chicago residency programs/tales of the interviews at each

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icemountain

resident
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is for anyone who knows information about the anesthesia residency programs in Chicago - Masonic, Northwestern, U. of chicago, U. of Illinois at Chicago, Cook County, Rush and Loyola. Specifically, unique aspects about the programs (what differentiates each), if residents are happy, what the call schedule is like, elective time, case load, private vs. state hospital, patient population etc.

Also if anyone has gone to an interview at each school, what kinds of questions were asked, how long the interviews were, who they had interview them, if there is a night before with residents, weird vibes, etc.

This would really be helpful for someone not from the area.

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewed at these places so this was my impression 2 years ago.

U OF CHICAGO
unique aspects about the programs:
nice u of chicago campus but poor surrounding area (hyde park) sorry, i grew up here and i wouldnt live here. i would commute from downtown. cool and bizarre attendings that are into research and one guy may or may not be in or was a member of FBI. burn unit rotation
if residents are happy: seemed very happy
what the call schedule is like: reasonable
elective time: good. most of 4th year (?)
case load: light. i believe some people complained that cases are very slow
private vs. state hospital: mix?
patient population etc. mix plus very sick and rare cases

RUSH
friendly people, massive case load
if residents are happy: seems happy
elective time: ?
case load: huge

LOYOLA
happy people, livers and livers, attendings get along, very nice residency director and very nice chair although he may seem intimidating at first
if residents are happy: happy
elective time: decent

NORTHWESTERN
fancy shmancy, beautiful hospital that looks like hotel, hospital is downtown chicago, regional was strong but may be completely gone now, residents go to childrens hospital, good program chair
if residents are happy: unfortunately many of these residents told me they would not go there again if had a chance to go back and do it all over. this strongly influenced my rank list.
what the call schedule is like: calls may be harsh and regular work days long
elective time: ?
case load: heavy
private vs. state hospital: more VIP patients

did not interview at the others.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll comment on NW (CA1 there...take what I say for what it's worth).
- As Supahfresh mentioned, the hospital is pretty posh. The new women's center will be finished sometime later this fall/early winter.
- Contrary to what he mentioned, regional is still very strong. New program puts CA1s on the block team a couple days out of the week.
- OB is extremely heavy. It was quoted that our residents place somewhere around 400 lumbar epidurals throughout the last 2 years of residency.
- Childrens Hospital experience is quite strong.
- Increased CV load given relatively new surgeon.
- 2 months of neuro icu and 2 months of cvicu. Neuro is particularly difficult. CVICU is currently not that strong given that we apparently mostly do scut for the surgeons, but maybe that will change?
- So far the schedule isn't too bad. I leave anywhere between 3 and 6:30 depending on the day/cases. Precall I am almost always relieved early. We recently were approved for a total of 21 residents which should make call a little better. Call is typically 4-6/month and is a mix of regular and ob. Seniors take icu nights every so often.
- Key word sessions weekly for CA1s and weekly journal reviews for everyone. Simulator training one morning every other week.
- I agree that there isn't as much elective time here as other places I interviewed at...definitely more structured blocks.
- CA1s and CA3s spend some time in Evanston at our private hospital.
- Resident happiness seems mostly intact. Recently the attendings were approved for a large pay increase, so I suppose happier faculty should translate to happier residents.

Anyone with any stories or opinions on UIC? I know a few people on this board interviewed there, but are there any residents on here as well? Enlighten us with your thoughts.

too bad...I don't know much about UIC either....the description of Rush is pretty accurate...the residents are happy, but they work a lot and see a lot of everything.

Hmm, good thread. Im interested in gas, but I won't be graduating from CCOM until 2009.