CARMS 2017 Canadian Final Match Results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cdndoc2020

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Carms Results . See Attachment.

Seems like there is a discrepancy. Page 40 shows Final Participation for Oceania is 61 with 46% matching and on the next page under Australia it shows the same 61 but with 6.81% matching rate. 46% seems to be correct, I think..

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 2017-CaRMS-Forum-web-deck-EN.pdf
    844.5 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Would be interested in knowing this as well.

Would be interested in knowing this as well.

I interpreted it to be that 46% of the Australians that applied matched, and then out of all the IMG matches 6.81% were from Australia.

Members don't see this ad :)
What year level are you guys?
Premed? MS 1/2/3/4?

Stats are useful to know, but also require context. You'll see this debated in other threads too.
But it's part of the bigger picture you want to have.

If you're a current student, for instance, it will be more valuable to you to look at the stat of recent graduating classes. Even then, I would suggest taking it in with a grain of salt (and the more open-minded medical school administrators will say the same thing - that's why some don't like to publish their stats data, they prefer to present them at conferences/talks to their current students and grads).

the other thing you have to consider in the stats is how far away the applicants were from grad. the farther you are, the harder it is to match.
It is interesting to consider that 6.81% of IMG matches were Australian, and of that only 46% of Australian applicants matched. So it's 50/50 shot, v.s. the 99% of CMGs that will match.

Also, similar to the US, south of the border and any other Western country.
Most of the matches will be in FM or IM. If you fancy subspecialty surgery for instance, good luck with that.

If you were to match in the Australian internship - most international students will match in rural/regional areas.

You can try to tip the odds in your favor - hence why everyone strongly suggests doing electives in your country of interest if you intend to work there, partly to get LORs from local physicians. Medicine consists of small circles, everyone knows everyone after a time. They won't however, know anyone as far Australia (most likely), but they will know other clinicians in the regions you apply to for residency. It's not a requisite, but it does make your % odds higher. more importantly, I would recommend the electives (if you guys hadn't already considered it) to see if you like working in that particular field/hospital/region. there's nothing worse than putting in all that effort to realize a bit later you made the wrong choice - it's okay to, you can switch out, but it's a lot harder to. I'd known people who decided not to go back because they knew their chances were higher in matching into a specialty they liked in Australia than the US or Canada (having said that, things are changing in Australia, I have no idea if I can still say that for premed or current students - currently it's harder to get PR, which is a requirement for many vocational programs).

Also, Canadian IMGs or US IMGs do sometimes get preferential treatment in the selection process.
(in terms of - as citizens, you are familiar with the language and culture, and even healthcare system to an extent, so you're more likely to thrive).

Hey thanks for the reply. Are you currently enrolled or a graduate from one the programs in Australia?
If you have graduated, could you tell us a little more of what residency you are in and what country?

thanks

It's on my profile, which should be visible.
but that's as far as I'll share about my personal life in a public forum.
For reasons outlined in the AMA guidelines on social media and the medical profession.
See page 7 in particular. I can't overstate how seriously this is taken. Also see here - professionalism guidelines. I already worry I'll be identifiable even by posting anonymously. It wouldn't take much.

I try to stick to general advice, that anyone of a similar background and experience could give. (There's no one saying you have to take it. You have to remember, it's your own life to lead and every individual will have their own take and own perspective). Otherwise, fire away if you have other questions or PM.

Last edited: