Career Choices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OkiSaki

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I worked as a ARNP covering the chemo infusion room for 5 years before I decided to go back to medical school. Yes, my wife supports me, but still thinks I'm crazy for going back to school. She thinks I'm even crazier for thinking of rad onc instead of heme onc for a couple of reasons.
a) The physics, planning, the technology is much more interesting. There is an art to the treatment. It's not just about dosing a drug. I went into heme onc out of school b/c there is a limited role for in rad onc vs heme onc for nurse practitioners, not because I was less interested in radonc at the time.
b) We have a young kid, with another on the way. You just can't beat the lifestyle of radonc. It is not about the money. A life on the other hand would be nice.
c) stupid, but applying once rather than twice. It is expensive, time consuming, exhaustive.
d) i want to stay in oncology, don't like surgery enough to do it as surg onc, but would get enough of it with radonc that I would be happy.

Some of my concerns

a) it is a small field - hard to find jobs where you want them. If I did heme onc- much wider geography.
b) inc in # of residency spots can mean inc difficulty finding positions. I heard from a couple of people that this past year was especially difficult because of the economy that we live in.
c) all my publications are in heme onc - not a single rad onc. My school does have a radonc program luckily but I am not sure I will have time to get much done before applications. Uphill battle explaining that i want to do radonc compared to someone with no clinical experience at all?
d) I am not at the top of my class, don't have a 250 on step 1, not AOA. I'm average(sigh). I worry that my application might not even be looked at.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey OkiSaki,

Sounds like you have pretty good insight to both the pros and cons of choosing radonc. I think your background will help you demonstrate a strong interest in oncology - and who wouldn't want a previous NP as a resident :thumbup:

As far as your concerns go - well, no one can predict the future as far as job security. I think you will always be able to find a job in this field - just may not be where you want to live, so it is definitely a consideration. But in the end, I'll take radonc in Boseman over hemonc in San Diego any day. Besides, your lifestyle will be such that you should be able to hop on a plane to visit family fairly regularly if you wish.

Best of luck. I'm always glad to see good people enter the field, and I think someone with your background would potentially be a great radiation oncologist.