedy of x-ray water. Yes, a serial dilution of x-rays in water (http://www.homeopathycenter.org/remedy/x-ray). I don’t know how homeopaths have managed to pull off this impressive feat of wizardry, but apparently they have also figured out how to capture moonlight in water and dilute that as well (http://www.homeopathycenter.org/remedy/luna).

Also don’t worry about Ebola guys; there is a dedicated team of homeopaths who are already hard at work and looking for a cure:

“The Ebola epidemic raging through West Africa has become a humanitarian crisis of great proportion. Homeopaths worldwide have been mobilizing their efforts toward gaining entrance in those countries affected, in order to provide homeopathic medical intervention to those individuals stricken with Ebola. The overriding goal is to investigate Ebola firsthand, and thereby determine which remedy or remedies are best for treating this disease…The good news is that a small international team of experienced and heroic homeopaths have arrived in West Africa, and are currently on the ground working hard to examine patients, work out the “genus epidemicus,” and initiate clinical trials. This work is being done alongside the current conventional supportive measures and treatments already in place. We applaud and congratulate this team’s dedication and courage in joining the front lines in treating Ebola with homeopathy. The answer to whether homeopathic medicine has an important role in the Ebola epidemic could be forthcoming quite soon (http://www.homeopathycenter.org/news/ebola-crisis-homeopathic-community)."​
eagle.gif

FF 20 years later

lol.

I've only met a few naturopaths but all of them have told me that the ND schools provide the exactly same training as Medical schools (although they usually refer to ND schools as medical schools), but the ND's have extra knowledge in naturopathic medicine.

I've also been told that the naturopathic schools are more competitive because there are only a few schools in the country.

Do I believe that? Well, the point is that this is what the general public is being told.

I tell my patients to call me Mike. As long as they are still capable of calling me something, it doesn't really matter what it is.

I don't have a problem with anyone who has earned a doctorate identifying themselves as Dr. That is a right that they have earned. I think we need to accept that doctor was never only a reference to medical doctors, and begin discussing ourselves as physicians. We aren't going to win the battle to protect a title which was never our exclusive domain, so we should focus our efforts differently to protect our professional identities.

Rather than telling NPs or PAs who have doctorate degrees not to call themselves doctor, it should be a requirement for them to identify themselves as "nurse practitioner" or "physician assistant." Letting it be normal to use an abbreviation or to just say "practitioner" is obfuscation. The public is assaulted with acronyms all the time and don't really think about what they mean. There are PAs in these forums who have recently described avoiding ever saying physician assistant because they feel that the word assistant is demeaning, that it undermines their professional standing because it highlights their dependant practice. When an uneducated public hears PA, they just recognize that as yet another healthcare provider, without unpacking its meaning.

We should insist that, for patient safety and clarity in the clinical environment, all providers, whether called Dr. or not, be stating their profession. And we should really reclaim "physician" to express who we are and what we do for patients.

:thumbup: Absolutely.

Poor kid doesn't deserve to die so young.
Agreed... Had another case of spinal manipulation on a guy with back pain who had seen a chiro for worsening acut/subacute low back pain. Several adjustments later the patient saw us real doctors and was diagnosed with a dural abscess.... Just sayin...

Physiotherapists are beginning to shift toward doctorate programs now as well... only a matter of time before they hop onboard the "hey I'm a physician too" bandwagon.

Please don't compare PTs to chiros. BTW the shift is done and every PT program in the US is a doctorate. I have never called myself a physician (as I know I am not and it would be illegal to refer to myself as one) to a patient or anyone. Some patients ask about my education and I tell them I have a doctor in physical therapy but I am not a physician; I am a physical therapist. Are there toolbag PTs out there who probably advertise the "doctor" excessively? I'm sure, but every profession has them.

Please don't compare PTs to chiros. BTW the shift is done and every PT program in the US is a doctorate. I have never called myself a physician (as I know I am not and it would be illegal to refer to myself as one) to a patient or anyone. Some patients ask about my education and I tell them I have a doctor in physical therapy but I am not a physician; I am a physical therapist. Are there toolbag PTs out there who probably advertise the "doctor" excessively? I'm sure, but every profession has them.

PT is legit. Chiro is a scam. PERIOD.

Reactions: 4 users
PTs also know their ****. Very very well. Chiros know quackery very well.