Question on swapping residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CleverAdvisor

MS3
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if it is any more challenging swapping from one residency spot to another given their respective specialty? For example, switching from IM vs FM to Anesthesia vs Psychiatry?

Members don't see this ad.

This question is too vague to be answered. Please ask the actual question you have so we can give helpful responses.
I want to match anesthesia but with the increased competitiveness I have a hypothetically better chance of matching a specialty like family or internal given the large number of programs (not taking anything for granted, I could certainly not match these either). I'm wondering if there is an advantage of switching to an anesthesia spot after completing my intern year if I were to come from one field like FM vs another field like IM?

I want to match anesthesia but with the increased competitiveness I have a hypothetically better chance of matching a specialty like family or internal given the large number of programs (not taking anything for granted, I could certainly not match these either). I'm wondering if there is an advantage of switching to an anesthesia spot after completing my intern year if I were to come from one field like FM vs another field like IM?
Anesthesia itself is not competitive unless you are both a DO/IMG and have low board scores. There are several programs taking Carribbean students. What I would do in your shoes is apply very broadly to anesthesia and if you're worried apply to IM (not FM) as a back-up as Anesthesia residents do IM PGY-1. If you don't get anesthesia the first time around, I recommend you just stick with IM and apply critical care which has some similar aspects because nothing will have changed when you apply to anesthesia again in the match. You will be a former US graduate which puts you in a different pile and you risk antagonizing your IM program director who may feel your heart is not in IM and it may be difficult to find time off during your IM PGY-1 to interview at any anesthesia programs you get into.

Reactions: 1 user
Anesthesia itself is not competitive unless you are both a DO/IMG and have low board scores. There are several programs taking Carribbean students. What I would do in your shoes is apply very broadly to anesthesia and if you're worried apply to IM (not FM) as a back-up as Anesthesia residents do IM PGY-1. If you don't get anesthesia the first time around, I recommend you just stick with IM and apply critical care which has some similar aspects because nothing will have changed when you apply to anesthesia again in the match. You will be a former US graduate which puts you in a different pile and you risk antagonizing your IM program director who may feel your heart is not in IM and it may be difficult to find time off during your IM PGY-1 to interview at any anesthesia programs you get into.
I will do that, thanks for the advice!

Apply to the specialty you want. Have a backup if you think you're a sub-par candidate. Move on with your life.

If you're really worried about it, now is the perfect time to talk to the just-matched M4s at your school about their stats and experience with the process this year. Use that to help guide your app strategy. I'm sure your school has a relevant interest group/club that can hook you up with those folks.

Reactions: 1 user