Change in procedure requirements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nolayup

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

I just heard of this. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I just heard of this. Any thoughts?

So many years ago, the board had a listed # of various procedures that you had to do. This particular list went away maybe 2011ish and they transitioned a table of procedures that you should learn in training. There were different requirements for different procedures - even for something like central line placement, the requirement was actually that you *must* be able to consent someone for it and explain the risks/benefits, but actually being able to do one was NOT required.

The only procedures where actually *doing* the procedure was a requirement were venipuncture, arterial puncture, ACLS, and pap smear. Not kidding - I guess the board assumed that IM residents otherwise would avoid learning how to do pap smears. There were no raw number requirements for those procedures but they suggested at least 5 of each or something like that. Now programs were welcome - and encouraged - to set requirements higher than that. They just couldn't go lower. As an example, here are the requirements in 2016.

Later on, they got rid of even that, and the recent requirement is for no particular # of any specifics at all - all that matters is your individual program director certify that however many you did of whatever procedures was enough that the program felt you were a competent internist.

Reactions: 1 user