Categorical surgery match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Will I ever match? Do I have a chance in surgery

• yes, you have a chance

• yes, but only in preliminary year not categorical

• Need more research

• can't predict anything

Results are only viewable after voting.

Surgery101911

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
ggggggggggggggg

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your year of graduation isn't ideal but since you've had research at Mayo Clinic (I presume since then) it's somewhat mitigated.

Categorical surgery is difficult for IMGs. It'll depend somewhat on if you're a citizen and if you require a visa and if your country of origin currently has any travel/visa restrictions.

Apply broadly, take the interviews you get. Best chance is going to be at Mayo if you've been doing research there, ask your mentors to talk to PD etc. If you don't get categorical surgery, mayo is one of the best prelim programs at placing people into categorical residences afterwards and should be considered.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
It would be better to anticipate a prelim year. Its very difficult for any IMG to go straight into categorical unless they are awesome and lucky at the same time.

I agree with bannie22 -- aim for a prelim spot and show them what you've got! Many programs don't sweat trying somebody out for a year and it often launches the prelim into a categorical spot, albeit not always in Surgery