Chicago, Philly, and New York Private Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

depression_is_in

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a reapplicant, but have not applied to any of the schools listed last year (applied to Albany but honestly probably don't want to be there anyway). I am from the midwest, so the out east schools are more appealing if they are in major cities (harder to get home if I am in Burlington Vermont, for example). I would prefer to only apply to 1 school from each city, with Quinnipiac added in (unless advised otherwise). My issue is balancing my hours w/lower MCAT averages at each school-Help me decide SDN!

Me: reapplicant. 514, 3.75 (both BCPM + AO), ~5000 research hours, ~300 clinical hours (not-shadowing), ~200 community volunteering. taking gap years in research
Also, have 2 institutional actions for underage drinking :/
(you can imagine how its hard for me to pick high research schools that are more stern against disciplinary actions)

Them:
Rosalin: higher average MCAT than Loyola (~514), might appreciate my research more?
Loyola: lower average MCAT than Rosalin, but might want more clinical/volunteering??
(not applying to rush with my lower volunteering/clinical hours)

Temple: lower MCAT (~511), appreciate research, but they require a dean's letter for IA's. Might reject me outright because of this?
Thomas Jefferson: higher MCAT (~514), might be more appreciative of my research hours?
Drexel: Lower MCAT, lost their hospital, BUT THIS MIGHT MEAN less kids apply, therefore I have a better chance...
Penn State: not in Philly, tons of applications, unsure if it is worth it.

New York Medical College: lower MCAT, don't know much about it otherwise
Einstein: higher kitty (~514), again, might appreciate the research hours more. Might be anti-institutional actions because higher reputation.

Quinnipiac: think I have a good chance here.

Personally I am leaning towards Loyola, Temple, and New York Medical College. I have a unreasonable bias against med schools that don't have undergrad populations because somehow I got it into my head that this means a school is less legitimate (ie. just built to suck out money from med students as opposed to being a real academic institution). this is non-sense, of course, but hence hesitation for Einstein, Rosalin, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

I would post this in the WAMC forum or the reapplicant forum instead!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just FYI Drexel received a massive number of applications last cycle (above 14,000). People can’t really afford to be selective until after receiving multiple acceptances (rare), so expect a high number of apps again this year.

I would use MSAR and see which have most favorable OOS metrics

Reactions: 1 user
If you’re a reapplicant, just apply to them all? Cant be choosy at this point.

And the no undergrad thing is silly lol
Einstein is a good med school

Reactions: 1 users

Can confirm, M3 at Einstein. Kinda nice not having an undergrad cause the whole place is purely focused on medical education (plus some PhDs), and our hospital system (Montefiore) is our degree-granting institution (Einstein the school and Montefiore the health system are now one entity under the umbrella name Montefiore Medicine) so they are super invested in our clinical education

literally every pre-med advisor says "apply to ~15 schools" and every pre-med says "apply to 40"...... but thanks anyway

literally every pre-med advisor says "apply to ~15 schools" and every pre-med says "apply to 40"...... but thanks anyway
I think ciestar is a resident FYI:oops:
Yeahhh kinda lost my pre-med status years ago.

@Goro will tell you how he feels about premed advisors lol

@Faha can help with a school list.

Edit: looks like Faha already did give you a school list and included many of these schools you listed..:rolleyes:

More info needed in order to help.
You didn’t indicate:
when you last applied?
What has changed on your app?
When did you graduate undergrad?
How long ago was the last IA?
How many shadowing hours do you have (this is absolutely necessary to demonstrate you have an idea what it’s like to be a doctor, and ideally with a PCP?
What were results from last cycle, how many did you apply to, IIs, WLs?
Where did you apply previously and results?
Did you receive feedback from last cycle why no As?

Only one school in each city, why? You have 2 IAs, apply broadly. Also, Einstein is considered better than NYMC in terms of rank but, rank barely matters anyways so you need to think less about small details and more about your happiness/quality of life. Also, you need to get an acceptance before any of your concerns even matter, so again, apply broadly. Based on your post, you dont necessarily come across as the most likable/humble person ever (just an observation, no offense!) so maybe focus more on interview skills as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.