Ortho residency and the GRE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureddsny

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

So I am a rising third year student with a 3.93 gpa and top 10 in class. I am currently doing research with an orthodontics resident at my university. I am unhappy with my gre situation, as I just scored a 153 on reading, a 5 on writing, but a 145 on math simply because my scrap paper was rejected by ETS so I was forced to attempt to do it all in my head. A little frustrating, but I was wondering I would be okay to apply for residencies in the upcoming cycle next year, and what my chances would be? Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Why on earth was your scratch paper “rejected?” The testing center is the one who provides you with a blank sheet of paper to use.

E527DE25-68F9-4EA9-B420-74D1E0262555.jpeg

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It was an at home test, and I didn’t have the proper “lamination”. I also couldn’t get my hands on a mini whiteboard either.
I should’ve just taken it at a testing center and drove the hour. Didn’t realize they would give me a hard time.

From what I was told, programs don't care so much about GRE anymore. However, I did get a pretty decent score in the mid 330's and how I tackled the GRE came up multiple times on my interviews. So I assume getting a good score does help, not sure if a lower score is detrimental though. I have similar ranks (top ~5%) /GPA/research experience.

From what I was told, programs don't care so much about GRE anymore.
Right, but the OP has a verbal score around the 59th percentile and quantitative score around the 18th percentile (based on my Google search). That’s not something I would want on my application, even if it’s a relatively minor part of the application.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 users
I would personally try scoring in the top quartile if I could. A score in the 320s would be optimal. Though I think GRE is more important for those with less than optimal ranks than yours