advice for upcoming cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

infatuatedfate98

Reaction score
Hello, I'm pretty new here. I have been extremely hesitant to post here due to the tone of some of the responses that may follow but I'm really feeling a bit lost right now.
I am planning on applying this upcoming cycle and will be retaking my mcat soon so apologies for the lack of data in that aspect as I know how important that is(aiming for 508-510). My main concern currently is that with my gpa I will be screened from all of the schools I apply to thus wasting thousands of dollars. Any advice/insight is greatly appreciated.

URM AA male and LGBT (please spare the negative/unconstructive comments and thinkpieces)

Undergraduate: Biomedical Science 3.26cgpa and 3.0sgpa with upward trends especially with sGPA

Graduate: Did a non-smp masters of medical science ending with a 3.6gpa (LOR from program director)

Research: 2500+ hours with a poster presentation; currently working in a lab pending publication but for now lets assume I have none

Shadowing: Gastroenterologist, Pediatric oncologist, plastic surgeon, and orthopedic surgeon (its been suggested that this is competitive specialty heavy so I will be shadowing a family med doc soon to balance it out some)

Organizations/clinical/volunteering: 4 years in acapella group (3 years as board member and one as sitting president) which included volunteering at nursing homes and care centers multiple times a month; LGBT pre-health alliance, minority pre-professional science society, PAMSA, diversity global ambassador for the university abroad office and a representative for my concentration in medical graduate student society. Currently participating in clinical volunteering opportunity processing blood samples at a family practice working with mothers in their third trimester.

Lots of potential LORs including one from my current boss who is the associate dean of my department and the program director from my masters program.

I tried my best to be brief but any help is greatly appreciated. How concerned should I be regarding getting autoscreened? What parts of my application aside from mcat could I work on currently that are feasible in this timeframe?

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, of all of the people to see this I'm glad its you. Thank you for your time! Im assuming these are supposed to be cumulative?

Freshman: 3.2cgpa/2.96csgpa
Soph: 3.118 cgpa/2.69csgpa
Junior: 3.12cgpa/2.741csgpa
Senior: 3.26cgpa/2.99csgpa
Grad: 3.6

I attached an image with more details

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 12.10.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 12.10.12 AM.png
    107.2 KB · Views: 74
Members don't see this ad :)
I tried my best to be brief but any help is greatly appreciated. How concerned should I be regarding getting autoscreened? What parts of my application aside from mcat could I work on currently that are feasible in this timeframe?
WIth a GPA above 3.0 I wouldn't be concerned about getting autoscreened.

Moving forward, you need to understand that aside from the MCAT there are no other parts to your application. You can't do anything about your undergraduate GPA without a massive time investment. Your graduate GPA is fine. Your extracurriculars are what they are. There's no other special sauce to add, it all just comes down to the MCAT. So focus on the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 users
I suggest formatting to the WAMC template and moving this post there (mods). I'm missing state of residence and specific breakdown of activities by hours.

You have done PAMSA and MAPS so what networking have you done with schools? Do you belong to any mentoring organizations and participated in academic enrichment programs. You list a lot so I just wanted to get more details.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
WIth a GPA above 3.0 I wouldn't be concerned about getting autoscreened.

Moving forward, you need to understand that aside from the MCAT there are no other parts to your application. You can't do anything about your undergraduate GPA without a massive time investment. Your graduate GPA is fine. Your extracurriculars are what they are. There's no other special sauce to add, it all just comes down to the MCAT. So focus on the MCAT.
I appreciate the feedback. I made a mistake in my initial post as my science gpa is actually 2.99 and not 3.0 which I feel may really change things. I plan on applying broadly but still a bit concerned.

I suggest formatting to the WAMC template and moving this post there (mods). I'm missing state of residence and specific breakdown of activities by hours.

You have done PAMSA and MAPS so what networking have you done with schools? Do you belong to any mentoring organizations and participated in academic enrichment programs. You list a lot so I just wanted to get more details.
Thanks for the feedback. I will reformat and post there to get a bit more feedback.

I appreciate the feedback. I made a mistake in my initial post as my science gpa is actually 2.99 and not 3.0 which I feel may really change things. I plan on applying broadly but still a bit concerned.
The unfortunate truth is there aren't a ton of AA males in the applicant pool, so schools routinely have to search for them. If you post a decent MCAT score and don't come off like a lunatic in your essays/interviews, I think you'll get traction somewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
The unfortunate truth is there aren't a ton of AA males in the applicant pool, so schools routinely have to search for them. If you post a decent MCAT score and don't come off like a lunatic in your essays/interviews, I think you'll get traction somewhere.
Definitely in the HBCs, for starters.

Reactions: 1 users