Chiropractors are doctors too

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hospital I've worked at had an OR scrub nurse with a PhD in a humanities field introduce himself as Dr. C to all patients. He stole the surgeon's and anesthesiologist's job in pre-op by explaining the surgery, anesthesiology, risks and benefits. They let him get away with it, and just waited 10 minutes until he was done and then preceeded to go over the same topics with the patient officially. The nurse acts like he's an attending. It felt weird.

It takes a doctorate to pull out some 4-0 vicryl on a ps-2

Members don't see this ad.

Hospital I've worked at had an OR scrub nurse with a PhD in a humanities field introduce himself as Dr. C to all patients. He stole the surgeon's and anesthesiologist's job in pre-op by explaining the surgery, anesthesiology, risks and benefits. They let him get away with it, and just waited 10 minutes until he was done and then preceeded to go over the same topics with the patient officially. The nurse acts like he's an attending. It felt weird.
Hard to tell if you misinterpreted or are trolling.

Reactions: 2 users
On the other hand a chiropractor (or accupuncturest/natropath/homeopath) provides nothing. They are not part of your profession, they do not help anyone. These people are leeches. The entire profession is a pit into which Americans throw time, money, and hope. It robs its practitioners of the chance to provide something of value to the world with their working hours. It robs desperate or deluded patients of money they often do not have. It is a constant, low level assault on the scientific method and the scientific professions, who must necessarily be degraded by anyone who wants to make money off of backwoods charlatanism. it does not work, not for anything (yes, including back pain) and it leaves everyone who comes into contact with it financially, mentally, and spiritually poorer. While some of your non-physician colleagues may annoy you, please do not put them in the same category as the quacks. They really don't deserve that.

I don't know if that statement is 100% valid.

A lot of the homepathic/accupuncture/etc. utilize the placebo effect. As we all know (or should known) the placebo effect isn't just physiological but can have positive biological effects too. So the question is....are we ok with the masses paying money to feel better/get better even if it is only the placebo effect? If people feel better after having tiny needles put into their skin...if it doesn't cause harm why not let them do it?

I'd suggest that it is ok as long as the 'alternative medicine' doesn't delay or limit their access to evidence based western medicine.

And also it's important to note that we do a TON of stuff in allopathic medicine that isn't evidence based. Ever prescribed antibiotics for someone with 'sinusitis' or a cold?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if that statement is 100% valid.

A lot of the homepathic/accupuncture/etc. utilize the placebo effect. As we all know (or should known) the placebo effect isn't just physiological but can have positive biological effects too. So the question is....are we ok with the masses paying money to feel better/get better even if it is only the placebo effect? If people feel better after having tiny needles put into their skin...if it doesn't cause harm why not let them do it?

We should not let them try it because, placebo or not, it does hurt people. It hurts people because:

1) Robbing someone is a harm. One of the reasons we regulate drugs is that desperate patients will try anything to make the pain to away, or to make the prognosis a little less hopeless. We know we need to protect them, or more accurately to protect our future selves, from becoming bankrupt in a futile attempt to fix the unfixable.

2) Degrading people's faith in science is a harm. Chiropractors are a gateway drug to superstition. They hook you when you are at your weakest and, if you feel the slightest relief from their treatments, they lead you into the belief that everything you've learned about medicine, biology, and (in the case of acupuncture/homeopathy) even physics is a lie or at best a competing theory with what they're selling. That weakened understanding of science eventually manifests as vaccine refusal, chemotherapy refusal, or any one of a dozen other life threatening pieces of ignorance.

3) Reinforcing neuroses is a harm. We know that many of these quacks' customers, like many of our own patients, actually have few if any real impairments. Yet they are impaired... by the idea that they are impaired. Reinforcing that denies them whatever hope they have to break free of role of 'the patient' and go back to being a person

4) Denying someone the chance to accept their infirmity is a harm. Even if the illness is real, that doesn't mean its ok for the cure to be fake. This is why we stopped prescribing placebos in the first place. Doctors used to do that, back when it was 'harmless', everyone carried a big bag of blue chalk and, if you couldn't cure what the patient had, you mixed the chalk in water and gave it to them for the placebo affect. But we realized that this was denying our patients something very important: the chance to grieve, and ultimately accept, their own illnesses, infirmities, and even their impending mortality. The truth can be painful, but we know from long experience that an accepted truth is never as awful as a protracted lie. Everyone in medicine has seen patients live their life, fully, despite pain or disability. We've seen people make the most of the last few months before their deaths. And we've all seen patients with incurable conditions hobble from physician to physician, trying one experimental treatment after another, allowing their conditions to consume the life they have left, allowing the patient in them to eat the person. Maybe that's ok when there's hope for the treatment, but if you know you're handing out placebos its just a tragedy.

There's very little nobility left in medicine. We don't generally risk our lives anymore by going to the hospital, we rarely have to face down plagues and when we do we've gotten very good at not catching them. We do good work, sometimes, but curing someone with a curable condition isn't noble, it just common decency. Its like giving water to a man dying of thirst, and getting paid for the water besides. However there is one single noble moment left in medicine: its when you look at a patient and tell them 'I'm sorry, there's nothing I can do'. Its a moment with no profit in it, no thanks, and no glory. Just a lot of humanity, and a lot of good.

F- anyone who gets in the way of that by offering a bag of placebo. If they charge $100/visit for that placebo f- them twice.

There's very little nobility left in medicine. We don't generally risk our lives anymore by going to the hospital, we rarely have to face down plagues and when we do we've gotten very good at not catching them. We do good work, sometimes, but curing someone with a curable condition isn't noble, it just common decency. Its like giving water to a man dying of thirst, and getting paid for the water besides. However there is one single noble moment left in medicine: its when you look at a patient and tell them 'I'm sorry, there's nothing I can do'. Its a moment with no profit in it, no thanks, and no glory. Just a lot of humanity, and a lot of good.

Well good gracious me, what a load of interesting logic. Giving shelter to the homeless, feeding the hungry, and giving water to the thirsty aren't noble? I guess it makes sense that treating the sick isn't noble either.

It's good to know that no physician ever does charity work, forgoes more lucrative options in private practice, or works in public health. Because if they did, they might find your statement a little vexing. Hell, it might even be a little insulting. I'm sure all the members of Doctors without Borders would be thrilled to know they can't catch ebola.

Reducing kindness and effort to simply "filling a need" is overly cynical.
Accepting money for your services is not a crime.
Risking personal harm is not the only way to be "noble."
Doing your job to the absolute best of your ability is noble.

If you can't see the truth in that, we have fundamentally different outlooks on life.

I really don't think you want to mix the NP argument with the Chiropractor argument.

Physicians, (D)NPs, PAs, RNs, LVNs, CNAs, Podiatrists, EMTs, and Optometrists have all been arguing about their respective scopes of practice since the degrees were invented. These are real and reasonable arguments, and anyone not financially involved in it can generally see both sides. Is a non-physician ever 'good enough' for patient care? What about a non-RN? Is there such a thing as overtraining? Does cost containment matter when it comes to training? Is the physician training pathway, which exposes us to almost every field of medicine, a necessary base of knowledge or just an expensive holdover from another age of medicine? When should medical training be licensed and regulated, and when should it be left up to the free market?

These are real, important questions that drive conflicts between physicians and other medical professions. I don't want to minimize them. At the end of the day, though, I think you should recognize that all of these people are medical professionals. They have the same basic goals that you do when they go to work, and most of them work much harder than most Americans. They provide patient care. They help people. Maybe you think they should do their job differently, or have more limitations to their scope of practice, or structure their training differently, but they are part of this profession and need to be respected for that.

On the other hand a chiropractor (or accupuncturest/natropath/homeopath) provides nothing. They are not part of your profession, they do not help anyone. These people are leeches. The entire profession is a pit into which Americans throw time, money, and hope. It robs its practitioners of the chance to provide something of value to the world with their working hours. It robs desperate or deluded patients of money they often do not have. It is a constant, low level assault on the scientific method and the scientific professions, who must necessarily be degraded by anyone who wants to make money off of backwoods charlatanism. it does not work, not for anything (yes, including back pain) and it leaves everyone who comes into contact with it financially, mentally, and spiritually poorer. While some of your non-physician colleagues may annoy you, please do not put them in the same category as the quacks. They really don't deserve that.
While I pretty much agree with what you're saying, I wouldn't say that chiropractors are completely worthless. Just 99.9% worthless. I had a pinched nerve in my neck pretty high up in my C-spine from cracking my own neck wrong that no physician would touch. To this day, it's the worst pain I've ever felt in my life, solid 10/10. The doctors just said I'd have to wait it out, maybe do steroid injections and narcotics, then follow up with surgery if it didn't go away. I was young and uneducated and knew nothing about the medical field, but lacked the money for narcs and surgery and the like, and I was about ready to literally jump off a bridge it hurt so bad. Figured I'd chance it on a chiropractor- messed my neck up twisting it the wrong way, maybe they could do the opposite. Sure enough, it worked- my pain went from a 10/10 down to nothing in less than an hour.

Of course, that's the rare case in which you're actually dealing with something that they might be able to fix, which is a statistical anomaly.

Reactions: 1 users
What bothers me are nurses. They don't even take care of the patients anymore, they have the lvn subservients or MAs do their work. At least you're not forced to work alongside chiropractors and converse with them.

Uhm, maybe in your particular hospital, but most don't use LPNs, and MAs almost never. MAs are mostly found in doctor's offices.

Last edited:
If my academic position pays really well, with incentive compensation, profit sharing, great benefits, low call, academic days off, etc. and I make more and work less than many of my non academic colleagues, can I still act like I'm making a noble sacrifice to be at the big teaching hospital?
I think yes! They will never know the truth.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm still laughing* at the person who posted above that dentists shouldn't be called "Dr"

*all the way to the bank

Reactions: 5 users
While I pretty much agree with what you're saying, I wouldn't say that chiropractors are completely worthless. Just 99.9% worthless. I had a pinched nerve in my neck pretty high up in my C-spine from cracking my own neck wrong that no physician would touch. To this day, it's the worst pain I've ever felt in my life, solid 10/10. The doctors just said I'd have to wait it out, maybe do steroid injections and narcotics, then follow up with surgery if it didn't go away. I was young and uneducated and knew nothing about the medical field, but lacked the money for narcs and surgery and the like, and I was about ready to literally jump off a bridge it hurt so bad. Figured I'd chance it on a chiropractor- messed my neck up twisting it the wrong way, maybe they could do the opposite. Sure enough, it worked- my pain went from a 10/10 down to nothing in less than an hour.

Of course, that's the rare case in which you're actually dealing with something that they might be able to fix, which is a statistical anomaly.
First of all, I'm glad your debilitating pain was relieved. I'm not sure the doctors handled your situation very well but who knows? Anyway, it's kind of ironic b/c usually the chiropractors are the ones who cause excruciating pain which then requires immediate medical intervention, if they haven't already paralyzed them.

Last edited:
Chiropractors are useless, unless you are my mothers spoiled dog.
I don't think they're inherently useless.

Too many Chiropractors don't (or refuse to) realize they are relegated to MSK complaints and delve into the realm of pinched nerve (which doesn't really exist) = disease process. There is no hidden cure for cancer in that spinal manipulation. Subluxations, the way that Chiropractic define them, don't exist either. What does exist, is a decrease in joint mobility which increases pain. Neurologically that makes sense with mechanoreception and nociception.

If Chiropractic would live in that world, I have no problems with that. When they say anything else, that's where I draw the line, unless of course, science can prove that anything else is actually real.

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all, I'm glad your debilitating pain was relieved. I'm not sure the doctors handled your situation very well but who knows? Anyway, it's kind of ironic b/c usually the chiropractors are the ones who cause exercising pain which then requires immediate medical intervention, if they haven't already paralyzed them.
I view it as a freak accident that messed me up and a second freak accident that cured me lol.

Please tell me what those awful cracking noises accomplish besides making me want to cry when I hear them? Seriously
Nitrogen gas bubbling out of the synovial fluid. When they manipulate your joint, they are stretching that joint capsule just beyond the physiologic range of motion, which creates a rapid pressure change in the joint capsule, thus you hear a "pop".

In layman's terms, it's the same sound you hear when you pop bubble wrap. It's the pressure change causing the cavitation.

Uhm, maybe in your particular hospital, but most don't use LPNs, and MAs almost never. MAs are mostly found in doctor's offices.

Right. That's exactly my point. You'll find them in nursing homes or doing at home care. This is where RNs should be. The system is ass backwards.

Take the moments you can, and strive for more of them. However don't delude yourself into thinking that you're making a sacrifice just by showing up to your very well compensated career.

I'm not advocating an "everyone deserves a trophy" approach to medicine. I am saying we should celebrate differences in efforts and abilities.

Devaluing a great clinician by saying "he's simply doing his job" or "he's paid to do that" is complete bullsh*t. There is a definitive difference in the time commitment to pass muster and the time commitment to excel. The same is true of artists, firefighters, policemen, teachers, whoever. I think that if you work beyond what is required, you are doing a good thing.

If you reduce every person who works hard to be good at their profession by saying "it's just their job," I think that's an entitled load of crap. Those people do not owe you their tireless efforts.

I don't think there's any amount of money I can pay someone to claim ownership over them. That's what bothers me about your post. I am not going to apologize for making good money, and I sure as hell am not going to lecture my colleagues that they aren't really "good" according to some bull**** standard.

Nitrogen gas bubbling out of the synovial fluid. When they manipulate your joint, they are stretching that joint capsule just beyond the physiologic range of motion, which creates a rapid pressure change in the joint capsule, thus you hear a "pop".

In layman's terms, it's the same sound you hear when you pop bubble wrap. It's the pressure change causing the cavitation.

It's very nails on chalkboardish. :/

lol, have you even looked at the curriculum?

It's a bull**** degree that was added to confuse patients and blur the line between nurses and doctors.
Isn't it just Nursing theory ==>EBM/Stats==> Go?

Right. That's exactly my point. You'll find them in nursing homes or doing at home care. This is where RNs should be. The system is ass backwards.

If RNs should be in nursing homes, then who should be providing care for patients in hospitals? FTR, RNs are in nursing homes as well as providing home care.

How much experience do you have working with nurses on a day to day schedule? You don't seem to come across like someone who has a working rapport with them.

If RNs should be in nursing homes, then who should be providing care for patients in hospitals? FTR, RNs are in nursing homes as well as providing home care.

How much experience do you have working with nurses on a day to day schedule? You don't seem to come across like someone who has a working rapport with them.

Preclinical student who has no idea what he's talking about, obviously

Techs?

I've had worked for nurses, with nurses, for 6 years. They like me, it's not like I go around being a jackass to them.

Preclinical student who has no idea what he's talking about, obviously
Please tell me about all the times you sat around the wards and played pretend doctor. I don't define myself by being a med student.

I had a highschool biology teacher who used to be a chiropractor. She quit because she said she hated the fact that she had to charge patients after the visit lol. She still corrects students when they say Ms. and make them call her Dr. She recently started teaching a health care course (which my little brother is now taking). One of the units had to do with vaccinations, and most of the information was only about the bad things that could happen from being vaccinated. example question for the assignment: Do you think that children should still be vaccinated along the same MMR schedule even though there is a rise in autism cases? My brother sent me this and I wrote the answer for him with multiple pieces of literature showing no link between vaccinations and autism. She hasn't vaccinated her kids, and treats them with colloidal silver. I remember in my grade 12 year, she would miss almost a day a week because one of her kids was sick.

To me it sounds like it feels good. In reality it is probably horrible for you.

I do it pretty much every morning. To me it sounds euphoric, the exact opposite of nails on a chalk board.

Check this paper out... the author cracked the knuckles of his left hand at least twice a day for 5 decades. He used his right hand as a control. The author concluded that "there is no apparent relationship between knuckle cracking and the subsequent development of arthritis of the fingers.”

Unger, Donald L. "Does knuckle cracking lead to arthritis of the fingers?."Arthritis & Rheumatism 41.5 (1998): 949-950.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/1529-0131(199805)41:5<949::AID-ART36>3.0.CO;2-3/abstract

Please tell me about all the times you sat around the wards and played pretend doctor. I don't define myself by being a med student.

The fact that you think techs are enough to run the hospital speaks to your ignorance. Idiocy, really, because I could have told you how stupid that idea is when I was 10. The number of patients that would die from having support staff that was even worse than they are now would be ridiculous.

I never sat around playing pretend doctor because I didn't go to a DO school, brah.

I had a highschool biology teacher who used to be a chiropractor. She quit because she said she hated the fact that she had to charge patients after the visit lol. She still corrects students when they say Ms. and make them call her Dr. She recently started teaching a health care course (which my little brother is now taking). One of the units had to do with vaccinations, and most of the information was only about the bad things that could happen from being vaccinated. example question for the assignment: Do you think that children should still be vaccinated along the same MMR schedule even though there is a rise in autism cases? My brother sent me this and I wrote the answer for him with multiple pieces of literature showing no link between vaccinations and autism. She hasn't vaccinated her kids, and treats them with colloidal silver. I remember in my grade 12 year, she would miss almost a day a week because one of her kids was sick.

Do you think that antibiotics should still be prescribed for strep infections even though there has been a rise in organic produce sales on Saturday mornings?

Reactions: 4 users
I do it pretty much every morning. To me it sounds euphoric, the exact opposite of nails on a chalk board.

Check this paper out... the author cracked the knuckles of his left hand at least twice a day for 5 decades. He used his right hand as a control. The author concluded that "there is no apparent relationship between knuckle cracking and the subsequent development of arthritis of the fingers.”

Unger, Donald L. "Does knuckle cracking lead to arthritis of the fingers?."Arthritis & Rheumatism 41.5 (1998): 949-950.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/1529-0131(199805)41:5<949::AID-ART36>3.0.CO;2-3/abstract
Arthritis is an old wives tale. I tell people not to manipulate their necks and backs over and over daily to limit the effects of ligament laxity. If you are bombarding the surrounding soft tissue with nitrogen by over manipulating the spinal joints, you run the risk of laxity propagating muscle spasms and pain, in order to maintain stability. I liken it to a chronic whiplash state.

Classmates that I talk to about this will remember that it was difficult to manipulate their necks and backs initially but got progressively easier as time went on. They also notice that their level of muscle discomfort increased over time as they started to manipulate the joints more and more.

Up to you, but I don't recommend it.

@fancymylotus your mom takes the dog to a human chiropractor with a specialty in animals, right?

I know you can either go the human chiropractor route or the DVM route to take additional training and work in that field. I saw a lot of it done on the expensive sport horses, actually. Acupuncture as well.

The man could turn a phrase, couldn't he? But don't turn off your powers of critical thought to simply admire all that he had to say because he said it well. His valid criticisms came packaged in gifted ad hominem and flourished with a tinge of eugenics. When he speaks of "the botched" going to beget more of their kind, and says that they should be permitted to die off as nature intended, he isn't just saying that we should let those susceptible to infectious disease die. He was referencing a vile but prevalent sentiment that was used a few decades after to justify the Tuskegee Experiment, where allowing black men to suffer and die of untreated syphilis, and to convey it to their families was seen as no more unethical than animal experimentation is today. After all, the subjects of the study were among the "botched," and could hardly be considered worthy of human rights.

Be so careful who you choose to speak for you, no matter how fine their words. Be sure you want to take credit for all the ideas they put forward.
You dont understand satire

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

The fact that you think techs are enough to run the hospital speaks to your ignorance. Idiocy, really, because I could have told you how stupid that idea is when I was 10. The number of patients that would die from having support staff that was even worse than they are now would be ridiculous.

I never sat around playing pretend doctor because I didn't go to a DO school, brah.
Right. You went to an MD school, and purposely did mediocre to ended up in FM. How much better of you. And I'm sorry your mother is a nurse and you have your jimmies rustled. There's no reason for personal attacks though my douchey friend.

You dont understand satire
Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

That part wasn't satirical. H.L. Mencken wrote in a time when eugenics and "racial hygiene" were not only not taboo, but widely embraced. Although some in the modern era kindly assume that he was treating these subjects as satire, I don't believe they were intended as such or read as such by his contemporaries. He revisits the ideas frequently, with treating them with his usual brutal wit, but always asserting a hierarchy of human worthiness. With such consistent perseveration, I think he meant it.

Last edited:
@fancymylotus your mom takes the dog to a human chiropractor with a specialty in animals, right?

I know you can either go the human chiropractor route or the DVM route to take additional training and work in that field. I saw a lot of it done on the expensive sport horses, actually. Acupuncture as well.

Not sure. I guess so? I told her she can't take the dog there anymore after reading this thread.
I personally think it's crazier that she takes her to the acupuncturist...

The sound of knuckles cracking makes me want to cry. Worst sound ever

Not sure. I guess so? I told her she can't take the dog there anymore after reading this thread.

Depends on whether she does it just cause she can or there's something that's being treated (in regards to acupuncture) to me. I have a friend that swears by it for his lab that is getting older. :)

I think acupuncture is probably lower risk quackery. Skeptic that I am, even I tried it once.
It was the weirdest experience. I went into a room, hopped up and laid down on a padded exam table, and a nice young man stuck a dozen tiny needles into me here and there. He turned out the light and left me alone in there for 20 minutes. Within 2 minutes, I noticed that the table beneath me was very warm, and it kept getting warmer... really radiating a lot of heat up into my sore muscles. I thought, how clever, they have like a heated pad... that is probably why people come out of here talking about getting so much relief from pain. It is just the relaxation and warmth, and the needles are just a big show to give the placebo effect some power.

You've probably guessed: When the gentleman came back to remove the needles, I remarked on the heated table and he gave me a weird look. It wasn't heated. Looking at it from the side I could see that it was basically a glorified card table with a very thin pad that was cool to the touch except where I had been directly laying on it. I haven't been back, because even if there was some spooky mechanism that made it effective, I still prefer massage to needles.

Techs?

I've had worked for nurses, with nurses, for 6 years. They like me, it's not like I go around being a jackass to them.

If you worked around nurses for 6 years, you didn't learn much about what they do.

So you're saying put RNs in areas where the complexity of care is lower, and have techs manning units like ICU, trauma, etc.

Yeah, that's going to work out well.

If you worked around nurses for 6 years, you didn't learn much about what they do.
So you're saying put RNs in areas where the complexity of care is lower, and have techs manning units like ICU, trauma, etc.
Yeah, that's going to work out well.

Try not to let such poorly informed opinions ruffle you. It isn't worth it, when you are faced with willful ignorance. I just pray for them that they don't have to find out the value of professional nurses through personal misfortune.

Right. You went to an MD school, and purposely did mediocre to ended up in FM. How much better of you. And I'm sorry your mother is a nurse and you have your jimmies rustled. There's no reason for personal attacks though my douchey friend.

ENT homey come at me

Mother is a saint

Reactions: 9 users

Thanks for sharing this, it's nice to learn about the animal side of medicine (and I'm too lazy to research it myself).

Try not to let such poorly informed opinions ruffle you. It isn't worth it, when you are faced with willful ignorance. I just pray for them that they don't have to find out the value of professional nurses through personal misfortune.

Eh, it takes a bit more to really raise my hackles. I'm more bemused at a med student who is obviously deficient in real world knowledge about how hospitals work pontificating on the role of nurses in patient care. (Holy run-on sentence!)

Actually, acupuncture in sport horses (when done by an actual veterinarian with acupuncture training, of course) has been shown to have some real benefits. Dogs seem to be hit or miss though.

Edit - didn't see Caia already mentioned this.

Yeah, knuckle cracking isn't neccesarily bad for you but I think fancymylotus or whoever I responded to was talking about other joint popping- but I may have misinterpreted that.

Only DO/MD are medical doctors who practice medicine. Deal with it. Don't like it? Go to med school. Don't see any DO's or MD's whining about if they are docs or not. I wonder why lol. Because they actually are. Truth hurts sometimes.

Lol what a dick

Reactions: 5 users
Some of these comments are hilarious! I understand why a hospital need so much administration.. So they can deal with all the egos.

I'm a dental student come at me bro! #DOCTORofdentalsurgery$ ;)

Some of these comments are hilarious! I understand why a hospital need so much administration.. So they can deal with all the egos.

I'm a dental student come at me bro! #DOCTORofdentalsurgery$ ;)

You made a fantastic career choice my friend