Question regarding R positions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polynexusmorph

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've posted here previously and got great advice but new updates have emerged.

I'm trying to switch from IM to neurology after finishing PGY1, and will be able to obtain a letter of good standing from the chair when requested, as well as a letter of recommendation from the chief of neurology at my current institution (we don't have a neurology residency). My ITE score came back and it's very good
However my PD is an insane person and will sabotage any attempt to transfer, may even call receiving programs and make bull**** in order to dissuade them from considering me

-Would I need a letter of recommendation from my PD to apply for an R position?
-Would receiving programs still contact my current program if there's a LOR from a current attending? If so, does that happen even before extending an interview invitation?
-Can I use someone else (like an APD) as a reference if a prospective program wants to contact my current program?

Any idea or comment is highly appreciated! Thank you!

Below is a link to my original post for reference

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t think there’s any way to avoid discussion between your PD and the new program. I think it’s basically always required in these situations. They’re gonna want to know right from the boss’s mouth that you’re solid. You can try listing an APD as a reference and using a non-PD recommendation letter, maybe they’ll be cool with that, but I suspect they’ll probably ask you to also include a letter from your PD.

There are no "rules" about what you must do.

Many programs will want a PD letter. Some may be happy with an APD letter. Would the APD really write you one without talking to the PD?

Theoretically, programs should not contact your PD without your permission. But it might happen anyway.

I'm worried that you may not have yet applied? if so, you are now horribly late.

Reactions: 1 users