Capacity Consults

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prominence

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have never done one before. Any suggestions, recommended resources or articles/papers or algorithims on how to approach a capacity consultation request?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

The classic reference is:

Appelbaum PS, Grisso T. Assessing patients' capacities to consent to treatment. N Engl J Med. 1988 Dec 22;319(25):1635-8

The chapter on "Legal aspects of consultation" in the MGH Handbook of General Hospital Psychiatry is also very high yield.

There's also a more recent article by Appelbaum in the NEJM:

Appelbaum PS, Assessment of Patients' Competence to Consent to Treatment. NEJM 2007, Nov 1; 357(18):1834-1840.

Members don't see this ad :)
In most settings/jurisdictions, the consulting psychiatrist can provide information and opinion about the capacity to make medical decisions, but, in general, it is up to the physician proposing the medical intervention (i.e. the Primary Team) to make the decision about whether the patient is competent to make the decision at hand.
Some of the attachments below may be helpful.

Some things to remember:

- Disagreement with the physician (alone) is never proof of incapacity to make medical decisions.

- "Competence" is a legal decision, sometimes regarding one single medical decision, sometimes more inclusive, sometimes all-inclusive. Be SURE you know the limits of any legal incompetence decision and never be afraid to ask the hospital/agency risk management lawyer for clarification - on a daily basis if needed. A physician generally does NOT have the expertise to navigate these tricky waters.

- When in doubt, find an appropriate surrogate decision-maker. Courts take a dim view of physicians who seem to jump at the chance to make the decision for the patient. DOCUMENT your efforts to find a surrogate. Never hesitate to wake up your risk mgt lawyer for advice about your legal standing - a 5 min conversation can save them months of legal battles. Few medical decisions outside the trauma room cannot wait 5 min to at least TRY to find a surrogate decision-maker

- One of the best legal defenses is to provide excellent medical care at the level of the community standard - and DOCUMENT your reasoning (YOUR decision-making process) and anyone with whom you consulted about what would be the best care. It's not that you're trying to spread the blame; you are trying to show that you considered that there might be alternatives and you sought out others' thoughts on the matter.

- A Psych Hold ("5150" in California) does NOT constitute incapacity to make any medical decision, including psych meds (in most cases)
- There is no "2 doctor rule" giving doctors the ability to override the pt's decision if 2 doctors agree it is in the pt's best interest.
- In most states, there are separate rules about providing psychiatric treatments against pt's will as compared to "medical" interventions.
- Capacity is not "all or none." A given pt may have the capacity to decide whether to accept narcotic pain meds but may NOT have capacity to decide whether to do lumpectomy vs mastectomy.
- The setting does not change the capacity rules. It is NOT true that "you can force-feed pt's via tube on the medicine floor but not on psychiatry," or that "a patient can only be held against his will on the psych floor, not on the med/surg ward," or that "the rules about restraint/seclusion only apply to patients on the psych ward."

In most settings/jurisdictions, the consulting psychiatrist can provide information and opinion about the capacity to make medical decisions, but, in general, it is up to the physician proposing the medical intervention (i.e. the Primary Team) to make the decision about whether the patient is competent to make the decision at hand.
Some of the attachments below may be helpful.

And, of course, my inappropriate use of the term "competent to make the decision at hand" was a TEST to see if you recognized that I should have written "has the capacity to make the medical decision at hand."

Pretty sneaky of me. heh heh heh

The classic reference is:

Appelbaum PS, Grisso T. Assessing patients' capacities to consent to treatment. N Engl J Med. 1988 Dec 22;319(25):1635-8

can anyone post the full text of this? my schools library doesnt go back that far

Here's a tip: be sure and hedge and be a little ambiguous.

For example, you are asked to see a delirious and demented elderly man hospitalized for pneumonia- his family wants him to go to a nursing home but he wants to go back home upon discharge. This is a typical consult I would get when I was a consult attending. Typically I would say something like "Mr. X currently lacks the capacity to make decisions regarding his living situation. His cognitive abilities may improve with resolution of his delirium and his capacity to make decisions about his living situation should be reevaluated within 30 days."

Here's a tip: be sure and hedge and be a little ambiguous.

For example, you are asked to see a delirious and demented elderly man hospitalized for pneumonia- his family wants him to go to a nursing home but he wants to go back home upon discharge. This is a typical consult I would get when I was a consult attending. Typically I would say something like "Mr. X currently lacks the capacity to make decisions regarding his living situation. His cognitive abilities may improve with resolution of his delirium and his capacity to make decisions about his living situation should be reevaluated within 30 days."

That is why it is important to say ".....at this time".

That is why it is important to say ".....at this time".

Good point.

I took real consults ("please determine if this 77 yo lady with dementia has the capacity to consent to hip surgery") seriously and tried to be helpful to the requesting team.

What I really hated was the capacity consults for issues that didn't need to be decided immediately, because the family didn't want to pay for an outpt psychiatrist. There is rarely the need for an academic psychiatrist who's getting paid crap to decide if an elderly patient in the hospital for pneumonia can make financial decisions, because the family is concerned the patient has been careless with checks recently.

I guess it's good that I got out of academics, I was tired of working like a slave so the chairman could look good to his superiors (sorry to go off on a tangent like this).