Other OT-Related Information Chances of getting into OT school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J@Chavez123

Reaction score
Hello, everyone I am excited to be posting here for the first time. I've been looking over the forum for some time and wanted to share my stats. I'm applying for masters programs In OT for the upcoming year (2019). I wanted to know if I could get some feedback as to my chances of getting in and what I may need to improve on. Thank you and best of luck to everyone applying this year!

School: Fairleigh Dickinson University
Major: Bachelor in Psychology with a minor in Crim. Justice ( Switched to Psych after my sophomore year but had to many credits and made it to my minor)
Cum. GPA: 3.34
Pre-req GPA: 3.8

Observational Hours: 266.5 hrs (Total)
Pediatric Setting: 78 hrs (Camp site)
Hospital setting (Hand Therapy): 102.5 hrs
2 Skills nursing facility: 83 hrs
Pediatric Hippotherapy: 3 hrs

Extracurricular
-Fluent Spanish Speaker
-Psychology Club (Secretary)
- Member of Pre Professional Health Club
- Member of Sigma Pi Fraternity International
- Part of EFE Program (Enhanced Freshmen Experience)

Volunteer
- Relay for Life
- Volunteer Transporter
- Teach ESL to people at my church

Work Experience
- Academic Tutor (Anatomy and Physiology)

LOR
- Anatomy and Physiology Professor, General Psychology Professor and an OT that I met at a Skills nursing Facility.

Will apply: Kean, Seton Hall, Mercy, Bay Path University
*I'm thinking about observing at a School, or Rehab center like Kessler Rehab.
* I'm also applying to a couple of jobs as a rehab aide
* First deadline is Dec 1st for Seton Hall
*No GRE

Question: should I apply to more schools? does my lack of work experience hinder my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

I have similar stats and only applied to 3 schools so far. I may apply to 1 more. I do not think your lack of work experience will render any negative outcomes as they do not require work experience and instead you hold a sufficient number of shadowing hours. I think you are fine! Save the application $ and go with your gut where you applied!

I think you should apply to a few more schools. Your Prereq GPA and shadow hours are very good but your Cum GPA is average so best to increase your odds of acceptance by applying to more schools. Good Luck!