MD & DO cGPA 3.7 sGPA 3.2 Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psyflgirl

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA 3.7 sGPA 3.2

MCAT score: pending (Please see question at the end of this post)

Fl resident

24 y/o Female, White Hispanic, English as a second language. Born and raised(up to age 16) in a rural area in Cuba. (US citizen)

Languages: English/Spanish and some basic Portuguese

Employed full time(two jobs at some point) and Full time student all of my undergrad years.

2 years of clinical experience with direct patient exposure in an outpatient psychiatric center (Paid employment)

1 year as a research assistant in an anxiety and phobia program as an undergrad

No official shadowing but I assist and "shadow" the psychiatrist at my job very often (One of my LORs is from him)

Graduated Summa Cum Laude, member of Psi Chi Honor Society (psychology)

LORs : 2 from science professors, 1 PI, 1 doctor, 1 non science professor

I understand that my sGPA is low, but considering the information above what's the lowest MCAT score I could get and still have a chance of being admitted? What schools would I have a better chance at?

Not necessarily, but preferably I would like to stay in Florida.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

A 500 MCAT is fine for at least some DO schools. You would need a 505 or higher to have a chance at your instate MD schools.

Reactions: 1 user
A 500 MCAT is fine for at least some DO schools. You would need a 505 or higher to have a chance at your instate MD schools.

Thank you. I will be sending my application before I know my MCAT score. I was told in a previous thread to only list one school that I am not very interested in, and then add schools depending on my score. Is this because I would have less chances as a replicant in my school of ineterest? I am not sure how that works.
Also, I had listed Howard as that one school I am initially sending my application to but then I realized they prefer AA students, and I changed it to USF which I think it has the lowest avg MCAT in FL, but that is actually one of the schools I am interested in. Would sending my application to FSU now and potentially getting a bad score and not being admitted be a disadvantage in the next cycle if I were to reapply?
@Goro I would really appreciate your feedback too.

My main question is what school(s) should I send my initial application (before knowing my MCAT score) to?

Your advice is really appreciated.

Thank you. I will be sending my application before I know my MCAT score. I was told in a previous thread to only list one school that I am not very interested in, and then add schools depending on my score. Is this because I would have less chances as a replicant in my school of ineterest? I am not sure how that works.
Also, I had listed Howard as that one school I am initially sending my application to but then I realized they prefer AA students, and I changed it to USF which I think it has the lowest avg MCAT in FL, but that is actually one of the schools I am interested in. Would sending my application to FSU now and potentially getting a bad score and not being admitted be a disadvantage in the next cycle if I were to reapply?
@Goro I would really appreciate your feedback too.

My main question is what school(s) should I send my initial application (before knowing my MCAT score) to?

Your advice is really appreciated.
You only get verified with one school because otherwise, you'll get screened out based upon your weak 1st MCAT score.

Please spread the word that it's a pre-med delusion that schools will hold your app in the hope that you get a higher 2nd score. They already have enough candidates who already have the higher scores.

State schools favor the home team, so OOS applicants have to be > avg.

You don't get into med school by being early, you get in by being good.