CCOM Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
NUgirl said:
There will never be any reading assignments. Most people don't even have time to read anything outside the notes, anyway. The tests only cover what's in the notes, and believe me, the notes are very thorough and will take up all of your time. The profs only teach off their notes, and there are no references to a specific text. Med school is nothing like undergrad, in that sense.

Thanks NUgirl

And these notes...are they provided in its 100% entirety?

Members don't see this ad.

Claymore said:
Lots of people, including myself, also used Rohen. This is a photographic atlas of dissected cadavers. I liked it because it's most similar to what your practical tests will be like, however you could get away without using it if you're tight on cash.

In your opinion, how is this compared to the McMinn's Color atlas of human anatomy? thanks

Eyecon82 said:
Thanks NUgirl

And these notes...are they provided in its 100% entirety?

Good question....Also - do we buy these notes at the bookstore there? Or are they given to us? (I doubt the latter, but thought I'd ask.)

Lari

Members don't see this ad :)
hey there guys...like i mentioned before, although im going to be in your class i have taken a few of the classes last year as an at large student...as far as the notes go...they are amazing and rarely leave anything out. As for whether you have to buy them...its all departmental. Some departments give them to you such as biochem...others such as physio require you to buy them for a whopping 30 bucks or so!!! Not so bad!!! I bought a book that no one had ever used for biochem and it really helped me...it called Basic Medical Biochemistry " A clinical approach"...it wasnt quite as detailed as lippencotts but what it did was give you case studies for everything that we studied...this really helped in test prep since a lot of the tests have clinically based questions!!! Just my $.02

tovah

Eyecon82 said:
In your opinion, how is this compared to the McMinn's Color atlas of human anatomy? thanks

I used Rohen, and I loved it. I've only seen Mcminn's, and I didn't use it to study from, but from what I've seen, Rohen is better. Most people use Rohen. Unless you already have McMinn's, I HIGHLY recommend Rohen's Color Atlas. It was extremely useful to study from for practicals.

As far as notes are concerned, like HoosierDO said, you will have notes provided for in their entirety for every single class. Biochem, psychiatry, OMM, clinical medicine, and every class from the anatomy dept (anatomy, histology, embryology, and neuro) will provide them for free. You will need to buy your own notes for physiology and immunology.

I hope that helps! :)

Hi again everyone...it's beginning to hit me that we are going to be starting school very soon :scared: :eek:

I see all of this movement in this thread....yikes....hmmm..maybe I should start putting things together instead of procrastinating. I figured I would wait to worry about everything when school starts and just lump it in with the school worries. :eek: :oops:

Thanks for keeping me updated with everything. :luck:

I'd just like to comment that CCOM is going to be crawling with hot women.
Carry on.

hi guys! i'm gonna be a first year too............i'm so excited :scared: :D

hey, what immunizations do we need to have? i called them and they said definitely have them done in time for the october titer, but i forgot to ask which ones we need and if it will be cheaper to get them done there when we start school.

DireWolf said:
I'd just like to comment that CCOM is going to be crawling with hot women.
Carry on.

I had NO idea that you decided to transfer from OSU to CCOM next year...Woohoo :thumbup: ;)

Whats up CCOM Class 2008!

I wanted to say hello and congrats to everyone in the new class. I am coming from Texas so the snow will be a little different. I came to Chicago with some friends a couple of weeks ago and signed a lease at City View. We explored Chi-town and had some damn good Giordano's (sp?) deep-deep-deep dish pizza. I am looking forward to meeting everyone and I dont mind breaking the ice by having people over to my place to party a little before school starts (i probably should since i dont know anyone in Chicago). I am looking forward to a great year in a new place with new people.

Thanks!

UT_DO_O8

Howdy all? I was wondering if any of ya'll are going to be living at International village in the fall. Haven't quite decided and I need to soon.

Also, UT DO 08. I'm from austin too. When are you heading up? Be good to drive with another texan to yankee land.

Patrick

Patrick,

Makes me feel good that I wont be the only Texan up north. I am actually heading up around the 20th of August depending on when I quit working. When are you heading up to Chicago? Did you go to UT or do you just live in Austin? Let me know what your plans are and we will definitely meet up.

Later

UT_DO-08

P.S. I live/work in Houston for this past year but will be heading to Austin this weekend to go party with some friends.

Well, the school year is quickly approaching and it is also sinking in with me that our lifestyles will be changing very soon. I'm headed out to the DG area this weekend and will hopefully find a place to rent. Should be interesting! Other than that, finishing up things at work and looking forward to all the new challenges. Hope everyone is well and look forward to meeting you.

Jeff

Members don't see this ad :)
jdanie2 said:
Well, the school year is quickly approaching and it is also sinking in with me that our lifestyles will be changing very soon.

:wow: :eek: :scared:

Need. More. Time. :eek:

and yeah, I know earlier on in this thread I said I wanted school to start already, but I just need one more month please. :oops:

Hey guys.. don't we have orientation starting on September 1? Is anyone else living on-campus? We move in on August 30th, right? So, we on-campus peeps needn't arrive until the 30th? Yes!? Yes? :confused: :thumbup:

hey, i gots an idea: lets post our pics so we know each other when we start school!!! we can start an "SDN Club". hahahaa...........Here's me! i'm Jessie!

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    9.5 KB · Views: 206
  • hunnymoonsunset.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 199
Here's mine - I'm Andy. My wife Ashleigh and I are moving at the end of August to the campus apartments.

Attachments

• Picture 252a.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 193
  • Picture 177a.JPG
    9.6 KB · Views: 158
Hey Here's some pictures of me. I just finished packing up my apartment in Cleveland and will be moving to DG next weekend. I can't wait to see you all!!! :)

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 204
  • picture.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 183
MC^2 said:
Hey guys.. don't we have orientation starting on September 1? Is anyone else living on-campus? We move in on August 30th, right? So, we on-campus peeps needn't arrive until the 30th? Yes!? Yes? :confused: :thumbup:
You're right MC^2, no need to come earlier unless you want to explore the DG area or Downtown to get better acquainted.

See you all in Fall

tcat
CCOM 07

Lari29 said:
Claymore,
Thank you for telling us what goes during orientation. :thumbup: Is there stuff going on also between move-in and orientation? (i.e. Aug 30-Sept 1)

It'd be really great if you could post your suggestions on what books are useful for first year. From what I've got so far from other students at CCOM as being THE books...

Netter's Anatomy Atlas
First Aid Step 1
Lippincott's Biochemistry

Are there others you would add to the list for first quarter? Buying from Amazon sounds like a good idea. I believe if you spend more than $25 you get free shipping (of course, I'm not sure how fast that shipping is - but I guess if you order before school starts, it's fine).

Thank you!
Lari
The RA's will probably plan small gatherings in the evenings for all the students who are moving in. Last year there were ice cream socials, and movies. Of course feel free to wander the halls and meet ppl from some of the other programs as we all share the facilities, this proved quite fun and sometimes even a welcomed distraction once the quarter began.

Tcat
CCOM - MS II

I lived in the dorms last year and will be doing so again.

And as for your travel concerns, you should definitely go for it! :thumbup: My summer before starting I went to India and Thailand, it gives you a great perspective and you might as well have memorable enjoyable experiences before the grind of the quarter catches up with you :)

Tcat
MS II

hi all, i'll be joining you in the 1st yr. class. i was wondering if anyone can tell me when the white coat ceremony will be. i just talked to student services who said it will be in the orientation packet (which should arrive today) but i'm travelling and won't see my mail for awhile! thanks! marissa

jambajuice said:
hi all, i'll be joining you in the 1st yr. class. i was wondering if anyone can tell me when the white coat ceremony will be. i just talked to student services who said it will be in the orientation packet (which should arrive today) but i'm travelling and won't see my mail for awhile! thanks! marissa

Got mine today.
The White Coat Ceremony is Friday October 1, 2004

-Brian

Look for me at orientation...
I can't wait to meet all of you.

-Brian

p.s. I'm the one with the stache.

Attachments

• nontraditionalstudent.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 194
ha ha ha thanks for that.

I don't mean to be a huge DWEEB or anything, but does anyone know if parents/spouses/friends can come to that white coat ceremony? its a big moment in my life that i would like people to share with me :D

Yeah, you can bring parents/spouses/etc to the white coat ceremony. Most people do unless they're from out of town.

Does anyone have any info on this meal plan? Is it worth the money? I can't remember if the food was any good. Does it make your life any easier?
Thanks

Patrick

billygoat said:
Does anyone have any info on this meal plan? Is it worth the money? I can't remember if the food was any good. Does it make your life any easier?
Thanks

Patrick

Most people do the 5 meal plan. I had to come off the meal plan all together winter quarter b/c I couldn't stand the food anymore. I didn't think it was good, but some people liked it. In my opinion, it might be better to just pay as you go b/c that costs $4-5/meal (but you constantly need to have cash on hand), while if you're on the meal plan you're paying $7/meal. Plus, your meals don't carry over, so if you don't use some during that week, you simply lose the meals.

Thanks for the advice NU girl. It's one of those things that you wouldn't know until you started - and probably after you had already signed up for the 5 meal plan - so it's obviously good to know now. On another note, went out to the burbs (as I have lived in the city for the past six years) and realized how far away the city actually will be. Should be interesting!? Although, on a brighter note, there seem to be quite a few apartment complexes in the area and I think I found a place with rent under $600/month (love those deals now that most people are buying). It's called Timber Creek and I'll hopefully get a positive review of my rental app within the next couple days. All in all, things are coming together and I'm looking forward to actually starting. It's like a big sports game where you're nervouse beforehand but, once you start, everything seems to go well as long as you work hard. Good luck to everyone making the final month's preparations - I look forward to meeting all of you during orientation. Whatever happened to the summer BBQ? Any news I not aware of? Here's to livin' it up for the final month of summer!!

Hello everybody, MC^2 clued me into the SDN thing. I'll be a MSI at CCOM and will be living at the traditional dorms. Sounds like everybody is just as excited as I am. :D I grew up in Naperville (10 minutes from Downers Grove) and I can assure all the out of staters that it is a great area with lots to do and it is actually really close to chicago (25min no traffic and 1hr with). I don't know what everyone is doing but I went and signed up for the 12 meal plan since its $5.67/meal and I don't want to be worrying about what to eat. I worked at Midwestern for two summers and the food is actually really good. Ofcourse there are alot of great restaurants within five minutes for the occassional get away. For everyone not from Chicago, Portillos is the ****. Best restaurant around and 5 minutes from campus! I was reading about the BBQ discussions and why don't we do it the evening after move in on the 8/30. Or we could have one after one of orientation days. The nights look wide open.

welcome mc7! i work in naperville at edward heart hospital....small world :) and hey, does anyone know when we usually start receiving the financial aid? will it be a while after we start class?

Hello,

I just thought I would welcome you all to CCOM. I am the V.P. of the MSII class, so you will get sick of seeing me around the first few weeks. I do not come on here often, but if you got questions just let me know. Also, the first week is fun and there will be tons of stuff to do so enjoy it!

Se ya all at orientation...I will be the guy with the Boston accent.

Hey, rockstar, I was wondering if there is enoucgh money in the allotted $2500 for books to buy a $600-800 computer. Do most students end up using all of the allotted books/supplies money? Besides books, what kind of supplies do you need? Do you need any doctors tools or anything?

$2500 for books is way more than you need. See previous posts regarding which books to buy. You should not be spending more than $800 for the whole year, and that is even stretching it. So yes you can buy a computer if you want one. You do need to set aside a few hundred or so for your instruments...how much you spend depends on how fancy you want your toys to be. Stethoscopes run around $100, oto/ophthalmoscopes around $250 or more, and other miscellaneous stuff comes out to around $400-500 or so. Of course if you can get any of this stuff as a hand-me-down from a physician relative or friend, that's perfectly acceptable also. Keep in mind this is usally a one time expense and you shouldn't have to fork over this much $$ again. And, each quarter you buy fewer and fewer books, so that also gets cheaper.

CCOM students,
Could you please let us know if CCOM have any preceptorship program during the first two years? If there is, how frequent do students see patients per month? Also, does the school have any volunteering clinics that allow med students have an early clinical exposure? Lastly, during your third year, besides Cook County Hospital, where else students can have their clinical rotation? Much thanks!

Hey JunkInTheTrunk, so you're a fellow Naperthrillean? Woohoo! As for financial aid, I was told during the 2nd or 3rd week we should be getting the refund checks. It would be alot faster if you already have direct deposit set up thru the aid office. I assume you have received your award letter which were supposed to be sent in the last month. My first one was wrong so I just got another one last week. Are the locals having a summer BBQ? or are we just waiting?

mc7: i live in lagrange, work in "naperthrill" :D i'm going to boogie nights tonite to get my disco on!!!! WOO!!! haha.....if you're all lucky i might be on drunk typing later tonite :) bwahahah. :laugh: come to think of it, that might be a good place to party away our stress during weekends at school....its only a few blocks away!!!

(not a good sign: planning how i'm going to relieve my not yet existent stress :scared: :laugh: )

Hi All. I got a couple question for any M2-M4's reguarding equipment. What oto/ophthalmoscopes and stethoscopes are recommended. I own 2 Littman Classic S.E.'s and I am wondering if I should invest in the cardiology III.
See you all in the fall.

Also, in Histology- are the slides available online/on computer... or just the old-fashioned microscopic way? :rolleyes:

JITT: You go girl! Get your Freak ON! (Boogie Nights is a fun place and I didn't know they had one in DG) Glad to see some are enjoying their summer as I intend to. Alot of our questions will be answered at orientation. As for planning for the future stress releases, that's fine. The best advice I have received has been, "Med school can be fun if you let it be. The hardest part was getting in."

Hey there guys...well one thing we need not worry about are places to unwind when time permits. There are tons of things to do around the area without going downtown...although that is a great time too. Boogie nights is a lot of fun, quite a meat market but who can beat $1 u-call-its...there are numerous places with karaoke and great atmosphere. Right downtown dg there is a great irish pub, laid back with live music, and of course there is always the midwestern staple of "anyways". As for the bbq...i must confess that I have decided to take the month of august and spend it on the beach so i wont be in the area...but why dont we try to organize something for that saturday after orientation...the 5th i think??? Anyone down for that?????

cant wait to meet everyone...
tovah

i'm sooooo down with that, hoos! and the people that are "too cool for sdn" that we meet during orientation will prob want to come too :) hehe

Please sign me up for the fun...and HoosierDO...the 5th sounds great :thumbup:

I still can't believe August is already here. :eek:

Hello all. I will be joining you as part of the class of 2008. I am so excited to meet all of you and start this fall! :thumbup: J.S.

Welcome JS! I just have to ask if everyone has looked over the orientation packet like a bizillion times just as I have because we are all so freakin excited and in disbelief that med school is finally here after all that undergrad work that we all enjoyed so much (That may be a run on sentence but who has to take an english course again, just dictate it;) HoosierDO, I must agree that Irish Pub in DG is really a great place. The name slips me tho. They had Irish dancers from Gaelic Park last time I was there. Good show!

Hey guys......

I hope you are all enjoying your 2nd to last summer!

As far as medical equipment.....the only thing I bought was a stethoscope. And I'm glad that's all I bought. You do not need and opthalmascope or otoscope, or reflex hammer, etc...

They are a waste of money and you will never use them after med school. Plus I guarantee that there will be plenty of classmates who do have them for you to share during class.

As far as which stethoscope you should get....Most people have the Cardiology III.
It's a great stethoscope for a great price....( about 150 or so).

As far as Histo goes....there are a few histo atlas' you can buy. and they are all available to look at in the library. and yes, there are also slides on the computer. Thank god we don't use microscopes for histo.

by the way.....Tovah, don't get too pumped up to meet Scubadiva......we are caravaning it there from CA and I'll probably get so fed up with her that she will get there with a limp! :D

mc7 said:
Welcome JS! I just have to ask if everyone has looked over the orientation packet like a bizillion times just as I have because we are all so freakin excited and in disbelief that med school is finally here after all that undergrad work that we all enjoyed so much (That may be a run on sentence but who has to take an english course again, just dictate it;) HoosierDO, I must agree that Irish Pub in DG is really a great place. The name slips me tho. They had Irish dancers from Gaelic Park last time I was there. Good show!

that irish pub is one of our classes fav. hangouts....."Ballydoyles"....(although i'm not sure how it's spelled or if it's two words! I'm usually pretty drunk there so the name is always blurry! ) :laugh:

mc7 said:
Welcome JS! I just have to ask if everyone has looked over the orientation packet like a bizillion times just as I have because we are all so freakin excited and in disbelief that med school is finally here after all that undergrad work that we all enjoyed so much (That may be a run on sentence but who has to take an english course again, just dictate it;)

haha...yeah, I'd have to admit I've looked over that quite a few times! :p
I'm pretty excited about moving closer to the city...rollerblading by the lakefront is the best! (Eyecon: belated reply, but I live in Carol Stream which is near Bartlett/Bloomingdale/Glendale Heights)

Sounds like everyone is making the most of their last month of freedom before school starts. As for me, I can't quite afford a european trip, so Toronto (to visit cousins) it is! :D

Thanks to all the MSII-IVs who have posted. I greatly appreciate all your help! See you all soon.

Hey JS- I saw on your profile that you like ceramics. Are you planning on keeping that up during school? Do you know of any places nearby where you can throw?