Cardiothoracic Anesthesiology Fellowship 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I haven't heard from anywhere in like 2 weeks. Last year I know people got several interviews in march.

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't heard from anywhere in like 2 weeks. Last year I know people got several interviews in march.

Last year only one offer for me after March. I think the program was slightly disorganized last year .. Their interview offer required an interview the very next week. Interview dates were one week after the invite. And coordinator was pretty slow response to my emails. I met some applicants from that program. They confirmed that the program had a new coordinator or something. So I turned down the invite. But otherwise all of my offers were in place before March.

Last edited:
So I applied late (~Feb 1st) and broadly though have only heard from two programs. I know people have mentioned emailing key programs that I'd be especially interested in. I was wondering if anyone has done this and been successful at getting an interview and also what exactly do you say when you contact them?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I got a few (2-4?) interview invites throughout March. By that time I had used up most of my leave so I only accepted one, so don't be surprised if a few trickle in.

I would respond to UCSD now. Hopefully Stanford has open dates. Or you can maybe request a change of dates later.

Clarify what you mean by safe.
Sorry. By safe I mean mid range places that are not as competitive. I just got Stanford! but I may have ruin my chances with UCSD by changing the date too many times.

Anyone know about Hopkins program? I hear through the grapevines that they are losing a few of their CT surgeons. I'm not sure how that affects the fellowship program though.

Sorry. By safe I mean mid range places that are not as competitive. I just got Stanford! but I may have ruin my chances with UCSD by changing the date too many times.

I'm sure it's fine. And no one really cares that you have to change your date. It's not like you're the only candidate they're interviewing. They shouldn't expect that they are your only program. I'm sure they probably won't even remember the date changes when you interview.

Re safe programs .. I would say from your list .. Duke, Cleveland, Baylor, Hopkins, Maryland, UPenn, Temple, Rutgers, Cornell, Sinai, Columbia. ..... Rutgers, Maryland, Temple are less competitive. Unless you absolutely know beyond a shadow of a doubt you want to do cardiac anesthesia, I would stick to areas where you're wanting to settle down or the very well known programs. You're giving up a lot of vacation and future salary to do a fellowship.

Last edited:
Anyone hear from Stanford? Heard about some recent changes there...wondering if anyone has insight.

I'm going there end of April. What recent changes have you heard?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

New PD in the last 6 months. Hiring CRNAs were in the work because volume is ever expanding.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone went to Cleveland clinic for interview? What do they ask? It's a 20 min interview x 5 people. Can't imagine talking for that long...

I'm curious about that in general. What do they ask at these interviews? (I didn't really interview for CCM since it was an out of match spot at my home program)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I'm interviewing for CCM and I've had places with 5 interviews. It's mostly "what questions do you have for us" but some interviewers will ask you about why their program, discuss a difficult case, where do you see yourself in 5 years, etc

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

This seems obvious, but be ready to discuss your application. Including any research or case reports you've presented, it's an easy question and for the interviewer it becomes pretty apparent if you were invested/involved or just a peripheral part of it.

Almost all of my interviews all over were very laid back, conversational. The where do you see yourself in 5-10 years is super common, Come with questions about the program as well - we had a couple residency applicants this year who didn't have any and it can come across as a total lack of interest.

For those that matched last year, what would you say are the most important aspects of an application to get an interview? Research? Letters? Step scores (please no)? ITE?

I would say getting a good relationship with letter writers would be helpful. Also, a good ite score would be helpful. Although they did seem to care about research more at the interview. So I guess everything in your application?

How much do USLME step scores matter?

Anyone interviewed or know about UPenn program? I've heard from multiple people that the residency is malignant (residents are treated as work horse) and usually that would be replicated in fellowship. During the interview however, the schedule and faculty seemed to be on the jovial/lighter side. A red flag is that I only met with a couple of the fellows and couldn't seem to get a straight answer from them about scheduling. One of them also kept saying that he'd come and do extra things during post call and non clinical days. What are y'all experiences? Anyone went to fellowship there?

I am not from Penn but did interview there. I also felt the faculty on the interview day were relatively chill compared to those at other programs. I think the residents take the brunt of the workload which allows the fellows to be more selective in cases. With regards to the "red flag" you mention, I think that one particular fellow decided to come in to maximize his educational time on post call days. I don't think it was a result of the program requiring the fellows to come in since the others didn't seem to do that, but I could be wrong. Overall, I felt the program was pretty strong given its impressive case load and faculty.

everyone pretty much done interviewing?

I liked THI as well. It seemed very solid for clinic experience and Houston's a pretty nice city to spend a year in. I'm wondering what your guy's thoughts are on Cedar's? I really liked it there as well and I'm thinking it might be a good way to get a solid job in California. At least, judging by the contacts the chair seems to have.

I liked THI as well. It seemed very solid for clinic experience and Houston's a pretty nice city to spend a year in. I'm wondering what your guy's thoughts are on Cedar's? I really liked it there as well and I'm thinking it might be a good way to get a solid job in California. At least, judging by the contacts the chair seems to have.

It is if that's what you want.

Interview season looks like it's finally over. Is anyone posting their rank lists? I'm really curious to see how people are ranking various programs. Also, did anyone go to upmc and how did they like it?

We have some THI graduates in our group and just interviewed a recent THI graduate.

Seems like it's still a super solid program. It's purely a heart hospital, so you might get a little rusty on regional and peds... but if you went to a good residency that taught you these subspecialties you should be good.

Reactions: 1 user
Interview season looks like it's finally over. Is anyone posting their rank lists? I'm really curious to see how people are ranking various programs. Also, did anyone go to upmc and how did they like it?

I'll show you mine if you show me yours

Does anyone know the actual time on Monday that match results will be released?

Early congrats to all of y'all for the match.

Any advice you could give to an incoming CA-2 from a mid range program with 70%tile ITE score that will be in your shoes in a year?

So if you don't get an email then how do you find out? Have to log into your account on SF match?

Match results are out! Happy to have matched at a good program