Program-Specific Info / Q's Might not get into OT school as planned? Need help figuring out plan B

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spidermanOT

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I’ve been trying to apply for the OTD program for years now (due to Covid, I took a while to get shadowing hours) but this year I managed to get them and applied for school. I applied for Nova Southeastern here in Florida however, the admissions counselor sent me an email stating that I was missing a preq (I got a C- in physics) so they are not considering that requirement filled. I graduated university with my Bachelor’s degree in Health Science 3 years ago so it’s not like I can retake the course.

I see no point in trying to actively get into OT school anymore (application has already been submitted I can’t really do anything about that) and I don’t think I want to go the COTA route. If you were in my situation, what other avenues would you explore?

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend taking the class again at your local community college. It’ll probably only cost around $300 and you can knock it out in 8 weeks or a semester at most. in my opinion, it would definitely be worth applying again next cycle. i know how difficult it can be to prepare to apply, I took a few years in between undergrad and applying as well. it took me 3 years to finish my prereqs, get my shadowing hours, and ask my old professors for letters of recommendation. but i felt like i tried so hard to be an OT that i couldn’t just give up. maybe you feel the same way, or maybe you’ve realized you don’t really want to be an OT. but if you’ve come this close and all you’re needing is one more class, i say try again.. or maybe ably last minute to a school that’s still accepting this cycle? I think St. Augustine in Florida has several application cycles a year, and I don’t think physics is a requirement for them

Reactions: 1 users
I would recommend taking the class again at your local community college. It’ll probably only cost around $300 and you can knock it out in 8 weeks or a semester at most. in my opinion, it would definitely be worth applying again next cycle. i know how difficult it can be to prepare to apply, I took a few years in between undergrad and applying as well. it took me 3 years to finish my prereqs, get my shadowing hours, and ask my old professors for letters of recommendation. but i felt like i tried so hard to be an OT that i couldn’t just give up. maybe you feel the same way, or maybe you’ve realized you don’t really want to be an OT. but if you’ve come this close and all you’re needing is one more class, i say try again.. or maybe ably last minute to a school that’s still accepting this cycle? I think St. Augustine in Florida has several application cycles a year, and I don’t think physics is a requirement for them
I really want to do OT which is why I haven’t even thought of a fall back plan if I didn’t make it. I’m a bit nervous to take the class again because honestly that C- was a miracle and getting a better grade won’t guarantee that I even get accepted into the program. With Covid happening, I’ve been antsy to get the OT process started and don’t want this to be for naught. I’ve been in contact with the program director for a few months now and was going to send him an email about what other options there are. As for St. Augustine, I’m a bit limited in school choices based on where I live, it’s either Nova and/or Gannon (I didn’t bother to apply to due to the physics class) because I just can’t afford to move 4 hours away.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,
I’ve been trying to apply for the OTD program for years now (due to Covid, I took a while to get shadowing hours) but this year I managed to get them and applied for school. I applied for Nova Southeastern here in Florida however, the admissions counselor sent me an email stating that I was missing a preq (I got a C- in physics) so they are not considering that requirement filled. I graduated university with my Bachelor’s degree in Health Science 3 years ago so it’s not like I can retake the course.

I see no point in trying to actively get into OT school anymore (application has already been submitted I can’t really do anything about that) and I don’t think I want to go the COTA route. If you were in my situation, what other avenues would you explore?
I agree with OTtobehopefully! I think if this is something you truly want, you go for it. I would suggest maybe doing some extra shadowing or a part time position in a rehab setting with OT while you’re taking the course and waiting for the next cycle. It will show the schools your persistence and commitment to the field and your desire to continue learning and gaining exposure to the practice during the gap year. St. Augustine accepts a fair amount of students because of its multiple start dates and locations. So that is a solid backup to have in case it does not work out with your preferred schools. Go for it spiderman! :)

Each person is different, I wanted to chime in that if I had not chosen OT I would have explored becoming a nurse practitioner or PA. Nursing has immense career advancement opportunities and you can work as you complete your degrees after your initial ADN or BSN.