chances of swapping positions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mach52543

Reaction score
Am a PGY-1 in FM residency. Recently received my COMLEX Level 3 score and passed 1st attempt. Originally wanted to do IM. Reason why didn't get IM was probably due to 2 failures of Level 2. Passed Level 1 on 1st attempt. Because of this recent Level 3 pass on 1st attempt, is it possible to swap positions or go through Match again for IM positions? And how do you speak to your PD about this?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know all the in's and out's of COMLEX scores, but I can't imagine a passing Level 3 score improves your academic profile significantly. It's a test with a 95+ % first time pass-rate. You're supposed to pass the first time.

I'd personally recommend putting the idea of switching to IM to bed and focus on being the best FM resident you can be. To be frank, if you bring this up with your PD it's not going to end well. They took you with two level 2 failures on your record and now you want to bail the first chance you think you can. All you will accomplish is stirring up bad blood at the beginning of a 3 year residency.

Reactions: 6 users
You're not going to be able to swap positions from FM to IM.

You could go through the match again for IM positions, but you'd likely have to give up your FM position to do so and there's no guarantee that you'd match. If you didn't match, you probably won't be able to secure another spot in FM since you gave up a perfectly good position. I agree with above that you should just focus on FM now. If you really want to do an IM specialty, you could consider doing an IM residency after FM residency, assuming you do well. You may get some credit for your FM time, but would likely still have to do 2 years of IM to be board eligible.

Reactions: 1 user
A PGY-2 in my IM program did this, but he had to do 2 years of FM before being able to switch and he was required to repeat his intern year.

You can try to go through the match again, but as noted above you incur a lot of risk by trying. Tough to get time off for interviews during intern year too. You also could potentially fill a hole in a program if for whatever reason an intern next year can’t start on time and find a spot outside the match that way, but again you’re going to be risking your current spot to try that. The amount of credit you would be given for you FM intern year entirely depends on the specific rotations you complete and how generous the IM PD decides to be, but you should expect to repeat most if not all of intern year. And you’re still going to have those two level 2 failures on your record.

Ultimately, the safest and most realistic path to swapping specialties is performing as well as possible and trying to make connections at the IM program at your current institution if one exists. If you perform well and can convince them you’re good they may be able to more easily take a chance on you.

Reactions: 4 users
Am a PGY-1 in FM residency. Recently received my COMLEX Level 3 score and passed 1st attempt. Originally wanted to do IM. Reason why didn't get IM was probably due to 2 failures of Level 2. Passed Level 1 on 1st attempt. Because of this recent Level 3 pass on 1st attempt, is it possible to swap positions or go through Match again for IM positions? And how do you speak to your PD about this?
2 failures of Level 2 are not outweighed by passing Level 3 on the first try.

You can certainly dip your toe in the IM waters again, but I suspect they're still going to be ice cold.

Reactions: 2 users
I like mvenus' idea. I'd say try your best to rock your FM residency. If there is a fellowship like sports or such that you like, do that. If you still feel the IM bug near the end, you could apply to IM. If you don't match, you have FM under your belt and can hit the ground running.

If being a board certified physician overall is more important than doing IM, this is the approach I would take.

Reactions: 1 users
Overcoming two board failures to match as a categorical resident is a big accomplishment. However, it bought you one chance at residency. Doing anything to rock the boat at your current program is not worth the risk at all. Congrats and please please focus on successfully completing FM residency.

Reactions: 2 users