Cardiothoracic Anesthesiology Fellowship 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheeseburgerandfry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A place for interview and program chatter. Fellowship to start 2018.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hoping to get some interviews in the next couple weeks. So far, only invite from Sinai.
How's everyone else doing

this thread is for CT anesthesia fellowship 2018?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
i have a couple of invites, after asking around it seems like its pretty quiet so far

Good luck to all this year, I went through the process last year and am happy to answer any questions here or via PM about various programs or questions. It is very, very early in the process and I can tell you the majority of programs will start to look at applications around the first of the year with interviews starting in early-to-mid February running through early May. Almost all programs invite applicants on a rolling basis so get those applications in ASAP if not already in.

There are a few others on here that also were successful in the match in past years who I'm sure would offer advice as well!

I have one interview scheduled for late march. Scheduled it late hoping this years ITE score will be back by then. I've had a lot of other programs ask for supplemental material. Its kind of annoying when they ask for a CV and personal statement. I mean what did I pay SFmatch 100$ for if I'm going to have to submit all my material again to each program. I had one program ask for my picture?...

I'd schedule it however it fits best in your schedule. You kind of have to use a post call day and vacation day for each interview. So if u can do consecutive interviews ... It's probably a better idea to save days & money. I don't think the ca2 ite help or hurt my application much. No one really seemed to ask about it except maybe a couple of programs. ... I would not schedule a late interview just for the ite results. They'll just email you for the results if they need them

I have one interview scheduled for late march. Scheduled it late hoping this years ITE score will be back by then. I've had a lot of other programs ask for supplemental material. Its kind of annoying when they ask for a CV and personal statement. I mean what did I pay SFmatch 100$ for if I'm going to have to submit all my material again to each program. I had one program ask for my picture?...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
For those of you that applied last year, what's a good number of interviews to go on? Which programs did you guys consider to be awesome?

For those of you that applied last year, what's a good number of interviews to go on? Which programs did you guys consider to be awesome?
I recommend applying to more than 10 programs. I applied to 10 and ended up with four interviews which was a bit of a surprise considering what my residency interview rate looked like. The short rank list definitely made it a bit nerve racking but luckily I matched at a top notch program.

I'd say you want 5-6 interviews, there's not exactly a million spots, I don't recall the match rate but it's not 100% by any means, and in general those applying are pretty top notch applicants.

With that said, go to a place that fits you. Not a place you think looks good on your CV (for some that will be what's best for them obviously). It's only a year, but during that year it's not lost on you that you could be working, one year closer to partner etc, if you're not happy where you go it will be a long year.

Last year's match was 77 percent. it was as competitive as chronic pain (75 percent). I applied to 25. Interviews from 10. Went to 8. But I agree with above poster. The applicant pool is full of type-a personalities.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any insight into applying to a Cardiac Anesthesia fellowship through the Canadian programs? More specifically:

1. How competitive are they?
2. What job prospects are there in the U.S. upon completing one?
3. Is it possible to still become TEE certified?

I ask because a 77% match rate seems much more competitive compared to a decade ago when I was a trainee. However, I know of several surgical colleagues who have completed various fellowships in Canada and have seemed to have had excellent training.

For those that went through the process last year, when were the bulk of your interview invites sent? Was it more in January or February? Did programs email rejections or they just simply just ignore the application ? Thanks

For those that went through the process last year, when were the bulk of your interview invites sent? Was it more in January or February? Did programs email rejections or they just simply just ignore the application ? Thanks

The bulk of mine came in late January through Feb, a couple more trickled in through early April as well. About half sent rejections and the other half literally sent nothing after the initial your application is complete notice.

This is hard to answer since some (like myself) had a lot of difficulty getting time off for interviews. I went on 7 interviews total and i felt like that was plenty - over 5 I think would be safe but it's through SF Match so no specific data is available on charting outcomes.

It sounds like 7-8 would be a reasonable number. My approach was to apply broadly. Then start turning down interviews after 7-8 offers. Then I kept the programs that seemed to offer good training and fit my interview schedule.

The bulk of mine came in late January through Feb, a couple more trickled in through early April as well. About half sent rejections and the other half literally sent nothing after the initial your application is complete notice.

This is hard to answer since some (like myself) had a lot of difficulty getting time off for interviews. I went on 7 interviews total and i felt like that was plenty - over 5 I think would be safe but it's through SF Match so no specific data is available on charting outcomes.

hey guys, is it me or it's been pretty quiet on your end as well?

Got an email from a program this week that said "You’ve applied via SF Match (or at least started to)" and then asked me to send a CV, deans letter, and med school transcript...I feel like a lot of programs are asking for supplemental documents not mentioned on the SF match application (ITE score reports, med school transcripts, Deans letters, USMLE transcripts). The only documents I submitted through SF were the application, a Personal statement, and my letters of rec. Is this normal or should I have sent all this stuff originally? Sending a CV in particular seems so redundant considering everything I had to write on the SF application.

Same here, I sent a bunch of supplemental documents about a month ago and I haven't heard anything back since.

Check the website of every program you applied to. Most of them have at least a few supplement documents/items that they request. Yes, it's annoying and redundant.

Yeah, it's obnoxious but each program that asked me for additional information contacted me via email with specifics as well. Some websites weren't up to date.

Be sure to have official reports from ITE, MSPE Deans Letter, copy of diploma, USMLE reports. Thankfully my residency program already had most of this stuff.

I've got interviews at UPenn, Duke, CC, and Wake so far...... anyone else got stuff rolling in?

Ive only heard back from 2/15 programs thus far... I think its still kind of early

So far Mt sinai, CC, NYU, Northwestern.

How do you guys plan to manage your "5 interview days" per the ABA? My interpretation of the board and my program guidelines is that we have 5 interview days per year. It's unclear if that is cumulative. I work every day M-F +/- weekend call so any interview I attend I'll be flying out after a shift and taking an interview day. I obviously want to attend more than five. This is both to see which one is a good fit and for match security. My attendings have told me that it's common to take sick days for fellowship interviews so that is not a concern, except that we are only allotted five per year per ABA. Any past or present fellows have any thoughts or sage advice?

I get 6 personal days off over 4 years from my program. I'm using those. Where did you see that rule about the 5 days ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

So far CC, mount sinai, cedar sinai, UCLA, NYU, Upenn, Texas heart, Maryland, Monte

So far Mt sinai, CC, NYU, Northwestern.

How do you guys plan to manage your "5 interview days" per the ABA? My interpretation of the board and my program guidelines is that we have 5 interview days per year. It's unclear if that is cumulative. I work every day M-F +/- weekend call so any interview I attend I'll be flying out after a shift and taking an interview day. I obviously want to attend more than five. This is both to see which one is a good fit and for match security. My attendings have told me that it's common to take sick days for fellowship interviews so that is not a concern, except that we are only allotted five per year per ABA. Any past or present fellows have any thoughts or sage advice?

I'm using some vacation time.

I got Duke, Mt Sinai, Cedars, Texas Heart, Emory

Unless the requirements have changed since I reviewed them last year, that's not how the ABA words things. I don't have the exact document with me, but it's more like - 3 weeks vacation per year, 5 meeting leave per year, 5 sick days (I think!). I think all of this is averaged over your clinical anesthesia time if memory serves.

It is more up to your program what they allow you to take. Many on the trail last year (including myself) had a rough go getting interview time off, but I met a couple people who went on a ton (>12 interviews) - my program would never have allowed that (and most don't).

Some (Emory I recall) have Saturday interviews that helps, but I got lucky personally and was able to switch around my ICU shifts to accommodate a few interviews without taking time off. I met several who saved a week of vacation to use for interviews.

I think most people use as many vacation days as they need to go on as many interviews as they desire. I'm not sure where this idea that you are due extra interview days off came from, if you want a fellowship you go on less true vacation your ca-2 year. That's the deal.

Reactions: 1 users
I think most people use as many vacation days as they need to go on as many interviews as they desire. I'm not sure where this idea that you are due extra interview days off came from, if you want a fellowship you go on less true vacation your ca-2 year. That's the deal.
The ABA allows 3 days of interview time during residency that doesn't count as "time away" from the program.

So I perseverated a while on whether or not to do cardiac after CCM and am no a little late to the game. Everything is in, just waiting on SFmatch to upload my letters that were sent in last week. My question is: did you all wait for programs to ask for supplemental information or did you go ahead and send it straight away?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

So I perseverated a while on whether or not to do cardiac after CCM and am no a little late to the game. Everything is in, just waiting on SFmatch to upload my letters that were sent in last week. My question is: did you all wait for programs to ask for supplemental information or did you go ahead and send it straight away?

Both. Some programs have it on their website- those you can get in right away. Some will ask for it later

Did you match to CCM last year? What about calling up your future PD, telling him/her your plans, and seeing if the CT PD there would be willing to interview you and sign out of the match?

Reactions: 1 users
Did you match to CCM last year? What about calling up your future PD, telling him/her your plans, and seeing if the CT PD there would be willing to interview you and sign out of the match?

So that is my back up plan, already discussed and told it would work. But, I will have then done med school, residency, ccm, and cards all at the same place... looking to at least interview other places!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Any of the current or former fellows care to share their interview experiences? Format, types of questions, things you would do differently? Things you wish you had known?

Any of the current or former fellows care to share their interview experiences? Format, types of questions, things you would do differently? Things you wish you had known?

I would also love to hear from former/current fellows - any advice on preparing for interviews?

Rejection from U Chicago here, and an invite from Michigan. Some other programs have written asking for supplemental information though I don't know if this is an automatic thing or not?

I would also love to hear from former/current fellows - any advice on preparing for interviews?

It's really a standard interview. To me, it was like a residency interview. But it definitely felt more relaxed. Very low key. It was more of "finding a mutual good fit" kind of thing

Talking points:
Residency experience, research, interest in cardiac, career goals.

Rejection from U Chicago here, and an invite from Michigan. Some other programs have written asking for supplemental information though I don't know if this is an automatic thing or not?

Seemed like everywhere I asked they asked for supplemental info. So from my guess, I think it's automatic?

Ah. Is Michigan interviewing trainees from outside institutions now? That's nice.

In 2013, I matched for CCM at Michigan, told them I was committed to the area because my wife was completing a 3 year fellowship there, and when I *begged* to be considered for a spot there in 2014, they told me "good luck with your cardiac fellowship search". So as to stay close to wifey, and still do CT, I had to slum it at a little heart hospital in Cleveland. Sigh. Was later told that "selecting Michigan residents for Michigan CT fellowship was the reward for having trained at Michigan", or something like that...

That said, Michigan would be a great place to train for CT fellowship. Ton of VADs, open aortic work, lots and lots and lots of multivalve work. Great teachers, and a true commitment to education. A couple of the surgeons are actually pretty friendly - will get to know your name and where your from & your interests. The health system is phenomenal, and the department is very, very well respected and healthy financially. If you make an effort, you can surely get stuff published during your year there. And a VERY nice lifestyle, from what I remember.

Good luck to all! I think cardiac is a great choice in fellowship.

Hi all, I'm new to this but could use some advice. I live in the East coast. I got an offer from UCSD but am holding out for Stanford so I can make the trip once. I'm applying only for CT and I hear Stanford mostly give their spots to combined CCM-Cardiac. UCSD already emailed me twice and I'm afraid they'll lose interest if I keep dodging them. So far my list is Duke, Cleveland, Baylor, Hopkins, Maryland, UPenn, Temple, Rutgers, Cornell, Sinai, Columbia. What would you consider safe programs? Thanks in advance!

Hi all, I'm new to this but could use some advice. I live in the East coast. I got an offer from UCSD but am holding out for Stanford so I can make the trip once. I'm applying only for CT and I hear Stanford mostly give their spots to combined CCM-Cardiac. UCSD already emailed me twice and I'm afraid they'll lose interest if I keep dodging them. So far my list is Duke, Cleveland, Baylor, Hopkins, Maryland, UPenn, Temple, Rutgers, Cornell, Sinai, Columbia. What would you consider safe programs? Thanks in advance!

I would respond to UCSD now. Hopefully Stanford has open dates. Or you can maybe request a change of dates later.

Clarify what you mean by safe.

I am a US M.D. at a top 1/3rd program, applied to 18 programs and have only heard back from 3. 1 is a rejection and 1 is my home program. CA-1 ITE score is 50% percentile, USMLE scores >80% percentile. I received solid feedback from my letter writers, no red flags in my app. Is it too early to start worrying about the lack of interviews?

I am a US M.D. at a top 1/3rd program, applied to 18 programs and have only heard back from 3. 1 is a rejection and 1 is my home program. CA-1 ITE score is 50% percentile, USMLE scores >80% percentile. I received solid feedback from my letter writers, no red flags in my app. Is it too early to start worrying about the lack of interviews?

I'd send emails to the programs you'd really like to interview at, be specific and knowledgeable in your reasoning. Hopefully you nailed your recent ITE and if you improve I'd send that score to programs, again with an email indicating how much you'd like to be considered. 1 program out of 18 (not counting your home institution) sounds low but it is still a little early, however I'd start ramping up my effort to obtain some more interviews.

I'd send emails to the programs you'd really like to interview at, be specific and knowledgeable in your reasoning. Hopefully you nailed your recent ITE and if you improve I'd send that score to programs, again with an email indicating how much you'd like to be considered. 1 program out of 18 (not counting your home institution) sounds low but it is still a little early, however I'd start ramping up my effort to obtain some more interviews.

Ditto .... It is probably about time to start getting interviews. I think I have about half of my interviews this time last year. I think the biggest thing is your ite score. I'd email out your recent ite whenever the score comes out. The only other possibility is someone writing something in your letters of rec that they didn't tell you about. I'd suggest to email programs expressing interest like mentioned above.

Haven't heard from any programs in a long time. Any previous applicants from last year got invites in March?