CCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so which form do you fill out first the MWU form or the FAFSA? And how do you apply for the Perkins Loans. I don't want to ask for too much Stafford or PLUS on the MWU app if I can get some from a Perkins Loan. I'm new to this, bare w/ me.:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Perkins loans are very small. Even if you can get it, you won't have enough. For most people, Stafford loans won't be sufficient either. PLUS loans (more expensive) will usually be required.

I did my FAFSA first, then followed the step by step instructions on MWU website. Be sure to select MWU as your school on FAFSA.

Members don't see this ad :)
It took me about 2 weeks from the time I filled out my FAFSA and fin aid stuff on MWUNET to the time I got my award letter. However, I did already have a FAFSA pin and I went with Discover as my lender instead of Midwestern.

I chose Discover cuz they're the only ones that pay for origination and default fee I believe for Stafford loans...and I am PISSED right now that I didn't receive the Perkins Loan:mad::mad:

I chose Discover cuz they're the only ones that pay for origination and default fee I believe for Stafford loans...and I am PISSED right now that I didn't receive the Perkins Loan:mad::mad:

Don't be pissed, a fin aid counselor just told me they don't consider med or pharm students for the perkins loans, I thought that was stupid, but that's life I guess. So, how do I choose discover over MWU? And for anyone, what if I overestimate or underestimate how much I need on the MWU application? Can you ask for more later, or get less if you decide you don't need all your awarded?

Im a fourth year, so I know a little about this.

Take just less than you think you will need. You can always take more. If you take more originally, you will spend it even if you don't need it.

Im graduating with 218k in debt which is bad, but definitely not horrible, and some of my classmates are at around 300k.

Im a fourth year, so I know a little about this.

Take just less than you think you will need. You can always take more. If you take more originally, you will spend it even if you don't need it.

Im graduating with 218k in debt which is bad, but definitely not horrible, and some of my classmates are at around 300k.

Yikes, 218 is bad? If I take out just enough for tuition, with increases every year, I'd still be over 200. What's considered good? Assuming your on your own?

Ahh, yes it appears to be impossible. They really seem to be hammering us a little on tuition.

So, how do I choose discover over MWU? And for anyone, what if I overestimate or underestimate how much I need on the MWU application? Can you ask for more later, or get less if you decide you don't need all your awarded?

First you have to fill out MWU's general financial aid application. Then to choose discover you just go to discover's website and fill out an application for Stafford and Grad Plus (each one is a separate application). Then choose to sign the MPN electronically and you list MWU as the institution you will be attending. When you are filling out the application they will ask what amounts you want to request. At this point don't bother requesting amounts and if they require you to enter an amount just put the max. (I don't think they required me to enter amounts.)

They will then give you an award letter which will probably be for the maximum amount you qualify for. Once you figure out where you will be living and other variables adjust your amount with the financial aid office (hopefully to a lower amount).

That is the lump sum of everything I did, hope it helps!

First you have to fill out MWU's general financial aid application. Then to choose discover you just go to discover's website and fill out an application for Stafford and Grad Plus (each one is a separate application). Then choose to sign the MPN electronically and you list MWU as the institution you will be attending. When you are filling out the application they will ask what amounts you want to request. At this point don't bother requesting amounts and if they require you to enter an amount just put the max. (I don't think they required me to enter amounts.)

They will then give you an award letter which will probably be for the maximum amount you qualify for. Once you figure out where you will be living and other variables adjust your amount with the financial aid office (hopefully to a lower amount).

That is the lump sum of everything I did, hope it helps!

Very helpful, thank you.

Don't be pissed, a fin aid counselor just told me they don't consider med or pharm students for the perkins loans, I thought that was stupid, but that's life I guess. So, how do I choose discover over MWU? And for anyone, what if I overestimate or underestimate how much I need on the MWU application? Can you ask for more later, or get less if you decide you don't need all your awarded?

Well it's quite misleading when it says on the website "eligibility: ALL disciplines"....for the Perkins

Members don't see this ad :)
CCOM posts make me happy.

Realizing that I am going to be $300,000 in debt makes me sad.

Anyway....is anyone else trying to decide between living in DG/Lombard area and Oak Park? I'm realizing that I need to act soon and I can't decide!

i'm assuming you mean oak brook? Oak Park is not somewhere you want to live and commute to DG. I would suggest DG/Lombard, or even Westmont. Oakbrook, while close, can be a bit ritzy/pricier. I mean, really, I think DG will have a good, affordable place.

Anyway....is anyone else trying to decide between living in DG/Lombard area and Oak Park? I'm realizing that I need to act soon and I can't decide!

Right now I'm waiting to see if I got into any of the on campus housing. Hopefully they will let me know soon enough so I can make alternative plans if necessary. Check out the facebook group, there are ~90 people in our class on there and we have discussed living arrangements a bit...

i'm assuming you mean oak brook? Oak Park is not somewhere you want to live and commute to DG. I would suggest DG/Lombard, or even Westmont. Oakbrook, while close, can be a bit ritzy/pricier. I mean, really, I think DG will have a good, affordable place.

No, I meant Oak Park. Several people have said that there are a handful of people in 1st and 2nd year who live here. I've hear drive times anywhere from 20-30 mins (google maps has it at 20 mins), obviously more with an accident or during peak rush hour.

I assume you are from Chicago, seeing as you are at UNECOM right now? If so does ~25 mins sound right?

No, I meant Oak Park. Several people have said that there are a handful of people in 1st and 2nd year who live here. I've hear drive times anywhere from 20-30 mins (google maps has it at 20 mins), obviously more with an accident or during peak rush hour.

I assume you are from Chicago, seeing as you are at UNECOM right now? If so does ~25 mins sound right?

Depends which side of Oak Park you are in too..if you move to the north side it's a very nice neighborhood...on the south side (from US-290) it's not..though I hear it's improving...you're prob better off liviing in Lombard, DG, or Westmont since they are right next to Midwestern...

On another note- Any current MS know how good the school insurance plan is? Maybe list some Pros and Cons...

On another note- Any current MS know how good the school insurance plan is? Maybe list some Pros and Cons...

while im here... its pretty ok i suppose. I cant remmeber the details but.
about $2300 per year, $500 deductible, $20 office visits, $25 Rx
theres an optional dental plan, i got an hmo one for 150/year.
hope that helps

Has anyone heard anything after the last interview cycle? They said this week right? :xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:

For those of you that have applied for financial aid, what is the max amount of stafford loan we can get? The website lists it as $42,722 w/ $8,500 sub and $34,222 unsub. Is this what people were getting? A fin aid counselor just emailed me that the max they can award is $33,000 w/ $8,500 sub and $24,500 unsub. I hope she had me confused with a pharmacy student. Anyone have any input?

How do we hear about decision? They said that they send a letter in mail, but I was wondering since the application was online, do they update the status on website first and then send the letter? just curious.

How do we hear about decision? They said that they send a letter in mail, but I was wondering since the application was online, do they update the status on website first and then send the letter? just curious.

My matriculation agreement appeared on the online application about a week before my letter of accept arrived via U.S. Mail.

Why on the MWU financial aid app do they ask us what kind of car we will drive to campus? Is this for parking permit or something, or does the kind of car we have effect how much aid we will get?

Does ANYONE received the letter before having the status update online? So, do we also know online if we are rejected? I am getting so nervous because a letter has been sent to my home address and I won't know until the end of this week. It's killing me.

Why on the MWU financial aid app do they ask us what kind of car we will drive to campus? Is this for parking permit or something, or does the kind of car we have effect how much aid we will get?

perhaps it has to do with the estimated maintenance costs.

CCOM posts make me happy.

Realizing that I am going to be $300,000 in debt makes me sad.

I will most likely be living in the Oak Park/Forest Park area. I know it will be a longer commute but I am excited to live in the neighborhood. Also, I don't have a lot of options since my boyfriend will be working in the city. I've been looking for places on craigslist and so far it seems like they don't have any places up that are leasing July and August. Have you found anything yet?

Does anyone know how many people get off the alternate list? I was recently put on alternate list and it is making me nervous that I might not end up getting accepted. When do we usually hear about it?

Does anyone know how many people get off the alternate list? I was recently put on alternate list and it is making me nervous that I might not end up getting accepted. When do we usually hear about it?

I don't rem. if it's ranked or not..but I knwo they keep taking ppl off till the first wk of classes..so don't lose hope..I would HIGHLY recommend letter of intent since the director of admission Michael Lakin loves them..

I am not 100% sure, but I think someone at CCOM mentioned a number over 100.

There is a high chance of coming off the waitlist at CCOM.

I interviewed April 10th and haven't heard anything yet. How/when did you get the news? In the mail or by checking on MWUNET?

I was told by someone in admissions that there were more than 125 applicants on the waitlist and the class was full. However, in the past years, they have had as many as 50 students accepted off this alternate list. With the expansion of class this year to 200, this number might even be bigger this year. Or who knows, those 200 accepted may all just attend. I am also keeping my fingers crossed on this one as I really want to attend CCOM for personal reasons.

A quick glance over your posts shows that you applied some time in March to CCOM. That is way too late. Although you did get an interview, selling their ADCOM that you really want to attend their school is really a difficult task in your situation. Your posts indicate that you were waiting on MD schools during the earlier part of the cycle, hence a letter of intent to CCOM may not do very much for you i.e if the ADCOMs saw through it. But the least you can do for yourself now is write on anyways. Good luck to you!

Can you borrow the max stafford loan amount (sub & unsub) from one company such as Discover? or do you have to borrow from several different companies to get the total amount?

Can you borrow the max stafford loan amount (sub & unsub) from one company such as Discover? or do you have to borrow from several different companies to get the total amount?

I borrowed the full amount for stafford and grad plus only from discover, so ya you can.

I borrowed the full amount for stafford and grad plus only from discover, so ya you can.

Do you have to wait until your FAFSA is processed and sent to the school before you can apply w/ discover? B/c I filled out all the info on discovers website and they want me to e-sign a promissary note, but they haven't said how much I'm going to get or anything yet, what the heck is this all about?

Do you have to wait until your FAFSA is processed and sent to the school before you can apply w/ discover? B/c I filled out all the info on discovers website and they want me to e-sign a promissary note, but they haven't said how much I'm going to get or anything yet, what the heck is this all about?

You can apply, but the Fin Aid office will expect your FAFSA before they approve any loans.

You can apply, but the Fin Aid office will expect your FAFSA before they approve any loans.

This is probably true, I couldn't say for sure because I did my FAFSA back in February. Just try to get it all done soon and I'm sure CCOM will process it as it comes together.

On the MWU website, it says that FAFSA info is required for Grad PLUS loan processing.

Got my letter yesterday...alternate list :confused:............Hopefully that changes:xf:

I will most likely be living in the Oak Park/Forest Park area. I know it will be a longer commute but I am excited to live in the neighborhood. Also, I don't have a lot of options since my boyfriend will be working in the city. I've been looking for places on craigslist and so far it seems like they don't have any places up that are leasing July and August. Have you found anything yet?

I'm a little late to reply to this... but I can give you a little info on the Oak Park/Forest Park aspect. I currently live in Forest Park, and I absolutely love it. While I don't think you will have much (if any!) free time as a medical student, what little you do - if you are interested in going in to Chicago this is the perfect location. I do have some experience of commuting as I have been assisting with a class for the past 3 years at CCOM. Even in the dead of winter, or with a car accident, it has never taken me more than 30 mins to get to campus for an 8 am start (read: heavy traffic time of day). I would say the average would be between 18-20 mins, but I do live close to 290. So if you are a little off of the expressway it might take a little longer. I live 2 blocks from the blue line train, so getting into the city is no problem and I almost always take advantage of the train. The area also has a lot of medical students from Loyola living in the OP/FP area, you'll notice them in the coffee shops. Oak Park also has a really nice relatively new library that is good for studying. And Dominican University is a not too far either with library hours from 8 am - midnight 7 days a week. I do know there is a handful of students in the OP/RF area as 1st and 2nd year students and most seem happy living there. I'm not sure about your lack of being able to find places to lease. I actually own my house - it's a two flat, and I rent out the top level as a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apt, with 2 parking spaces, and 2 decks. I know there are a lot of 2 or 3 flat apartments in the area, or single family homes to rent. If you are looking for straight apartments there are a few larger apartment complexes, but you won't find many large apartment building complexes in the area. Try craigslist. You are correct in saying this is a good location if your sig other has to work downtown. This is a happy medium for both of you. The restaurants and pubs in both downtown Forest Park and Oak Park are great too. If you have any other questions on the area I'd be happy to help!

I'm currently waitlisted, and patiently waiting hope things are going to fall into place and I will be getting off of the waitlist!

Wow thank you so much, that was very helpful. It's great to hear from someone who lives in the area! I hear the waitlist at CCOM gets a lot of movement. Good luck!

I'm a little late to reply to this... but I can give you a little info on the Oak Park/Forest Park aspect. I currently live in Forest Park, and I absolutely love it. While I don't think you will have much (if any!) free time as a medical student, what little you do - if you are interested in going in to Chicago this is the perfect location. I do have some experience of commuting as I have been assisting with a class for the past 3 years at CCOM. Even in the dead of winter, or with a car accident, it has never taken me more than 30 mins to get to campus for an 8 am start (read: heavy traffic time of day). I would say the average would be between 18-20 mins, but I do live close to 290. So if you are a little off of the expressway it might take a little longer. I live 2 blocks from the blue line train, so getting into the city is no problem and I almost always take advantage of the train. The area also has a lot of medical students from Loyola living in the OP/FP area, you'll notice them in the coffee shops. Oak Park also has a really nice relatively new library that is good for studying. And Dominican University is a not too far either with library hours from 8 am - midnight 7 days a week. I do know there is a handful of students in the OP/RF area as 1st and 2nd year students and most seem happy living there. I'm not sure about your lack of being able to find places to lease. I actually own my house - it's a two flat, and I rent out the top level as a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apt, with 2 parking spaces, and 2 decks. I know there are a lot of 2 or 3 flat apartments in the area, or single family homes to rent. If you are looking for straight apartments there are a few larger apartment complexes, but you won't find many large apartment building complexes in the area. Try craigslist. You are correct in saying this is a good location if your sig other has to work downtown. This is a happy medium for both of you. The restaurants and pubs in both downtown Forest Park and Oak Park are great too. If you have any other questions on the area I'd be happy to help!

I'm currently waitlisted, and patiently waiting hope things are going to fall into place and I will be getting off of the waitlist!

This is for anybody who is on the waitlist and looking for hopeful info. We have been getting some emails from the admin and one person in particular doesn't use BCC, so I counted (not manually) the names and there are 203 people to whom the latest email was sent.

I don't know much about how many people they admit, but I had thought they would over-accept by much more than 3 people at this point in the year. I would see that as good info for someone on the waitlist, as I am sure a number of these 203 people will give up their spot in the coming week(s) and months.

Oh, and Nevergiveup, thanks for the lowdown on Oak Park, I have been trying to get additional info on Oak Park beyond what has been posted thus far...I appreciate it (especially since you are saying it can be do-able)!

For what its worth, Im a second year student and have lived in downtown Chicago for several years now. Ive taken I-290 into Downers Grove since day 1. Its definitely doable. Takes me about 30-40min with no traffic (i.e 4am on test days) and between 45-60 minutes most other days. If its raining or snowing, it may take longer. It is a little difficult to those early classes if your not much of a morning person, but you may find out as I did that classes were not all that important to attend, especially in your second year. The pros of living in the city are numerous. There is always something to do if you need a break from studying. If you are driving, make sure to dill up your tank in Lombard or Downers Grove as gas in the city is considerably mire expensive, and youll be filling up your tank often (Downtown to CCOM = 22 miles)

Got my housing. Will be living in the dorms! Anyone want to sell me a microwave or fridge?

I got a call yesterday from Mr. Laken saying that I have been accepted off of the Alternate List:soexcited:!!! My matriculation agreement showed up online yesterday as well..so for those of you waiting to hear. Call the admissions office and check online!! Good luck :xf:

Status
Not open for further replies.