General Admissions & OTCAS My Chances of Getting Into OT School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shanah

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm applying to OT school (both Masters and Doctorate programs) in late summer/early fall (2021-2022 cycle). I'm really nervous that I won't be accepted anywhere as I know it is really competitive. I just wanted to post my stats on here and see of anyone (especially current students) had any ideas as to how I could improve my odds. I'm applying to Adventhealth University, Brunel University London, University of Florida, Creighton University (Phoenix Campus), Midwestern University (Glendale Campus), University of Wisconsin-Madison, and Medical University of South Carolina.

Majors: Psychology B.A. and Family and Human Development B.S. (Graduating from Arizona State University in May 2022)
Cumulative GPA: 3.82
Pre-req GPA: 3.50
Shadowing: 29 hours in pediatrics, 16 hours in hand therapy, and I completed a virtual observation hour program that is worth 24 hours. I planned on getting a ton more in 2020, but Covid.
GRE: Q: 143, V: 144, Writing: 4.0
Experiences: Study abroad trip to Finland, undergraduate research assistant, notetaker for ASU disability services, and have been a preschool teaching assistant for 3 years, worked as a food stand associate in high school
Extracurriculars: OT club member, sorority member (held a leadership position for a semester and served on multiple committees), activities chairman for fraternity and sorority life programming board, ASU student alumni association member, Greek review board

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi! I think you have a really solid standing now. Your GPA looks good, and your extracurriculars are good as well. I would continue to try to get some extra shadowing hours if you can, but you have a good start now! Schools have been more lenient with shadowing hours due to covid. From what I've heard recently, some schools are requiring students to take some sort of "course" that's like an intro to OT to constitute for shadowing hours. Maybe look and see if any of the schools you are applying to are offering this?

Best of luck :)

Reactions: 1 user
Your stats are right around average and your extracurricular activities look good. If possible, make sure those schools do not require an intro to OT class, if they do, try to have them done this summer. You are doing all the right thing, don't take your GREs too late just in case you want to retake them again. Good luck and hope to see you out there.

Reactions: 1 user