Chances for 2012-2013 Application Cycle and Additional Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BariumOxide

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Post edited.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your age is young and might be a concern, but you come across intelligent, well-mannered, and most importantly, mature. I would doubt that your age will keep you from getting into medical school. Have you considered MD/Ph.D? I would think someone as young as you would be extremely attractive to these programs as you'll be only about 25-26 by the time you're finished, which translates to a lengthy career.

I am a junior at the University of Texas at Austin. I am applying to medical school this summer and hope to get accepted to Texas medical schools since their tuition is relatively cheap, however, I am willing to apply to any other recommended schools.

cGPA 4.00
B.S. in Chemistry Honors - 5/2013 (Deans' Scholars Honors Program, if that helps at all)
I've been taking practice tests and I have consistently gotten (VR 8 +/- 1, BS 12, PS 13)

-Done 150+ hours volunteering at a hospital for Summer 2010 and this full school year. I set the bed in ER room, helped organize mammograms/x-ray scans, and cared/watched over patients that needed comfort or constant attention.

-Shadowed a neurosurgeon for 50 hours, radiologist for 20 hours

-Heavily involved in research. I researched for 3 years. For the past 3 summers, I worked 50 hours/week. For this fall and spring semester, I am working 10 hours/week. I am collaborating with my professor to publish two papers. Unfortunately, most of the research is involved with nanoparticle catalysis, which does not allign well with the field of medicine. I have an independent research project dealing with applications in MRI, but that is the closest that my research can grasp.

-If it helps at all, for "outdoor-ish" ECs, (1) I ran a 5k, which is nothing compared to a FULL marathon, (2) swam and ran at a local recreation center for 7 years, (3) earned black belt, and (4) got licensed in scuba diving ....

However, I have 3 main concerns: I fear that (1) my age (17 when applying), (2) weak verbal score, and (3) my short undergraduate experience (Summer 2011-present) will place me at a disadvantageous position. I was able to graduate early due to AP credits (minor role) and large amount of hours per semester. I plan to graduate early primarily due to financial reasons, which I plan not to discuss.

I will be applying in next year's cycle. (2012/2013). What are my chances at an MD or DO program?

Also, I would like to know how competitive I am for top-tier schools. Just curious. I probably will not go because their tuition is likely to be too expensive for me. I might reconsider if I have a relatively good shot and the tuition is reasonable.

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks :)
I would have no argument with graduating early, especially for economic reasons, or a younger age. But you will not be excused for lacking Experiences like those of more typical applicants, many of which are demonstrations of maturity, teamwork, and commitment.

Your clinical experience looks fine. The shadowing hours are good, but I recommend you shadow a primary care physician, as well.

I do not see any nonmedical community service (ideally serving the poor), teaching, or peer leadership.

Your research is terrific, medically-related or not. Applying with accepted publications would add luster to your application.

Without comprehensive ECs (and a sterling MCAT score) I doubt you are competitive for "top schools" at this time.

I recommend that you refrain from applying anywhere at this time. Instead, get a job or apply for a paid traditional masters program while engaging in regular nonmedical community service. If you chose something like teaching ESL at a community center or an after-school kids tutoring program in a poor district, you might eventually move into a leadership position and satisfy all three of your deficiencies with one activity. Imprtant to choosing the organization you will work with would be that you care about their cause.

You might also consider broadening your clinical experience with hospice or a skilled-care nursing home, or just by switching departments at your current hospital. And don't forget the shadowing I mentioned.