CBSE - July 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hard to say. The “ideal” score is going to fluctuate between programs.

UMKC:

“Applicants to the 4-yr OMS certificate program must earn a minimum score to be considered for an interview: CBSE as of 02-2022: 2-Digit Score of 58 or higher (Total Equated Percent Correct)”

“Applicants to the 6-yr OMS certificate plus MD program must earn a minimum score to be considered for an interview: CBSE as of 02-2022: 2-Digit Score of 62 or higher (Total Equated Percent Correct)”

UF Gainesville:

“A minimum NBME CBSE score of 70 (or 202) is required.”

Case Western:

“NBME CBSE score of 60 or higher.”

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For someone who finished u world and NBMEs, I thought this exam was super random-worded really poorly, and just very vague. Anyone else genuinely feel like this? No HY things tested either

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For someone who finished u world and NBMEs, I thought this exam was super random-worded really poorly, and just very vague. Anyone else genuinely feel like this? No HY things tested either
Yeah this thing destroyed me lol; probably gonna retake in Feb. It is what it is.

Yeah after doing + essentially memorizing NBMEs 20-31 + Free120 I was legitimately shocked. There seemed to be a pattern of question that existed and repeated through all NBMEs that dropped off here. It’s more annoying than anything cuz I have no idea how I could prepare better. Also there were entire organ systems that had 0 questions asked like wtf.

Reactions: 1 users
Could someone explain the scoring to me? if we all believe, and people who have taken them in the past think this was especially hard, is there a curve? is that what percent equated means?
basically i guess im asking is this percent equated a test by test "curve" or are all the tests on the same curve

I’m hoping it’s curved. It was super low yield info, I’m just shocked. I can’t really afford to take this again-mentally and physically cannot :(

Could someone explain the scoring to me? if we all believe, and people who have taken them in the past think this was especially hard, is there a curve? is that what percent equated means?
basically i guess im asking is this percent equated a test by test "curve" or are all the tests on the same curve
From what I understand, the EPC is a statistically adjusted value of the content that you have mastered, and is based on amount of questions you answered correctly as well as difficulty of the question. How the level of difficulty is assigned: I would guess there is some criteria NBME looks at and depending on how that batch of test takers did would classify a question. I would assume the stats change each test and they use that to calculate scores, but I am unsure.

From what I understand, the EPC is a statistically adjusted value of the content that you have mastered, and is based on amount of questions you answered correctly as well as difficulty of the question. How the level of difficulty is assigned: I would guess there is some criteria NBME looks at and depending on how that batch of test takers did would classify a question. I would assume the stats change each test and they use that to calculate scores, but I am unsure.
Is it a raw score out of 200? So like 170/200 is 85?

Yeah after doing + essentially memorizing NBMEs 20-31 + Free120 I was legitimately shocked. There seemed to be a pattern of question that existed and repeated through all NBMEs that dropped off here. It’s more annoying than anything cuz I have no idea how I could prepare better. Also there were entire organ systems that had 0 questions asked like wtf.
I agree. I don’t know how I would’ve been able to prepare for this exam. I legit felt like I was taking a whole different exam from what I was studying

Is it a raw score out of 200? So like 170/200 is 85?
No, because a raw score wouldn't account for the assigned difficulty value for that question. But I'd assume more questions right, regardless of value of difficulty, would mean a higher score.

I’m assuming they’ll have to curate the score reports with how everyone does. So a “low pass” score may equal more questions wrong than previous exams

That makes sense. i was hoping the difficulty of the question would be considered. thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m assuming they’ll have to curate the score reports with how everyone does. So a “low pass” score may equal more questions wrong than previous exams

AAOMS has a link to NBME with more details on how the score is calculated:

I believe AAOMS gets the stats and more details reports on how people did for that specific test date

The Feb CBSE was curved this year, I got a raw 81.5% and my EPC was 84.

As opposed to the practice NBMEs where my EPC was always a little less than then the raw %.

Reactions: 4 users
The Feb CBSE was curved this year, I got a raw 81.5% and my EPC was 84.

As opposed to the practice NBMEs where my EPC was always a little less than then the raw %.
Did u feel like u got an amazing score when u walked out? Or confused? I took Feb exam and Altho I wasn’t quite prepared for it, it was a lot more doable than this one.

Honestly glad to read this because I walked out feeling the same way. Even for some of the high yield "gimmes" stems, it would lead me down a path of "Oh I got this" after reading the first 3 sentences, then honeydick me at the very last sentence with asking about some random twist minutiae I don't know where I would've covered

Honestly glad to read this because I walked out feeling the same way. Even for some of the high yield "gimmes" stems, it would lead me down a path of "Oh I got this" after reading the first 3 sentences, then honeydick me at the very last sentence with asking about some random twist minutiae I don't know where I would've covered
I just can’t get over the low yield ****. Lol

Fingers crossed if results are coming out tomorrow.

Took 7 days both times I took it

Does anyone keep having night mares about the exam/remembering questions at random points in the day? Lol am I going crazy

i would bet they come out today since my score report from feb disappeared from the website ~hour ago

• Wow
Got an email :(

Edit: the curve was actually pretty weak on this one (around 1% for me)

Last edited:
How are you seeing the curve ? Is the score in the top right correct ?
There are two "Print Score Report" options. The top one shows %EPC. The bottom one shows the number of incorrects. I basically counted my incorrects and compared w/ my real EPC.

How are you seeing the curve ? Is the score in the top right correct ?
Count the number of questions you got wrong in the second report - easy way would be just Cmd - F the word "Incorrect" and count the number of matches. You can do the math from there :)

79 EPC 2% curve.

Plan on posting a breakdown of what I did later when I get a minute.

If anyone could give me some advice I’m currently ranked 50th percentile in my class. 6 1 week externships all across the country basically no other ECs. Want 4 year program. Any chance for me?

The advice from Ivy.ch, pleurodynia, and indifferentosteoblast was super helpful so I'll post some of my main pointers.

1. The NBMEs are a question bank; treat them like UWorld. Review them thoroughly.
2. Mehlman videos on youtube are super good.
3. I think if you study for too long you might start forgetting old stuff. For me, the sweet spot would've been 6 months (but I studied for 7)
4. Memorizing first aid is basically impossible. I would instead try to learn the logic that the NBMEs want you to adopt (UWorld is also helpful with this).
5. Building your "base" of information is super important. Putting in consistent effort over a longer period of time is just as important as your dedicated study time (the last 3-4 weeks or so).

Time to start studying for dental anatomy.

89 EPC (95/254 old scales)

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
The advice from Ivy.ch, pleurodynia, and indifferentosteoblast were super helpful so I'll post some of my main pointers.

1. The NBMEs are a question bank; treat them like UWorld. Review them thoroughly.
3. I think if you study for too long you might start forgetting old stuff. For me, the sweet spot would've been 6 months (but I studied for 7)

Time to start studying dental anatomy.

That’s insane. That’s like a top 10% med school score. Congrats!

• Care
The advice from Ivy.ch, pleurodynia, and indifferentosteoblast were super helpful so I'll post some of my main pointers.

4. Memorizing first aid is basically impossible. I would instead try to learn the logic that the NBMEs want you to adopt (UWorld is also helpful with this).

absolutely insane!

• Care

Legend, great job.

• Care

5. Building your "base" of information is super important. Putting in consistent effort over a longer period of time is just as important as your dedicated study time (the last 3-4 weeks or so).

And this is as a fresh D1? Holy ****. Congratulations!!

• Care