CCOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I also want to live for less than $6-700 a month and actually a lot of the apt complexes I'm looking at would be $500 a month if I share a 2 BR apt with someone. The only problem there is I need to find a roommate. But that's always a cheaper living option if you don't mind sharing an apt with another student.

where are these apts you re talking about?

Members don't see this ad.

I saw a few people asking about living closer to the city and I thought I would give my input after 7+ months of doing it. My wife and I live in Oak Park, about 9 or 10 miles from downtown Chicago and about 11 or 12 miles from campus in Downers Grove.

As I mentioned, I am married so this changes my situation as my wife goes to school downtown so living out by campus was not a good option for us.

Pros to living in Oak Park:
-Both Blue and Green El lines give great access to all over the city for very cheap (20 to 25 minutes in)
-A reverse commute of the Eisenhower in the mornings is about 25 minutes out to campus
-It is very safe and has more of a neighorhood atmosphere
-Lots of stores, restaurants and coffee shops around
-Madison Street (bar district) is in Forest Park immediately beside Oak Park
-Quiet but lots of things to do

Cons:
-Commute back home in the afternoon/evenings can take up to 45 minutes.
-It is tough to get up an extra 45 minutes early everyday
-Not as much interaction with your classmates outside of school
-More difficult to use the schools facilities (libraries, lab, etc.)
-Cannot just run home between classes or for lunch

This is just a short list both ways. Personally, I think it has been more than worth it for me in my situation. My wife and I have a two bedroom, one bath place with a full kitchen, laundry on site and about 1000 sq. feet to ourselves but it costs about $1400/month (we live literally downtown Oak Park--there are much cheaper areas in Oak Park and in Forest Park). Its great for visitors and has a ton of things going on all the time as well as a block walk to the green line to get anywhere downtown in 25 minutes without the hassle of traffic, parking, worrying about DD's when you go out, etc.

I can see many other situations in which living closer to campus would be great as there is a ton of stuff to do in Oak Brook/Downers Grove also. It all depends on what you want and what works best for you.

If I can answer anyone's questions personally, please email me at [email protected].

Also, please don't discouraged yet. I did not interview until the 19th of March last year and got accepted the following week so it is not too late. This is a great place to be so good luck to everyone.

Drew

Hey everyone!
Is it possible to keep questions only related to CCOM admissions/interviews and others of this caliber in this thread?
The only thing that I do recently see here are boring housing-related topics, which barely have anything to do with CCOM and interest only handful of people. I suggest that you create a separate threat for that, since for those of us who are still waiting impatiently for the final decision are not getting any advice or encouragement from that.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you check the threads from other schools in the school specific discussions, you will also find questions and responses about housing and other concerns from accepted students. It seems to be a good place to get info from current students. If you want accepted students and current students to give you encouragement and support, then you also have to be willing to read "boring" posts about their concerns. I would find this thread boring if it only was about people waiting to hear news about acceptance.

One could also learn to wait "patiently", lol. Seriously though, best of luck to everyone still waiting. I'll try to gather pertinent info elsewhere.

olivedjazzer- I do think this thread is a pertinent place to gather info. I'm sorry if what I posted made you feel otherwise.

hey those of you who got accepted in Midwestern CCOM, could you guys share ur stats? This is my first choice school and any input would be greatly appreciated. My GPA is a 3.75, science is a 3.71, but my mcat is on the low side: I got a 22q the first time, 24O the second time (10 PS, 8 BS, 6VR). Thanks!

hey those of you who got accepted in Midwestern CCOM, could you guys share ur stats? This is my first choice school and any input would be greatly appreciated. My GPA is a 3.75, science is a 3.71, but my mcat is on the low side: I got a 22q the first time, 24O the second time (10 PS, 8 BS, 6VR). Thanks!

GPA: 3.8
MCAT: 27P (11 BS, 10 PS, 6 VR)

But I also think extracurriculars, experience/knowledge with osteopathic medicine, and the interview is really important. Did you interview yet?

where are these apts you re talking about?

Here's an excel sheet I've put together over the last few weeks about potential apartment complexes. It has prices, some amenities, distance from CCOM and train station, and websites.

Attachments

• livingfor20112012-update1 (version 2).xlsx
    30.3 KB · Views: 127

Ya - what Daisy said. They look at everything (and ask about it). If you are asking about next year, I'd suggest studying some more for the MCAT just to be sure. I heard somewhere the avg. acceptance is 27 and 3.65ish. Does that sound right to anyone else?

ec2009 Thanks for your input! Really helpful.
I'll be sure to email you If I have questions.
Also thanks Daisy for that excel sheet!!

In state
GPA:3.25
MCAT:34P (12,12,10VR)
A small amount of research (Not as important for DO schools I understand...)
Fair amount of healthcare and volunteer exp.

Apply early and know why DO!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also we have a new thread for those of you definitely going to CCOM starting in August! It's called "CCOM Class of 2015." It might be better than this one for us to work out housing details and other stuff there. :)

i am going to b applying for the 2012 cycle. I have a 3.75 science GPA, 3.7 overall, outstanding letters of rec, have one publication, am an emt at an underserved clinic but my mcat scores are just too too low first time got a 22Q (9,9,4 in verbal) and second time a 24O (10 PS, 8 BS, 6 VR). I need to know, r my chances of getting into Midwestern extremely low with my 24. I really need ur guys' thoughts. My cousin just got an interview with a 29 for the 2011 cycle and i am feeling really hopeless because my score is so much lower than hers. her gpa was a 3.65.

Idk what is "too low" but the average according to Princeton Review is a 26.22
You are not too far from that and have a really good GPA and set of EC's.
If I were in your position I'd retake for the chance at being really competitive at all kinds of schools, call CCOM's admissions office though. Everyone is really friendly there.

What did you do in between the 1st and 2nd MCAT? Did you take a class yet? That helps people often times.

I was wondering if a current CCOM student could comment on how long of a break you have between second and third year to take boards. Was it hard to fit the exam into the break, especially is you took both COMLEX and USMLE? Thanks!

Interviewed 3/11. Haven't heard back yet. I'm pretty nervous though. Will let you guys know how it goes.

Just officially turned down my acceptance here to attend UMDNJ-SOM. Hope someone here gets my spot :)

Hi guys!

I can't remember if this was for CCOM or not, but does anyone know if you can choose to do your clinical rotations anywhere you want during your 4th year? I'm from NY so I was wondering if I'd have the option to check out some hospitals back here

Thanks!!

Hi guys!

I can't remember if this was for CCOM or not, but does anyone know if you can choose to do your clinical rotations anywhere you want during your 4th year? I'm from NY so I was wondering if I'd have the option to check out some hospitals back here

Thanks!!

Yup 4th year electives can be done anywhere, you just have to set it up.

I was wondering if a current CCOM student could comment on how long of a break you have between second and third year to take boards. Was it hard to fit the exam into the break, especially is you took both COMLEX and USMLE? Thanks!

we are done in mid may with classes, i think second year we take finals earlier from my limited understanding.
i believe rotations start pretty early in june so the break is not that long.
most of the second years that i have talked to who are planning on taking both are taking them within a week or so towards the end of may and very early june

OMG, still waiting. I'm...so... startled.
Anyone that interviewed march hear back yet?

Interviewed mid-march and just got an acceptance call this morning!! So excitedddddddd!! :D!!

Congrats!! Did your app checklist change? Anyone else?

Nope. Haven't received call nor status change. :scared:

Hey everyone! I interviewed march 18th and got my acceptance call today at about 1pm. Unless something crazy happens I will be attending CCOM.

Stats:

Cumulative:3.4
science: 3.3
MCAT: 30R PS11, VR:9, BS10

Went to interviews at DMU, CCOM and LECOM. Wait-listed at DMU, dont care about LECOM...

Congrats guys!
Do you guys know if they call everyone today?
Also, did your online portal change at all?

Yes, my portal did change. The top right box now reads "accepted student checklist" with a few things to complete in it. Best of luck to you :luck:

Yes my online portal did change as well...perhaps they haven't called everyone yet? All the best to you!!

Congrats guys!
Do you guys know if they call everyone today?
Also, did your online portal change at all?

I was accepted back in Feb and never received a phone call. My portal changed and then I recieved a letter in the mail a week later.

looking into applying to midwestern. does applying early increase your chances for admission if you have a low mcat score? i got a 24 on a retake (10 PS, 8 BS, 6 VR) got a 22Q (9 in sciences, 4 in veral) the first time.

looking into applying to midwestern. does applying early increase your chances for admission if you have a low mcat score? i got a 24 on a retake (10 PS, 8 BS, 6 VR) got a 22Q (9 in sciences, 4 in veral) the first time.

Definitely. I mean, applying early is good for any school with rolling admissions. There is a better probability that you'll get in when there are more spots available. If you apply later with a lower score, you may be up against people with higher scores for fewer spots.

Definitely. I mean, applying early is good for any school with rolling admissions. There is a better probability that you'll get in when there are more spots available. If you apply later with a lower score, you may be up against people with higher scores for fewer spots.

Well said. :thumbup:

Anyone else receive any correspondence regarding a March interview other than the portal change? (via snail mail etc)

I called the school and they told me nothing will go out in mail until next week.

I interviewed on March 8.. anyone from that date got a response/portal update?

I interviewed March 18th, phone call/portal change march 25th, snail mail acceptance received today. Hope that helps! Best of luck to you guys :xf:

On a different note:

Does anyone know if CCOM requires a drug test? Its not a huge concern for me, but I'd like to know before I engage in any summer before med school tom-foolery.

We take finals a week before everyone else and have an optional board review course the week everyone has finals. After that we have 3 weeks before rotations start. You can even schedule boards for after you start rotations (up to a month after 2nd yr spring quarter ends) but it's highly recommended to take them before the start of rotations. Essentially you have about a month off to take your boards depending on how much of a vacation you want. I scheduled my USMLE and COMLEX in the same week and gave myself a free week to move, travel, etc.

I interviewed March 18th, phone call/portal change march 25th, snail mail acceptance received today. Hope that helps! Best of luck to you guys :xf:

On a different note:

Does anyone know if CCOM requires a drug test? Its not a huge concern for me, but I'd like to know before I engage in any summer before med school tom-foolery.

I don't remember if we had a drug test or not, just the fingerprinting. Make sure you don't screw up though. A lot of things may be considered "unprofessional" and be grounds for dismissal from the Dean's office.

Does anyone know if CCOM is interviewing still? I've been battering them with emails of updates and intent and still no interview invite :confused:

Alt list via snail mail. March interview.

Does anyone know if CCOM is interviewing still? I've been battering them with emails of updates and intent and still no interview invite :confused:

I interviewed on Monday, April 4th. I believe they said there's a couple more interview days left and that we were interviewing for actual seats. Keep your head up because there still is a chance.

I don't remember if we had a drug test or not, just the fingerprinting. Make sure you don't screw up though. A lot of things may be considered "unprofessional" and be grounds for dismissal from the Dean's office.

What is the fingerprinting for and @ what point is it done?

I interviewed on Monday, April 4th. I believe they said there's a couple more interview days left and that we were interviewing for actual seats. Keep your head up because there still is a chance.

Mine interview was on April 4th as well, and yes, that's definitely what the Admission people said.

did anyone here get into CCOM with a 24 MCAT, and a in verbal? And what were ur GPAs.....I really need help. MWU is my firts choice, but i am really worried bout my score. took the exam twice

got a 24 on my mcat, 6 in verbal. did anyone get accepted here with that score? took it twice. my overall GPA and science is a 3.75. please help me. MWU is my first choice

got a 24 on my mcat, 6 in verbal. did anyone get accepted here with that score? took it twice. my overall GPA and science is a 3.75. please help me. MWU is my first choice

Im going to lie, a 24 is pretty low and your odds of getting in are not great with that score. That being said, its not out of the realm of possibility. Have you shadowed an osteopathic physician? Do you have a good reason for wanting to go to MWU besides the general reasons we all have? What other kinds of clinical experiences have you had? Volunteering?

yes, i am in a shadowing program which includes 76 clinical hrs. In that program, the ER doc is a D.O. and in fact she is a graduate of MWU. Also, my commitee recommendations were all outstandings ( 5 people on the commitee each one gave me an outstanding). I have 2.5 yrs research. 2 yrs at my undergrad school, a sem at a medical school. Am co-authored for a paper and i am a NREMT and volunteer at an underserved clinic.

Im going to lie, a 24 is pretty low and your odds of getting in are not great with that score. That being said, its not out of the realm of possibility. Have you shadowed an osteopathic physician? Do you have a good reason for wanting to go to MWU besides the general reasons we all have? What other kinds of clinical experiences have you had? Volunteering?

I do realize a 24 is low, which is why I am asking. I will be studying for the exam for a 3rd take, but not sitting for it till my verbal goes up two points