Need suggestions for schools in Chicago for informal postbac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed23456

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I will be moving to Chicago in fall 2017 to do a year of clinical work before I re-apply to medical schools next year. I want to take a couple of upper-level science classes per semester in the fall and spring at a reputable community college in Chicago or a good 4-year university, that would be looked at favorably by medical schools admissions. I'm not from Chicago and have no clue about what the reputable schools are around there to do this. So for all of you who know Chicago well, could you please suggest any good CCs or 4 year universities in the area for me to do this? Somewhere near Hyde Park is preferred, but in the end location within Chicago is not an issue for me. Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

RFU (Rosalind Franklin U- Chicago Med) has a masters program that many students take as a post-bacc-has some classes with med students so gives u opportunity to prove yourself. (Assuming U have your pre-reqs done). We've taken a # of med students into our residency program over the years who completed the RFU program and they did well. Good option.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Thanks! Do you have advice on a lower-cost but still reputable college in Chicago to take just a couple of upper level bio courses per semester while I work as a CNA?

Thanks! Do you have advice on a lower-cost but still reputable college in Chicago to take just a couple of upper level bio courses per semester while I work as a CNA?
Not exactly sure where in Chicago you are but you just have to look up how much it would cost per credit hour at the institution near you. Schools like UIC, Northwestern, Loyola, etc all have different rates of how much it would cost you per credit.