GRE for Ortho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

veryhappylabrador

Dog enthusiast
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know some programs don’t require and some do require the GRE.

Is not taking the GRE an option nowadays or is it basically required still even if some programs don’t require the GRE?

Members don't see this ad.

Not taking the GRE is an option for SOME programs nowadays. Some will accept the ADAT in lieu of the GRE. However, a majority of ortho programs still require the GRE as part the application process. Half the time I think the programs uses it as a way to deter those from applying to ortho just "to see".

Reactions: 1 user
What score should you aim for on the GRE as an ortho applicant?? I'm studying for it now and can't seem to find that information anywhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
What score should you aim for on the GRE as an ortho applicant?? I'm studying for it now and can't seem to find that information anywhere.
Probably 160 on each section is a good aim and 5 on the writing. If you get a little below that, NBD as long as your other stats are top.

Hey! I posted this on the ortho form too for matching, and I am wondering what you all think:

"So I am interested in specializing in Ortho, and I will be starting my D1 year of dental school at Roseman University (P/F) 3-year program in June. I was wondering if anyone in here has experience/heard of any difficulty getting into ortho from a P/F program or 3-year program (UoP)?

A little about me:

I am currently researching w/dental faculty and plan to be published in 2-3 papers while attending dental school. I also plan on joining different clubs and get more involved in dental school as well (entrepreneurship, mentoring, etc.). If anyone has any recommendations, it would be greatly appreciated.

Additionally, I took the GRE in Feb 2021 (not sure if it will be valid when I apply to Ortho).
My scores were: VR - 154 QR - 154 AW - 5.5
Screen Shot 2023-03-15 at 4.04.37 PM.png

Are my scores too low? Do they expire like the DAT? I won't be applying for Ortho until 2025.

I have some free time right now and was wondering if I should retake the GRE to get higher scores because I will be attending a P/F program. I will be applying for Ortho residency in 3-years, and I would prefer to retake it before dental school starts if I have to. Everyone's insight is extremely helpful!"

Hey! I posted this on the ortho form too for matching, and I am wondering what you all think:

"So I am interested in specializing in Ortho, and I will be starting my D1 year of dental school at Roseman University (P/F) 3-year program in June. I was wondering if anyone in here has experience/heard of any difficulty getting into ortho from a P/F program or 3-year program (UoP)?

A little about me:

I am currently researching w/dental faculty and plan to be published in 2-3 papers while attending dental school. I also plan on joining different clubs and get more involved in dental school as well (entrepreneurship, mentoring, etc.). If anyone has any recommendations, it would be greatly appreciated.

Additionally, I took the GRE in Feb 2021 (not sure if it will be valid when I apply to Ortho).
My scores were: VR - 154 QR - 154 AW - 5.5
Screen Shot 2023-03-15 at 4.04.37 PM.png

Are my scores too low? Do they expire like the DAT? I won't be applying for Ortho until 2025.

I have some free time right now and was wondering if I should retake the GRE to get higher scores because I will be attending a P/F program. I will be applying for Ortho residency in 3-years, and I would prefer to retake it before dental school starts if I have to. Everyone's insight is extremely helpful!"
Just saw Colorado looks for applications to score in the top quartile in every section, so I'm going to plan on retaking it. Does anyone have any study resources they would recommend? I'm looking to get 162+ in VR & QR; the first time I took it without any resources.