Employed hospitalists - Ever change who pays for malpractice insurance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rainbow427

Reaction score
I'm employed by a hospital who pays for my malpractice insurance.

I would like to moonlight at another hospital and need my own malpractice insurance for that job.
In the state I work (Iowa), a physician can only have one malpractice insurance policy.

In a casual conversation with my administration, they were not motivated to change my current malpractice insurance.
My take home salary should also increase if they are not covering my malpractice.
I assumed they would be hesitant as this does not benefit them directly.
With this change, I would be working elsewhere and administrators like to control their employees.

Has anyone out there encountered this situation?
Any advice on strategy in negotiating with administrators?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm employed by a hospital who pays for my malpractice insurance.

I would like to moonlight at another hospital and need my own malpractice insurance for that job.
In the state I work (Iowa), a physician can only have one malpractice insurance policy.

In a casual conversation with my administration, they were not motivated to change my current malpractice insurance.
My take home salary should also increase if they are not covering my malpractice.
I assumed they would be hesitant as this does not benefit them directly.
With this change, I would be working elsewhere and administrators like to control their employees.

Has anyone out there encountered this situation?
Any advice on strategy in negotiating with administrators?
Nearly all employed hospitalist positions (either full time or part time) should pay for your malpractice. Are you a fellow like it says in your profile? If so and you're expected to pay for your own malpractice insurance then that's likely a dealbreaker for moonlighting at that hospital. Malpractice insurance usually isn't cheap if you're paying for it yourself, and if you're only going to be working there part time and short-term (which I assume is the case as you'll have only limited time to moonlight as a fellow) it probably doesn't make financial sense. if you want to do clinical moonlighting work it's usually easier if your institution has in-house moonlighting opportunities.

Thanks for the response. I'm not a fellow. I'm an employed hospitalist.
My hospital pays for my malpractice as part of our benefits package.
I pay malpractice insurance for moonlighting in another state (where I don't have this issue) and it is not an outrageous cost for what I can earn.

I'm looking for guidance on talking to hospital administration to change my current malpractice insurance.
If I pay for my own malpractice, then I can take advantage of moonlighting opportunities in the state of Iowa.
However, administrators have an interest in keeping me available for extra shifts at my hospital vs. moonlight a few hours away.

Thanks for the response. I'm not a fellow. I'm an employed hospitalist.
My hospital pays for my malpractice as part of our benefits package.
I pay malpractice insurance for moonlighting in another state (where I don't have this issue) and it is not an outrageous cost for what I can earn.

I'm looking for guidance on talking to hospital administration to change my current malpractice insurance.
If I pay for my own malpractice, then I can take advantage of moonlighting opportunities in the state of Iowa.
However, administrators have an interest in keeping me available for extra shifts at my hospital vs. moonlight a few hours away.
That will never happen because then your situation would be different from everyone else and you aren't special enough to cause that kind of headache on the admin end. Im sure you can find locums in another state that isnt so picky about the medmal.

Reactions: 1 users