Capacity evaluation for Covid Deniers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
. It is entirely possible that a non-demented, non-delirious person without a psychiatric illness nonetheless lacks capacity for a particular decision based on their inability to understand and rationally appraise the relevant information. That is what is happening here.

I don't know that I disagree with you, but unless there is a silent "...or medical illness..." you are sticking in there, this gets into some dangerous territory. If the incapacity does not stem from a psychiatric or medical illness, why pray tell should physicians have anything to say about it? What exactly is it that would qualify a physician to make a judgement about the reasons someone does something when they are not in fact linked to a clinical dysfunction of some kind? What would give them more of a right to do this than, say, an attorney or a priest or a telemarketer?

EDIT: if the answer is simply, "the law", okay, but the substantive question still remains.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know that I disagree with you, but unless there is a silent "...or medical illness..." you are sticking in there, this gets into some dangerous territory. If the incapacity does not stem from a psychiatric or medical illness, why pray tell should physicians have anything to say about it? What exactly is it that would qualify a physician to make a judgement about the reasons someone does something when they are not in fact linked to a clinical dysfunction of some kind? What would give them more of a right to do this than, say, an attorney or a priest or a telemarketer?

EDIT: if the answer is simply, "the law", okay, but the substantive question still remains.

This was my thought process, I think it becomes a slippery slope. I think at least at a minimum a family meeting where members of the family are on board with the treatment plan would further substantiate the plan if you end up treating the patient, ethics board, etc something to show that due diligence is done.

Autonomy is such an important aspect that if you force treatment there has to be strong documentation why; it has to be quite clear that something supersedes their autonomy.

Also im getting the concept of, the ABILITY to understand, and choosing NOT TO UNDERSTAND. Perhaps they fully understand the situation, can weigh the pros/cons, etc but its their choice not to get treatment because of some trump/covid thing.

All the time we have patients who make poor decisions clinically and have been explained their decision is poor, they choose to not to attempt to understand our reasoning, because its simply easier to have comfort in ignorant bliss. They still may have capability to understand. I think a big part of it comes down to that- do they understand, if not what is preventing them from understanding, and is this willful ignorance where the data being presented is able to be understood, and its a choice to not care regardless because they are so ingrained in this qanon crap.

Assuming this person is working, functioning as a normal adult, etc I would assume they have at least average intelligence, meaning they likely have the capability of understanding facts, it may just be a choice to not care about those facts.

I've had psychotic patients demonstrate more capacity than this.

Does she understand the nature and severity of the illness, regardless of etiology? Is she even willing to entertain the risks and benefits of receiving treatment or not?

If she is unwilling to discuss this because of her personal beliefs then you presume they don't have capacity because they're not demonstrating it. She's allowed to believe COVID is fake, but not being able to vocalize that she could die without intervention or believe she is critically ill (if she was) requiring treatment despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary is pretty much the definition of "lacks capacity".

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

If someone is refusing to engage with you in a capacity evaluation, and you don't have evidence that they have a mental illness or even organic illness that is clouding their judgement and underlining such refusal, would you say they have capacity? I'm using this argument because I think there's a limit to the 'must have a psychiatric/medical illness..etc"

Also, what we consider pathology in psychiatry is such a nebulous concept to start with. We might get stuck in a circular argument here. If someone is incapable of demonstrating that they understand the risks or rationally manipulate the information, is this normal, non pathological behavior? Someone who is using widespread but clearly irrational and factually wrong information about covid to deny they have a serious illness, is this non pathological? Why is it not a delusion?

I feel in cases where it's very hazy and unclear, you can run your own risk-benefit analysis of the situation and perhaps one should err on the safe side and save the person's life.

Reactions: 1 users
I've had psychotic patients demonstrate more capacity than this.

Does she understand the nature and severity of the illness, regardless of etiology? Is she even willing to entertain the risks and benefits of receiving treatment or not?

If she is unwilling to discuss this because of her personal beliefs then you presume they don't have capacity because they're not demonstrating it. She's allowed to believe COVID is fake, but not being able to vocalize that she could die without intervention or believe she is critically ill (if she was) requiring treatment despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary is pretty much the definition of "lacks capacity".

I think that is the biggest reason she probably lacks capacity, she understands shes sick and that she has a disease but she doesnt understand the severity and potential consequences of refusing treatment. I was at work and didnt notice that part where she didnt understand the the potential consequences of not getting treatment, I just noticed that she understood she had covid but thought that covid was a conspiracy. Which could be due to a lack of intelligence.

I think if she understood the consequences of refusal of treatment, and just didnt care/was willing to risk it because of her beliefs towards trump/whatever, then it would be a bit different.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user

I think this is where capacity evaluations start to become similar to involuntary hospitalization for suicidal ideation (or homicidal ideation to get into an even more sticky subject). Since medical capacity is the basis of informed consent, it ends up being interpreted through the legal system as well (again similar to involuntary holds). All of these are legal definitions that psychiatrists end up getting involved in because, well, "the law" (actually physicians in general end up getting tangled up in these things for some reason in most states based on the legal wording).

If you have suicidal ideation, do you necessarily have a psychiatric illness? Many people would argue no, those are not equivalent things, there are perfectly rational people who would develop suicidal ideation or commit suicide but otherwise be completely cognitively intact. Yet we deprive people of their liberty and autonomy by locking them up involuntarily all the time for this. We could think of someone with no history of mental illness who learns he was being fired that day at work for poor performance, has no savings and no prospect for employment in the near future but knows he has a million dollar life insurance policy that will pay out if he dies. To this person, it may actually seem like a perfectly rational choice to commit suicide, yet if we found him on the bridge about to jump, he would certainly meet involuntary hospitalization criteria in most states...I'd say all states but I'm not familiar with hospitalization criteria in all 50 states.

I'm sure we could all say he has an "adjustment disorder" or something dumb to say he has a "psychiatric condition" but why could we not say the same thing when, for instance, a case arises where someone doesn't believe that they're critically ill despite desatting to the 70s off of O2 and can't even pull themselves out of bed (of course assuming this isn't their baseline), especially in a case where they had been generally compliant with the medical establishment prior to this? Would we consider this to be the thought process of a rational person? Could we also not just slap a diagnosis of "adjustment disorder" on her if we really want to say it stems from a psychiatric or cognitive "illness" of some sort? Which is why I mentioned before whether we consider the COVID denying thing to be a delusion may or may not actually matter here.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Also, all physicians should be able to assess for medical capacity. It is not the singular domain of psychiatry, so most capacity consults are nonsense because the primary team merely wants psychiatry to convince the patient to comply with the treatment plan or for psychiatry to rubber stamp the team's decision to let the patient leave AMA and assume liability.
Bingo

Reactions: 2 users

Fundamentally, the idea that you have to have capacity to make medical decisions is predicated on the principle that allowing people to make decisions they don’t understand or can’t reason about subjects them to poor outcomes that are contrary to their interests such that, had they been able to understand the situation and act rationally, they would have acted to avoid.

I’m not convinced that the etiology of an individual’s deficits in these domains modifies the ethical principle at play here. You’re operating under the same axiom whether the person is schizophrenic, intellectually disabled, demented, or beholden to a culturally promoted conspiracy theory. People incapable of understanding their circumstances and behaving rationally are to be protected from their own lack of understanding and irrationality.

It’s not like the principle we are operating under is that “people should be protected from their own irrational medical decisions if they are intellectually disabled” or “if they are mentally ill,” etc. The principle is that people should be protected from their irrational decisions if they are incapable of making rational decisions based in material facts. The reason capacity is agnostic to cause is because deficits in the domains outlined by capacity are themselves sufficient to justify protecting an individual from the negative consequences of their decisions, regardless of cause.

The reason doctors make decisions about capacity for medical decisions is not because incapacity requires a medical diagnosis, but because they are medical decisions. Who else do you propose should decide whether someone has capacity for a medical decision?

Last edited:
COVID completely aside, I don't get the amount of energy put into issues like this. I always ask consulting teams when a patient is verbalizing disagreement with their plan...what difference is it going to make if I say they don't have capacity? Are you going to tie them down and force this intervention on them? Are you going to have security tackle them? Anesthetize them forcibly? Is them fighting constant physical restraint safer than letting the person go AMA? If not...how exactly can psych help? If the patient actively refuses assent to a procedure and you aren't willing to risk physical injury to the patient and other staff to get it done, what difference does it make if they can or can't consent? In this case, I can't imagine the risk of the patient getting hurt or hurting others could possibly outweigh the benefit unless they are in the act of dying, in which case they don't really need psych as the patient won't be arguing.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 8 users
COVID completely aside, I don't get the amount of energy put into issues like this. I always ask consulting teams when a patient is verbalizing disagreement with their plan...what difference is it going to make if I say they don't have capacity? Are you going to tie them down and force this intervention on them? Are you going to have security tackle them? Anesthetize them forcibly?

Ummm yes? I mean, not exactly like that, it's way more complicated and involves other factors, but yah, pretty much. When a person is deemed not to have capacity, a substitute decision maker is then necessary and in some cases, they will get the treatment they need. Have you never seen this or heard of this happening?

Eating disorder cases can be heartbreaking for this reason, however they turn out.

Eating disorders have the benefit of being a clear DSM diagnosable condition, unlike an infected foot they want to cut off or COVID. Eating disorders allow you to even conserve someone as it's relatively clear grave disability in relation to food. It's a much clearer psych thing than most of what medicine or surgery wants capacity assessments for. And yes, I agree, they are tragic.

While I agree with most of your post, I think the above is unfair. I wasn't at the hospital on Saturday but I didn't get the sense that the team affect was leading to desire to punish the patient out of frustration or anything of the sort. I think there was genuine concern that if this individual did not believe in conspiracy theories, they would opt for care. This was a change from baseline in terms of their view toward healthcare professionals. So the question became as others on this thread have mentioned, are delusions such these where it's illogical and there's more than ample evidence it's untrue, a mental illness? And if yes, is it inhibiting her ability to grasp the seriousness of her condition?

Again though, I agree with your overall point. Autonomy is important and in someone with no other mental health issue, it'd be difficult to make the case she doesn't have capacity. I don't know the answer to the other questions you asked and given that the patient was sent home, I'm not inclined to ask my colleague at this point as the case was upsetting for everyone involved.
I'm glad to hear it wasn't the case. I don't think it was exactly "unfair" to guess that a type of interaction I saw play out over and over and over on CL might have been happening. My guess was, according to what you heard about the case, wrong and that's a good thing.

Eating disorders have the benefit of being a clear DSM diagnosable condition, unlike an infected foot they want to cut off or COVID. Eating disorders allow you to even conserve someone as it's relatively clear grave disability in relation to food. It's a much clearer psych thing than most of what medicine or surgery wants capacity assessments for. And yes, I agree, they are tragic.

That wasn't the point. The point was that they do keep people against their will for medical reasons. They do procedures, if necessary, against someone's will if the person does not have capacity to make decisions for themselves. ED was just an example.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm glad to hear it wasn't the case. I don't think it was exactly "unfair" to guess that a type of interaction I saw play out over and over and over on CL might have been happening. My guess was, according to what you heard about the case, wrong and that's a good thing.

That does make me curious about where you did CL where punishing patients for the team's frustration was something that happened repeatedly. That's an awful way to run any service. I haven't seen it happen where I am thankfully.

That does make me curious about where you did CL where punishing patients for the team's frustration was something that happened repeatedly. That's an awful way to run any service. I haven't seen it happen where I am thankfully.
It's not like it was the norm or something but the multiple examples are memorable. Many of the "this borderline always severely decompensates when (medically) hospitalized" consults have a significant team dynamics component (not appropriately metabolizing the projective identification.)

What if the Waldorf school people were to take over the world and I found myself hospitalized at a anthroposophical hospital and told I had chronic Lyme and need treatment (probably diluted tick extract and foxglove). Do I lack capacity if I declare that I do not believe chronic Lyme is a legitimate disease (as is the majority belief) and I am not concerned about my health and want to leave? Or should they respect my autonomy despite my obvious delusion.

What if the Waldorf school people were to take over the world and I found myself hospitalized at a anthroposophical hospital and told I had chronic Lyme and need treatment (probably diluted tick extract and foxglove). Do I lack capacity if I declare that I do not believe chronic Lyme is a legitimate disease (as is the majority belief) and I am not concerned about my health and want to leave? Or should they respect my autonomy despite my obvious delusion.

Is there objective evidence that this treatment works and that your health would be at severe immediate risk if you did not receive treatment? Cause, ya know, objective reality does actually matter. Otherwise we can all come up with bizarre hypotheticals all day long.

• Care
If there were objective signs, yes, your capacity would be called into question if you refused treatment on the grounds of not believing you were ill.

I’m not convinced that the etiology of an individual’s deficits in these domains modifies the ethical principle at play here. You’re operating under the same axiom whether the person is schizophrenic, intellectually disabled, demented, or beholden to a culturally promoted conspiracy theory. People incapable of understanding their circumstances and behaving rationally are to be protected from their own lack of understanding and irrationality.

I think the etiology is crucial, actually. If "incapable of understanding their circumstances" cashes out to "seems to be impervious to the things that I think ought to be convincing" then I don't see any principled reason why we would allow Christian Scientists or Jehovah's Witnesses or Greek Orthodox people to object to the various procedures they have theological reasons to object to when they seem urgently and medically necessary. If we say religion is a different category of entity than mental disorder of some kind, then we can salvage the intuition that perhaps these people can make the choices according to their faith.

It’s not like the principle we are operating under is that “people should be protected from their own irrational medical decisions if they are intellectually disabled” or “if they are mentally ill,” etc. The principle is that people should be protected from their irrational decisions if they are incapable of making rational decisions based in material facts. The reason capacity is agnostic to cause is because deficits in the domains outlined by capacity are themselves sufficient to justify protecting an individual from the negative consequences of their decisions, regardless of cause.

Deficits that are demonstrated by the failure of the person in question to weight the relevant factors in the way that strikes the examiner as rational from their perspective? Again, if there is some sort of recognized pathological or disordered state interfering with how they might choose were it otherwise, this is not necessarily circular. But if we are to the point of "there's nothing clearly the matter with you that is recognized by biomedical science, but your decision is stupid and makes no sense to me" being adequate all on its own, we are in some very dicey territory indeed.

The reason doctors make decisions about capacity for medical decisions is not because incapacity requires a medical diagnosis, but because they are medical decisions. Who else do you propose should decide whether someone has capacity for a medical decision?

The decision being a medical one explains why the primary teams have some role in the process, as they are the ones who putatively can provide the relevant information to the patient that would allow them to make a decision in line with their goals and values. I don't know that it follows that they are the ones who can determine whether or not the person in question is making the decision "rationally", if there is no question of a psychiatric or medical illness impairing their ability to appreciate reality, any more than I think a plumber should have a legally defined role in determining whether I am making a rational choice regarding a home improvement project for my own home. The information and counsel they provide is of course something any rational actor would want to have, but exactly how much to weight it and how to trade it off against other values or priorities is not something that medical training offers any particular insight into. And if there is no psychiatric disorder or medical illness impairing cognition, why exactly should psychiatrists be involved in the process?

I accept, as an aside, the premise someone raised upthread regarding the murky separation between mental disorders and normal human behavior and you will find few critics of the reification of DSM diagnoses more dedicated than I but at the end of the day if we are to operate as physicians it is part of the societal contract that we are to treat the things that we can argue are more like pathology and not claim special expertise over the things that are less like pathology. Housing status and unemployment can have serious negative impacts on people but physicians should not claim any special expertise in making economic policy decisions just because they have MDs or completed a residency.

I think the etiology is crucial, actually. If "incapable of understanding their circumstances" cashes out to "seems to be impervious to the things that I think ought to be convincing" then I don't see any principled reason why we would allow Christian Scientists or Jehovah's Witnesses or Greek Orthodox people to object to the various procedures they have theological reasons to object to when they seem urgently and medically necessary. If we say religion is a different category of entity than mental disorder of some kind, then we can salvage the intuition that perhaps these people can make the choices according to their faith.
The difference here is that, presumably, a Jehovah’s Witness might be able to say “I understand that I have X condition and that the medically appropriate treatment is Y.” They could say “I understand that I will die without this transfusion, but I am committed to my faith which prohibits it.” This is different to saying “I don’t believe that it is possible to hemorrhage to death because religion.” The latter involves a fundamental lack of understanding about one’s medical circumstances, and I think that someone saying this that lacks capacity. Maybe they would still refuse the transfusion even if they understood they could die from blood loss. But, in that case, a surrogate decision maker needs to make that decision.
Deficits that are demonstrated by the failure of the person in question to weight the relevant factors in the way that strikes the examiner as rational from their perspective? Again, if there is some sort of recognized pathological or disordered state interfering with how they might choose were it otherwise, this is not necessarily circular. But if we are to the point of "there's nothing clearly the matter with you that is recognized by biomedical science, but your decision is stupid and makes no sense to me" being adequate all on its own, we are in some very dicey territory indeed.
There is a difference between irrational and stupid. There are many stupid decisions that are nonetheless rational. The key is that you have to be able to demonstrate a rational thought process that links your beliefs to your decisions. I don’t have to agree with that decision, but it should be understandable. You can also have all sorts of demonstrably incorrect beliefs, but they can’t be beliefs that fundamentally impair your ability to understand your factual circumstances. If you believe that a procedure with an actual 90% chance of benefit and a 10% chance of harm has a 10% chance of benefit and a 90% chance of harm, you don’t have capacity for that decision because you fundamentally don’t understand the procedure. It doesn’t really matter if you don’t understand because you have an exceptionally stubborn temperament, you’re psychotic, or you’re delirious. If you’re making a harmful decision because you’re fundamentally unable to understand the decision, you’re supposed to be protected from harming yourself in ways you don’t understand.
The decision being a medical one explains why the primary teams have some role in the process, as they are the ones who putatively can provide the relevant information to the patient that would allow them to make a decision in line with their goals and values. I don't know that it follows that they are the ones who can determine whether or not the person in question is making the decision "rationally", if there is no question of a psychiatric or medical illness impairing their ability to appreciate reality, any more than I think a plumber should have a legally defined role in determining whether I am making a rational choice regarding a home improvement project for my own home. The information and counsel they provide is of course something any rational actor would want to have, but exactly how much to weight it and how to trade it off against other values or priorities is not something that medical training offers any particular insight into. And if there is no psychiatric disorder or medical illness impairing cognition, why exactly should psychiatrists be involved in the process?
I’m not sure psychiatry should be uniquely involved. On the other hand, who exactly do you propose should evaluate rationality in these circumstances if not doctors?

The difference here is that, presumably, a Jehovah’s Witness might be able to say “I understand that I have X condition and that the medically appropriate treatment is Y.” They could say “I understand that I will die without this transfusion, but I am committed to my faith which prohibits it.” This is different to saying “I don’t believe that it is possible to hemorrhage to death because religion.” The latter involves a fundamental lack of understanding about one’s medical circumstances, and I think that someone saying this that lacks capacity. Maybe they would still refuse the transfusion even if they understood they could die from blood loss. But, in that case, a surrogate decision maker needs to make that decision.

And if they say they can't die because God will protect them, and appear to mean it?

How about Christian Scientists? They might very well reject the premise that disease is even real and contend that it is all a spiritual malady mostly requiring more prayer, which they can do very well at home, thank you.

How about the "candida overgrowth" people who will insist their breathing problems are an excess of candida and that all they need now is to change their diet to eat less bread and maybe take an IV antifungal?

There is a difference between irrational and stupid. There are many stupid decisions that are nonetheless rational. The key is that you have to be able to demonstrate a rational thought process that links your beliefs to your decisions. I don’t have to agree with that decision, but it should be understandable.

'Rational' and 'understandable' are doing a lot of heavy lifting here.

You can also have all sorts of demonstrably incorrect beliefs, but they can’t be beliefs that fundamentally impair your ability to understand your factual circumstances. If you believe that a procedure with an actual 90% chance of benefit and a 10% chance of harm has a 10% chance of benefit and a 90% chance of harm, you don’t have capacity for that decision because you fundamentally don’t understand the procedure.

'I'm never going on insulin for my diabetes because my uncle went on the insulin and lost his eye and leg.' The patient does not engage further on this point and resists all attempts at education. Do they have capacity to refuse insulin?

Refusing emergent C-sections because of an unshakeable belief in the utter safety of 'natural' births and the conviction that surgeons are evil butchers who delight in mutilating defenseless women for no reason. That's a slight exaggeration, but I have met people for whom it would not be much of one.

It doesn’t really matter if you don’t understand because you have an exceptionally stubborn temperament, you’re psychotic, or you’re delirious. If you’re making a harmful decision because you’re fundamentally unable to understand the decision, you’re supposed to be protected from harming yourself in ways you don’t understand.

So why shouldn't we be giving patients spiritual and financial advice? After all, surely we can understand the complexities of investing to a much greater extent than a functionally illiterate person who struggled to get a GED. Think of all the harm that results from their incomprehensible decision to go all in on a pyramid scheme. They clearly have no comprehension of the implications of this and how they are guaranteed to lose their shirts, even though we keep telling them. Better that we should take their credit card away from them, surely.

I’m not sure psychiatry should be uniquely involved. On the other hand, who exactly do you propose should evaluate rationality in these circumstances if not doctors?

I don't know, who do you think is best equipped to analyze arguments or determine what decisions are and are not rational? Philosophers? Semanticists? Lawyers? Theologians? Rhetoricians? Logicians? Laconic and mysterious cowboys?

And if they say they can't die because God will protect them, and appear to mean it?

How about Christian Scientists? They might very well reject the premise that disease is even real and contend that it is all a spiritual malady mostly requiring more prayer, which they can do very well at home, thank you.

How about the "candida overgrowth" people who will insist their breathing problems are an excess of candida and that all they need now is to change their diet to eat less bread and maybe take an IV antifungal?
If someone has some sort of belief that they can’t die, and because of it they are making a decision to forego life-saving treatment, I think they lack capacity. They fundamentally do not understand the decision they are making and its consequences. That is what it means to lack capacity. If they disagree with me, they can file with the court for an emergency injunction. If the court tells me to let someone make a decision they don’t understand, that’s fine. That’s on the court, not me.

'Rational' and 'understandable' are doing a lot of heavy lifting here.
Of course they are, because they are important aspects of decisional capacity.

'I'm never going on insulin for my diabetes because my uncle went on the insulin and lost his eye and leg.' The patient does not engage further on this point and resists all attempts at education. Do they have capacity to refuse insulin?

Refusing emergent C-sections because of an unshakeable belief in the utter safety of 'natural' births and the conviction that surgeons are evil butchers who delight in mutilating defenseless women for no reason. That's a slight exaggeration, but I have met people for whom it would not be much of one.
These all depend on how they are able to explain their decisions. If their decisions are based on fundamental misunderstanding of the risks and benefits of a course of action, or have no rational justification, then no they don’t have capacity.

I don't know, who do you think is best equipped to analyze arguments or determine what decisions are and are not rational? Philosophers? Semanticists? Lawyers? Theologians? Rhetoricians? Logicians? Laconic and mysterious cowboys?
Ethicists and lawyers are involved in these decisions, but only in controversial or contested cases. That being said, these people are not better equipped than a doctor to judge the rationality of medical decisions. It’s not like doctors are incapable of recognizing coherent logical structure. In addition, they also have the training to understand the medical circumstances that bear on the decision.

Have you ever had to do a capacity evaluation for some team that is concerned about whether the patient understands some complicated procedure? I have, and it’s terrible. It’s terrible because I am not an expert in esoteric surgeries and I need to have the procedure, its risks, benefits, etc. explained to me before I can even begin to evaluate the patient’s capacity. It’s a dumb game of telephone, which is exactly why we always try to get primary teams to evaluate this whenever possible. What you’re suggesting—that some philosopher or lawyer should be evaluating capacity—is even more absurd.

Last edited:
Have you ever had to do a capacity evaluation for some team that is concerned about whether the patient understands some complicated procedure? I have, and it’s terrible. It’s terrible because I am not an expert in esoteric surgeries and I need to have the procedure, its risks, benefits, etc. explained to me before I can even begin to evaluate the patient’s capacity. It’s a dumb game of telephone, which is exactly why we always try to get primary teams to evaluate this whenever possible. What you’re suggesting—that some philosopher or lawyer should be evaluating capacity—is even more absurd.

Agree with your overall point, but why are you doing it this way? The primary team needs to be in that room with you explaining the procedure to the patient and answering questions you may not have the answer to.

Agree with your overall point, but why are you doing it this way? The primary team needs to be in that room with you explaining the procedure to the patient and answering questions you may not have the answer to.
That is what I generally do, to be fair. I mostly described this situation to demonstrate the point.

I have, unfortunately, actually been in the situation I described on occasion. This mostly happened when I was a resident, some surgical attending was demanding a capacity evaluation, everyone on the surgical team was making it out like they’re too busy to commit to any particular time to see the patient together, and they were demanding that I just see the patient myself. Sometimes you just get a consult from a crappy team and you have to decide whether this is going to be your hill to die on or if you’re just going to try to do your best.

these all sound clear cases of lacking capacity.

"I'm not sick at all and don't need treatment" is worlds apart from "I know I'm sick but refuse treatment because of my beliefs".

• Care
So the religious parts are actually interesting because things like medical intervention refusing religious sects are a matter of no small amount of debate in bioethics. The legal protection for these groups actually varies from state to state in terms of how much protection they actually get and capacity they are presumed to have on the pure basis of stating a religious grounds (although very well established things like Jehovah's witnesses and blood transfusions generally go the way of the patient). It gets most salient for pediatrics, where children are presumed to lack capacity and capacity has to be assessed for parents for medical decision making, but at what point is the line drawn between medical neglect/negligent homicide and protection for religious beliefs?What constitutes a religion? Where does autonomy end and parens patriae begin? There's not a clear cut answer here.
There are examples in states where religious sects have legal protection of essentially outright medical neglect where the child would clearly have chosen medical treatment (not even terribly risky medical treatment) but was unable to make medical decisions until they were an adult.

I think again for the examples about the diabetic and C-section, a major thing that matters here is are they able to verbalize the risks and benefits of proceeding with their decision? Are they able to understand that they are sick or in danger in the first place? Is the pregnant woman able to verbalize that both she and her fetus will die without medical intervention, that this emergency medical intervention is being recommended by the medical team as their opinion as the best chance to save her life and consistently convey that this is her free choice to make? We also have to balance the risk of accepting/refusing the intervention and risk/benefit of the intervention itself. Immediate risk of refusing insulin? Probably pretty low, there's people who walk around all day with sky high BG, threshold for capacity can be fairly low. Immediate risk of refusing an emergent C section? High, but the procedure itself is not without risk, however this would mean we would want to be very confident in our capacity determination as well (especially the part in making sure the patient could understand the risks/benefits of the procedure clearly).

The ways that these may differ from the initial proposed scenario is if you have a very ill patient arguing that they simply aren't sick at all.

If someone has some sort of belief that they can’t die, and because of it they are making a decision to forego life-saving treatment, I think they lack capacity. They fundamentally do not understand the decision they are making and its consequences. That is what it means to lack capacity. If they disagree with me, they can file with the court for an emergency injunction. If the court tells me to let someone make a decision they don’t understand, that’s fine. That’s on the court, not me.

Not a belief that they can't die, necessarily, but they're not going to die this time or from this because XYZ religious/spiritual/mystical reason. They essentially reject the premise of the decision more than they do not understand the decision, or perhaps simply do not believe what they are being told about the degree of risk. We risk turning distrust into "incapacity".

Of course they are, because they are important aspects of decisional capacity.

Right, but they start to border on question-begging. If you can't make a rational decision about the procedure/intervention/whatever, you lack capacity. Okay. We can tell the decision is irrational if they are not appropriately weighting the information we are providing to them. So why is that irrational? Because being unable to appropriate weigh these decisions means they lack the capacity to make them. The issue is, how do you separate "irrational" from "disagrees fundamentally"?

"Understandable" is even more fraught. Understandable by who, exactly, and by what method? Syllogism? Phenomenological bracketing? Gestalt encoutner sessions? It's like "poverty of the imagination" arguments - "I don't see how this could possibly be the case, so it must not be." If the examining physician is from a different culture or speaks a different language or just lacks a certain empathetic nous, they could find a decision much less "understandable" than someone else who entertains a broader range of alternatives.

These all depend on how they are able to explain their decisions. If their decisions are based on fundamental misunderstanding of the risks and benefits of a course of action, or have no rational justification, then no they don’t have capacity.

So even if the difference stems entirely from a different spiritual system, cultural framework of meaning, worldview, or radically different set of priorities and values, so long as the examiner can't personally fathom it, we can sort of do whatever we think is medically necessary/optimal?

Ethicists and lawyers are involved in these decisions, but only in controversial or contested cases. That being said, these people are not better equipped than a doctor to judge the rationality of medical decisions. It’s not like doctors are incapable of recognizing coherent logical structure. In addition, they also have the training to understand the medical circumstances that bear on the decision.

It's certainly not the case that logic is systematically beaten out of us or anything. But the continued poor statistical literacy of physicians suggests that formal reasoning is not a strong suit of the profession and never has been, and clinical judgement, while I think very important and valuable in practice, is close to the opposite of coherent logical structure and based much more strongly on pattern recognition and a sort of experiential intuition.

Have you ever had to do a capacity evaluation for some team that is concerned about whether the patient understands some complicated procedure? I have, and it’s terrible. It’s terrible because I am not an expert in esoteric surgeries and I need to have the procedure, its risks, benefits, etc. explained to me before I can even begin to evaluate the patient’s capacity. It’s a dumb game of telephone, which is exactly why we always try to get primary teams to evaluate this whenever possible.
Yeah, and I agree it's terrible. We are at least in solid agreement that the actual subject matter experts are better suited to assess the quality of decision-making than someone who is relatively ignorant of the specifics. Although they have their own biases - spine surgeons as a profession seem to have deliberately misunderstood risks and benefits of most back procedures for a very long time based on how aggressively they were promoted despite plenty of voices raising serious doubts about their utility.

What you’re suggesting—that some philosopher or lawyer should be evaluating capacity—is even more absurd.

You don't say. So what part of medical school addressed decision-making theory or formal logic or the careful evaluation of arguments? Biostats, incidentally, is not a legitimate answer.

Not a belief that they can't die, necessarily, but they're not going to die this time or from this because XYZ religious/spiritual/mystical reason. They essentially reject the premise of the decision more than they do not understand the decision, or perhaps simply do not believe what they are being told about the degree of risk. We risk turning distrust into "incapacity".

I’m saying that you need to go to the first principles undergirding the ethical principle that people should not be able to make decisions they lack capacity to make. Fundamentally, I believe that people should be protected, to the extent possible, from making decisions that bear negatively on their health and safety when they cannot understand the factual circumstances or consequences related to those decisions. The reason I think that it’s wrong to allow a delirious elderly lady to make a decision about withdrawing life-sustaining treatment is not because she is delirious. It’s because she doesn’t understand what’s going on. This point is obvious when you consider cases of delirious or mentally ill people who are nonetheless lucid enough to understand certain decisions that we let them make. One can clearly be delirious or mentally ill yet competent to make specific medical decisions. It is not the etiology that controls whether or not it is morally acceptable to let someone make a decision. It is their understanding, rationality, etc.

I am not sure why you think that people with a diagnosis are in a fundamentally distinct category with regard to this ethical consideration. Incapacitated people with a formal diagnosis are unable to understand their circumstances or make rational decisions because some combination of biological and environmental factors led them to be in such a state that they can’t carry out one or more of the functions that relate to capacity. Someone who can’t carry out one of these functions because of religion or a conspiracy theory is in that state for the same reasons. Some set of environmental and biological factors led them to become beholden to some factually inaccurate or irrational position. Why are these situations distinct in a way that is morally relevant? Obviously, some of the circumstances leading to certain causes of incapacity are more easily discernible than others, but even within diagnosable conditions there is a great deal of variability in this regard. Do you mean to tell me that we know substantially more about why people dissociate than we do about why they become beholden to extreme religious or political beliefs? Also, what possible case is there for why this distinction is morally relevant? Why is someone entitled to greater protection from the consequences of their decision if they have viral encephalitis than if they’re part of a reality-denying cult?

Right, but they start to border on question-begging. If you can't make a rational decision about the procedure/intervention/whatever, you lack capacity. Okay. We can tell the decision is irrational if they are not appropriately weighting the information we are providing to them. So why is that irrational? Because being unable to appropriate weigh these decisions means they lack the capacity to make them. The issue is, how do you separate "irrational" from "disagrees fundamentally"?

What are you talking about? It’s not question begging. It relates to the definition of rationality. Rationality requires there be a logical connection between a person’s beliefs and their justifications for them. Are you under the impression that if we generated the formal logical structure of any argument, we could just prove each one correct or incorrect and eliminate disagreement? If you believe that, you’ve obviously never taken formal logic. Two opposing arguments can be equally logical or illogical. Additionally, many arguments defy formalization because they rely on types of logic other than deductive logic.

I’m not suggesting that anyone who disagrees with me is irrational.

"Understandable" is even more fraught. Understandable by who, exactly, and by what method? Syllogism? Phenomenological bracketing? Gestalt encoutner sessions? It's like "poverty of the imagination" arguments - "I don't see how this could possibly be the case, so it must not be." If the examining physician is from a different culture or speaks a different language or just lacks a certain empathetic nous, they could find a decision much less "understandable" than someone else who entertains a broader range of alternatives.

Your argument here is basically that there is some degree of subjectivity to the analysis. That’s a fine criticism of capacity evaluations generally, but it is just that—a general criticism. Such a criticism equally applies to the situation of someone who is severely mentally ill. On what basis are you to evaluate whether their decision is rational or irrational? Presumably that also has something to do with whether you can understand their position. Are you suggesting that we should be letting mentally ill people with incoherent justifications make important medical decisions? If not, then clearly this argument is not a specific argument for the importance of etiology to the issue of capacity, and is irrelevant to the present discussion.

So even if the difference stems entirely from a different spiritual system, cultural framework of meaning, worldview, or radically different set of priorities and values, so long as the examiner can't personally fathom it, we can sort of do whatever we think is medically necessary/optimal?

Again, see the above. The fact that this process is somewhat subjective and involves some amount of personal discretion on the part of the evaluator is merely a critique of the capacity evaluation process generally. The fact that you’re mentioning it in the context of a spiritual objection merely disguises the fact that this same criticism equally applies to capacity determinations of the delirious and the mentally ill, and is in fact irrelevant to the present discussion.

It's certainly not the case that logic is systematically beaten out of us or anything. But the continued poor statistical literacy of physicians suggests that formal reasoning is not a strong suit of the profession and never has been, and clinical judgement, while I think very important and valuable in practice, is close to the opposite of coherent logical structure and based much more strongly on pattern recognition and a sort of experiential intuition.

I’m not sure that this is true. Rational thought entails both a factual aspect and a process aspect. Rational thought cannot be based on demonstrably false beliefs. It also cannot be based on faulty logical structure. Nobody is in a better position to judge the factual aspects of medical decisions than a physician. I also don’t think that the process evaluation is so complex that it requires formal training. Nobody is expecting their patient to be a logician. Generally, the thought process only gets called into question when there are obvious deficits.

Physicians are not logicians, but they’re not aircraft mechanics either. I think most physicians could still accurately identify that an airplane is unfit to fly if it is missing wings.

Yeah, and I agree it's terrible. We are at least in solid agreement that the actual subject matter experts are better suited to assess the quality of decision-making than someone who is relatively ignorant of the specifics. Although they have their own biases - spine surgeons as a profession seem to have deliberately misunderstood risks and benefits of most back procedures for a very long time based on how aggressively they were promoted despite plenty of voices raising serious doubts about their utility.

Again, your criticism of the subjectivity involved and the potential for error applies equally to cases of mental illness as it does to other potential causes of incapacity. This argument does not bear on whether someone can be incapacitated due to extreme political or religious beliefs.

You don't say. So what part of medical school addressed decision-making theory or formal logic or the careful evaluation of arguments? Biostats, incidentally, is not a legitimate answer.

I have taken formal logic. If you have taken formal logic, you should be keenly aware that it is impossible to formalize the majority of arguments. Many arguments are inductive or abductive in nature. No amount of universal quantifiers is going to capture such arguments. That is before you even get into the controversial field of fuzzy logic with its questions about whether truth is actually binary. There are also plenty of pragmatic critiques that suggest that a statement can be either true or false depending on the functional context. The next time you have a patient who explains their medical decision in a way that it sounds like it was pulled from a contract, and has a deductive structure that lends itself to formal logical analysis, sure, go ahead and call a logician. I suspect, however, that nobody is questioning the capacity of such a person in the first place. For all of the other cases, I do not accept your suggestion that other people have a much better understanding of what constitutes a rational medical argument than a doctor does.

Last edited:
Done a few hundred capacity evals and will add my view:

COVID dx and beliefs in this case is a red herring...not worth exploring at all......hx mental disorder also not relevant per se

Question is how sick is the patient? How harmful is the treatment?

Does the patient have a plan to "fix it" and is the plan (including knowing they can die without it) consistent and reality based?

So if a patient says they have covid pneumonia, they understand antibiotics could help, but they dont want antibiotics because they want a chance to see if their body can heal on its own (or with whatever they choose to use) and they understand they can die without it and will call 911 if they change their mind.....then COMPETENT

Then start adding the other factors back into the picture, how much oxygen do they require, what are their saturations, what is the white count, what are the x-rays showing, where they live, do they have assistance in the community, is a choice consistent each time you talk to them, are they having delirium, is there and uncontrolled psychiatric illness that has put him off of their baseline

All that being said delusional patients are very difficult but they do often still have capacity in this case it sounds like the patient does to me...Also depending on what state this patient is in some states will not allow medical treatment to be forced without a judges order so is the team ready for that?

Done a few hundred capacity evals and will add my view:

...COMPETENT
I don't know if I agree or disagree with you, but I find it ironic that you've done so many of these and still use the incorrect word competent.

• Haha
I don't know if I agree or disagree with you, but I find it ironic that you've done so many of these and still use the incorrect word competent.
This is a message board, not a patient's chart....thanks for the pedantic reply

In Maryland we interchange capacity and competency in the clinical setting and "competency" is actually an order the medical teams use

Any other questions?

This is a message board, not a patient's chart....thanks for the pedantic reply

In Maryland we interchange capacity and competency in the clinical setting and "competency" is actually an order the medical teams use

Any other questions?
Competency is determined by a court, not a physician. It doesn't really matter if others do it wrong; experts in the field should know the terminology. Does the state of Maryland actually define these terms differently?

• Haha
Competency is determined by a court, not a physician. It doesn't really matter if others do it wrong; experts in the field should know the terminology. Does the state of Maryland actually define these terms differently?
Again you’re telling me stuff I already know, if you have a need to be right then I hope you satisfied yourself today

And if you have questions about Maryland why don’t you Google it... I see you have a history of nitpicking peoples posts without adding anything to the conversation

Yeah yeah people say this but actually when you're determining someone to lack capacity you're also determining them incompetent de-facto at that time. It is rather pedantic.

"The patient evaluated by a physician to lack capacity to make reasoned medical decisions is referred to as de facto incompetent, i.e., incompetent in fact, but not determined to be so by legal procedures."

The "competency is a legal determination" thing matters most when you have someone who is chronically deemed incompetent (ex. an individual with moderate ID, dementia, etc) who the courts then appoint a legal guardian since it is assumed they will be incompetent for extended periods of time in multiple domains by the legal system. Or competency to stand trial for instance.

• Care
I’m saying that you need to go to the first principles undergirding the ethical principle that people should not be able to make decisions they lack capacity to make. Fundamentally, I believe that people should be protected, to the extent possible, from making decisions that bear negatively on their health and safety when they cannot understand the factual circumstances or consequences related to those decisions. The reason I think that it’s wrong to allow a delirious elderly lady to make a decision about withdrawing life-sustaining treatment is not because she is delirious. It’s because she doesn’t understand what’s going on. This point is obvious when you consider cases of delirious or mentally ill people who are nonetheless lucid enough to understand certain decisions that we let them make. One can clearly be delirious or mentally ill yet competent to make specific medical decisions. It is not the etiology that controls whether or not it is morally acceptable to let someone make a decision. It is their understanding, rationality, etc.

I think we are in agreement that people with all manner of illnesses and conditions can be perfectly able to make reasonable decisions. I do think the question of what standard of rationality continues to be significant. Imagine someone with extremely hyperbolic time discounting, i.e., a bad or obnoxious thing happening now is 1000x worse than the same bad or obnoxious thing happening a week from now, despite the fact that if they happened at the same time they would be equally unpleasant. This could lead someone to prefer a whole range of future terrible outcomes in the interests of avoiding what others would perceive as minor inconveniences in the here and now. It is not hard to construct an argument that this is irrational but it can also be understand simply as a different set of preferences or values.

I think to have a coherent idea of rationality here that is going to hold up and be useful you are implicitly positing a sort of teleological model of a person who should instantiate or pursue certain ideal values. Not infrequently when people are making decisions that seem highly irrational (and certainly sounds like this is true in the OP's case), they are essentially pursuing a set of values that differs from that ideal. K.W. Fulford's "dissensus" model can be helpful here.

At what point do you want to say that the values someone is pursuing are discrepant enough that they fundamentally misapprehend the reality of their situation to some extent and how do we separate that from just radically different sets of preferences (i.e., to be seen as supporting your political tribe being weighted more heavily than potentially dying).

I am not sure why you think that people with a diagnosis are in a fundamentally distinct category with regard to this ethical consideration. Incapacitated people with a formal diagnosis are unable to understand their circumstances or make rational decisions because some combination of biological and environmental factors led them to be in such a state that they can’t carry out one or more of the functions that relate to capacity. Someone who can’t carry out one of these functions because of religion or a conspiracy theory is in that state for the same reasons. Some set of environmental and biological factors led them to become beholden to some factually inaccurate or irrational position. Why are these situations distinct in a way that is morally relevant? Obviously, some of the circumstances leading to certain causes of incapacity are more easily discernible than others, but even within diagnosable conditions there is a great deal of variability in this regard. Do you mean to tell me that we know substantially more about why people dissociate than we do about why they become beholden to extreme religious or political beliefs? Also, what possible case is there for why this distinction is morally relevant? Why is someone entitled to greater protection from the consequences of their decision if they have viral encephalitis than if they’re part of a reality-denying cult?

I don't disagree with you that any of these circumstances could lead to someone making decisions based on a conception of reality probably neither you nor I share. At the same time, I think having or being suspected of having some medical or psychiatric dysfunction should be a necessary but not sufficient condition for physicians to be able to claim particular expertise in evaluating whether or not the people in question have the capacity to make the decision. After all, we should be the ones with the most detailed, extensive, and intimate knowledge of how illness of varying kinds affects decision-making/reason/cognition/whatever.

I would argue that for people making decisions who are not impaired by something we recognize as pathology then the role of physicians in this process is just to provide information and answer factual questions. A potential analogy might be expert witnesses in a trial. Their testimony is of course highly relevant for the court in making its decision about the outcome of the case, but they are not ultimately the arbiters of justice. If we say that we get to determine capacity about medical decision-making in the case of non-medical impairment, then we are saying we are essentially an appeals court in this analogy, getting to scrutinize the reasoning of the lower court and reject it if we think it is unsound on whatever grounds.

What are you talking about? It’s not question begging. It relates to the definition of rationality. Rationality requires there be a logical connection between a person’s beliefs and their justifications for them. Are you under the impression that if we generated the formal logical structure of any argument, we could just prove each one correct or incorrect and eliminate disagreement? If you believe that, you’ve obviously never taken formal logic. Two opposing arguments can be equally logical or illogical. Additionally, many arguments defy formalization because they rely on types of logic other than deductive logic.

I’m not suggesting that anyone who disagrees with me is irrational.

I am pointing out that in this conversation "rationality" and "capacity" are starting to slip closer and closer to circularity. As my old department chair once put it, "all arguments are circular, it's just a matter of how long it takes you to return to the beginning" but we of course want to extend the length of that loop whenever possible.

I have no illusions about being able to re-state all the propositions of a typical medical decision in first-order logic and have the correct decision just fall out. I am also perfectly aware of inductive and abductive reasoning and that medicine is largely conducted on the basis of these two forms far more than deduction. What I was asking was for a commitment about the standards of rationality we are planning to apply to determine capacity that is more detailed than "I personally can follow their chain of reasoning."

Your argument here is basically that there is some degree of subjectivity to the analysis. That’s a fine criticism of capacity evaluations generally, but it is just that—a general criticism. Such a criticism equally applies to the situation of someone who is severely mentally ill. On what basis are you to evaluate whether their decision is rational or irrational? Presumably that also has something to do with whether you can understand their position. Are you suggesting that we should be letting mentally ill people with incoherent justifications make important medical decisions? If not, then clearly this argument is not a specific argument for the importance of etiology to the issue of capacity, and is irrelevant to the present discussion.

Okay this is definitely question-begging. "Are you suggesting that people with invalid grounds for making decisions can make decisions we have stipulated must be made on valid grounds?"

Again, see the above. The fact that this process is somewhat subjective and involves some amount of personal discretion on the part of the evaluator is merely a critique of the capacity evaluation process generally. The fact that you’re mentioning it in the context of a spiritual objection merely disguises the fact that this same criticism equally applies to capacity determinations of the delirious and the mentally ill, and is in fact irrelevant to the present discussion.

I don't think it's as irrelevant as you find it. Our society (and our profession, based on the DSM) has clearly decided that strange beliefs that can be attributed to something that resembles religion are privileged and protected in a way that strange beliefs attributable to something that we have decided is pathology are not. Perhaps you think this is unacceptable and would like it to change. Fair enough, a reasonable discussion can be had there, though I think we run into the problems of physicians also not being particularly expert in theology or the sociology of religion at some point.

The intuitions of most people seem to find a difference here, and since this is a difference entirely dependent on etiology, etiology obviously matters a great deal.

I’m not sure that this is true. Rational thought entails both a factual aspect and a process aspect. Rational thought cannot be based on demonstrably false beliefs. It also cannot be based on faulty logical structure. Nobody is in a better position to judge the factual aspects of medical decisions than a physician. I also don’t think that the process evaluation is so complex that it requires formal training. Nobody is expecting their patient to be a logician. Generally, the thought process only gets called into question when there are obvious deficits.

I'm less confident in the general ability of the average physician to think through an argument carefully. It is not really how we are trained and in fact the learning process often is actively hostile to it. I also think it's not empirically the case that the thought process only gets called into question when there are obvious deficits. A good proportion of the time it seems like it gets called into question when the patient just arrives at an answer contrary to what their treating physicians recommend.

I do apologize for my attempt at humor in invoking logicians, it was meant in jest.

Physicians are not logicians, but they’re not aircraft mechanics either. I think most physicians could still accurately identify that an airplane is unfit to fly if it is missing wings.

Most modern airliners are designed to be able to land safely even if one of the engines falls clean off mid-flight. My fear is that we get drawn into situations where we see that the engine has fallen off and conclude the patient isn't flying.

Again, your criticism of the subjectivity involved and the potential for error applies equally to cases of mental illness as it does to other potential causes of incapacity. This argument does not bear on whether someone can be incapacitated due to extreme political or religious beliefs.

No this is a specific argument challenging the role of physicians in making decisions when the incapacity comes from something that is not in our wheelhouse. It directly speaks to what I am suggesting the appropriate role for us is in those cases.

. For all of the other cases, I do not accept your suggestion that other people have a much better understanding of what constitutes a rational medical argument than a doctor does.

And as long as some consideration and processing of available medical information has taken place, I don't think capacity should depend on how good of a medical argument someone makes. If someone has consistently hated physicians and hospitals and wants nothing to do with us because they just don't like our faces and never have, and this person takes in the information we have given and says I don't care, f you doc, you're all scumbags and I'd rather die than be in a hospital, I don't know that that person lacks capacity. Even though they are clearly arriving at this decision verrrrrry differently from how I would be making choices.

Yeah yeah people say this but actually when you're determining someone to lack capacity you're also determining them incompetent de-facto at that time. It is rather pedantic.

"The patient evaluated by a physician to lack capacity to make reasoned medical decisions is referred to as de facto incompetent, i.e., incompetent in fact, but not determined to be so by legal procedures."

The "competency is a legal determination" thing matters most when you have someone who is chronically deemed incompetent (ex. an individual with moderate ID, dementia, etc) who the courts then appoint a legal guardian since it is assumed they will be incompetent for extended periods of time in multiple domains by the legal system. Or competency to stand trial for instance.
I agree, its usually a losing battle to teach the medical teams and they seem confused when I say "capacity" so i try to communicate on the terms the medical teams, nurses and families use and focus on the patient

Thanks for this article and that definition is exactly how the scenario unfolds...when we seek a judge's decision we call it "guardianship" even if its temporary to only last through the present hospitalization

Oh I forgot this part LOL...im at a forensic hospital right now with quite a few incompetent to stand trial's (IST) probably why "competent" is in my vocabulary too

Again you’re telling me stuff I already know, if you have a need to be right then I hope you satisfied yourself today

And if you have questions about Maryland why don’t you Google it... I see you have a history of nitpicking peoples posts without adding anything to the conversation
I was just making an offhanded comment based on the commonly stated (and written about in everything I could Google) concept about capacity and competency. Don't know why you took this so personally. Im certainly interested in reading that article when I have time to do more than mess around in this thread

I also don't know why you think I'm generally pedantic -- have you seen the other posts in this thread? I can't even read them all.

I also don't know why you think I'm generally pedantic -- have you seen the other posts in this thread? I can't even read them all.
no i just clicked on your name and saw you historically correcting people's spelling and grammar and other minor details and responded to you with the energy you (probably unknowingly) bring

arent you a child psych? Do you even do capacity evals?

arent you a child psych? Do you even do capacity evals?
I work for a hospital system and so I have to take call some holidays and weekends. I hate when they make me see geriatric patients. I even hate when my outpatients turn 22 before I'm able to ship them off to the adult world.

I think we are in agreement that people with all manner of illnesses and conditions can be perfectly able to make reasonable decisions. I do think the question of what standard of rationality continues to be significant. Imagine someone with extremely hyperbolic time discounting, i.e., a bad or obnoxious thing happening now is 1000x worse than the same bad or obnoxious thing happening a week from now, despite the fact that if they happened at the same time they would be equally unpleasant. This could lead someone to prefer a whole range of future terrible outcomes in the interests of avoiding what others would perceive as minor inconveniences in the here and now. It is not hard to construct an argument that this is irrational but it can also be understand simply as a different set of preferences or values.

There are several problems with your example. The first is an epistemic problem. How exactly are you supposed to know whether a patient's apparently biased evaluation of the severity of situations is simply a matter of preferences or a feature of some sort of undifferentiated cognitive abnormality? The other problem is that the whole example misses my point that I don't think it matters if it's merely a matter of preferences if you cannot articulate any rational reason for your preference.

I think to have a coherent idea of rationality here that is going to hold up and be useful you are implicitly positing a sort of teleological model of a person who should instantiate or pursue certain ideal values. Not infrequently when people are making decisions that seem highly irrational (and certainly sounds like this is true in the OP's case), they are essentially pursuing a set of values that differs from that ideal. K.W. Fulford's "dissensus" model can be helpful here.

If someone is simply pursuing different values than I have, that's fine. The issue is, however, that you still have to explain a coherent, understandable process by which you reach your conclusions. Before you claim this is circular, you need to consider the point I made later in this post that you also misunderstood. I asked you a question about whether you think that a mentally ill person incoherently making an important medical decision should be allowed to make that decision. This is a yes or no question. There's no circularity about it. If your answer is yes, then I think you have a generally nihilistic approach to the issue of capacity and we need to have a different discussion. If your answer is no, then we can move on to another issue that I also examined. That issue can be phrased in the form of a question, too: Do you think that a mentally ill person can nonetheless make a medical decision if they seem to understand the issues and thoughtfully provide their rationale? Above, you seem to indicate that this is possible. Assuming you responded "no" to the first and "yes" to the second question, you have indicated that two people in the same circumstances should be treated differently because of how they are able to explain their rationale. By making this distinction, you inherently acknowledge the importance of some form of rationality in considering whether it's ethically appropriate to let someone make a decision.

I have a hard time understanding how you think a basis in some vague sense of "different values" alters whether or not a decision is rational. Are you proposing some concept of subjective rationality? Do you honestly believe that the same argument can be rational or irrational depending on whether a person is basing it on "their beliefs?" This makes no sense. Rationality is not itself subjective. Presumably, if a person is basing their decision on a set of beliefs, that is included in how they lay out their argument. That argument is rational or irrational independent of whether I agree with their beliefs or not. If someone said "I'm an atheist, therefore it is impossible for me to die from COVID," that is irrational regardless of whether I'm evaluating it as an atheist, a Christian, or a Buddhist.

Again, you might make the criticism that the way that rationality is actually evaluated winds up involving some personal judgment of the evaluator, and so different people might come to different conclusions about the rationality of a given position. That is a practical criticism, and does not fundamentally make the case that belief-based positions are in a different category than etiology-based positions such that they deserve different ethical consideration.

At what point do you want to say that the values someone is pursuing are discrepant enough that they fundamentally misapprehend the reality of their situation to some extent and how do we separate that from just radically different sets of preferences (i.e., to be seen as supporting your political tribe being weighted more heavily than potentially dying).

That point is the point at which your political beliefs interfere with a factual understanding of your circumstances or a rational appraisal of your options. How many times do I need to reiterate the same thing. Saying "I'm pro-life and believe that an unborn fetus deserves the same consideration as any other person. I understand that I will die without this medically necessary abortion, but I personally believe that it is morally wrong to make any decision to end the life of another person. As a result, I am refusing the procedure." is dramatically different than saying "I don't want the procedure because even if I don't get it, my baby and I will be fine because I'm a Republican." Both of those decisions cite personal political beliefs, but one is rational and one is not. I happen to personally disagree with both decisions, but the former person likely has capacity to make the decision and the latter likely does not.

I don't disagree with you that any of these circumstances could lead to someone making decisions based on a conception of reality probably neither you nor I share. At the same time, I think having or being suspected of having some medical or psychiatric dysfunction should be a necessary but not sufficient condition for physicians to be able to claim particular expertise in evaluating whether or not the people in question have the capacity to make the decision. After all, we should be the ones with the most detailed, extensive, and intimate knowledge of how illness of varying kinds affects decision-making/reason/cognition/whatever.

I would argue that for people making decisions who are not impaired by something we recognize as pathology then the role of physicians in this process is just to provide information and answer factual questions. A potential analogy might be expert witnesses in a trial. Their testimony is of course highly relevant for the court in making its decision about the outcome of the case, but they are not ultimately the arbiters of justice. If we say that we get to determine capacity about medical decision-making in the case of non-medical impairment, then we are saying we are essentially an appeals court in this analogy, getting to scrutinize the reasoning of the lower court and reject it if we think it is unsound on whatever grounds.

But why is it a necessary condition? The issue of capacity is not based in medical or psychiatric science, but in medical ethics. If you want to say that having a medical or psychiatric condition is necessary for someone to be incapacitated, you need to provide an ethically meaningful reason that people with psychiatric or medical illness are entitled to different consideration and different protections against decisions they don't understand than all other people. So far, all you have leveled are practical critiques about doctors not being subject matter experts and potentially having personal biases based on different core beliefs than their patients. Those may be valid criticisms that warrant interventions like additional training for doctors, increased oversight of decisions about capacity, greater accessibility to public defenders to challenge capacity determinations made by doctors, or any number of other changes. They do nothing, however, to justify a position that a person must have a diagnosable condition in order to be incapacitated.

I will reiterate the same point that I've made throughout this thread. In order to ethically justify a diagnosable condition as a necessary condition for a determination of incapacity, you need to make an argument as to why, in otherwise identical circumstances, the class of people with diagnosable conditions warrant different ethical consideration than the class of people without diagnosable conditions. You have, thus far, made no argument on this point. I have made several arguments for why a diagnosable condition does not modify the ethical consideration a person is entitled to when it comes to capacity. These arguments have included:

People with diagnosable conditions and people without are in cognitive states that are fundamentally dictated by the same sets of processes. Irrespective of with what level of granularity we understand the specific processes leading to any one individual's deficits, all of these deficits are the result of some combination of biological and environmental factors. The processes by which individuals come by deficits in these domains broadly similar, so they deserve the same ethical consideration when it comes to capacity.

We don't fundamentally know more about diagnosable conditions than we do about belief-based deficits in rational thought. In fact, there is a decent psychological literature examining extreme or fringe political or religious beliefs. By comparison, we know very little about many of our psychiatric diagnoses, and there is considerable debate about whether some diagnosable conditions are valid at all.

The main reason why most people find it unconscionable to let people make significant medical decisions when they don't understand anything about them relates to the fact that they don't understand them, not what incidental mental disorder they might have. This is also obvious when you consider how it is considered unethical if you fail to obtain informed consent. A patient can be completely cognitively normal, but it's a violation if you let them consent to a surgery without informing them about the surgery. This is unethical because they don't know about what they're consenting to, and as a result they are unable to effectively advocate for their own interests. Taken into the domain of incapacitated individuals, the reason it is unethical to let them make decisions is because they lack understanding/rationality, and thus lack the ability to effectively advocate for their own interests. A person who is so thoroughly influenced by a cult, for example, that they cannot accept the fact that they can die is just as unable to advocate for their interests as someone who is psychotic. Such a person may well have a strong interest in not dying, but if they cannot accept the reality that they can, in fact, die, then their beliefs are interfering with their ability to advocate for their right to continue living in just the same way as someone's mental illness might do the same.

I am pointing out that in this conversation "rationality" and "capacity" are starting to slip closer and closer to circularity. As my old department chair once put it, "all arguments are circular, it's just a matter of how long it takes you to return to the beginning" but we of course want to extend the length of that loop whenever possible.

I have no illusions about being able to re-state all the propositions of a typical medical decision in first-order logic and have the correct decision just fall out. I am also perfectly aware of inductive and abductive reasoning and that medicine is largely conducted on the basis of these two forms far more than deduction. What I was asking was for a commitment about the standards of rationality we are planning to apply to determine capacity that is more detailed than "I personally can follow their chain of reasoning."

At a bare minimum, rational thought requires that a person's conclusion and their rationale for that conclusion bear some relation to one another. I would go further and say that I do think that another person must be able to follow the chain of reasoning.

In any case, this is actually a separate argument. We can debate how, in practice, we should go about assessing rationality, but this does not really bear on the issue of whether we should treat people with diagnosable conditions and those without differently. Maybe rationality actually has no bearing on whether someone should be able to make a medical decision. Maybe there are completely different criteria that we should be using. None of this actually matters. Fundamentally, what we are arguing is "should people without a diagnosis be protected from their own decisions in the same way that people with diagnoses are?"

Okay this is definitely question-begging. "Are you suggesting that people with invalid grounds for making decisions can make decisions we have stipulated must be made on valid grounds?"

It is not question begging. It is a literal question I am posing to you. Do you think that a mentally ill person without a coherent rationale for their decision should be allowed to make an important medical decision. See my above explanation of how this relates to the relevance of your critique.

I don't think it's as irrelevant as you find it. Our society (and our profession, based on the DSM) has clearly decided that strange beliefs that can be attributed to something that resembles religion are privileged and protected in a way that strange beliefs attributable to something that we have decided is pathology are not. Perhaps you think this is unacceptable and would like it to change. Fair enough, a reasonable discussion can be had there, though I think we run into the problems of physicians also not being particularly expert in theology or the sociology of religion at some point.

The intuitions of most people seem to find a difference here, and since this is a difference entirely dependent on etiology, etiology obviously matters a great deal.

The DSM makes this distinction diagnostically, not with regard to course of action. Cultural beliefs are not diagnoses, but that does not mean that they cannot lead to problems that require intervention. If someone came into your ED and told you that they were going to commit suicide with their cult next week, what would you do? Say you talked with them, several family members, multiple friends, and some of their fellow cult members, and you could find no evidence that they were depressed, no evidence of a personality disorder, no evidence of psychosis, and no evidence of any psychiatric disorder whatsoever. They were also not medically ill. Would you discharge them? Or would you admit them, potentially under some hedgy diagnosis that you don't necessarily fully believe to be accurate, like "adjustment disorder" or "unspecified mood disorder" or whatever?

I'm less confident in the general ability of the average physician to think through an argument carefully. It is not really how we are trained and in fact the learning process often is actively hostile to it. I also think it's not empirically the case that the thought process only gets called into question when there are obvious deficits. A good proportion of the time it seems like it gets called into question when the patient just arrives at an answer contrary to what their treating physicians recommend.

I do apologize for my attempt at humor in invoking logicians, it was meant in jest.

I am personally of the opinion that we should be questioning capacity on anyone who has deficits in understanding or rationality, regardless of whether they agree with the treatment team. I think that the fact that teams only tend to question capacity when the patient disagrees with them is de facto coercive. That said, this is again a practical problem with capacity determinations, not an argument for different consideration of the two groups of patients we've been discussing.

Most modern airliners are designed to be able to land safely even if one of the engines falls clean off mid-flight. My fear is that we get drawn into situations where we see that the engine has fallen off and conclude the patient isn't flying.

Fine, but where does this type of concern end for you? Obviously there are matters about which people can form opinions on the basis of just being a reasonable human being. Some people might have more expertise than others, but for many things we just accept that anybody is competent enough in the subject to form an opinion. The other day, my computer wouldn't turn on and I concluded that was because it was unplugged. Do I need to be a computer engineer to come to that conclusion because it's possible that there was some other technical issue that resolved itself by the time I plugged the computer in?

No this is a specific argument challenging the role of physicians in making decisions when the incapacity comes from something that is not in our wheelhouse. It directly speaks to what I am suggesting the appropriate role for us is in those cases.

Again, I think that it is in our wheelhouse. These are medical decisions, so we're better qualified than anybody else to make these decisions.

And as long as some consideration and processing of available medical information has taken place, I don't think capacity should depend on how good of a medical argument someone makes. If someone has consistently hated physicians and hospitals and wants nothing to do with us because they just don't like our faces and never have, and this person takes in the information we have given and says I don't care, f you doc, you're all scumbags and I'd rather die than be in a hospital, I don't know that that person lacks capacity. Even though they are clearly arriving at this decision verrrrrry differently from how I would be making choices.

It depends on how they're able to explain those decisions. If he can demonstrate that he understands that he needs treatment and will suffer some problematic consequence without it, and nonetheless explains that he doesn't want to be in a hospital and would rather suffer those negative consequences, I might agree with you. If he's not able to demonstrate that he understands any of these things, how exactly are you coming to a conclusion that he has capacity?

There are several problems with your example. The first is an epistemic problem. How exactly are you supposed to know whether a patient's apparently biased evaluation of the severity of situations is simply a matter of preferences or a feature of some sort of undifferentiated cognitive abnormality? The other problem is that the whole example misses my point that I don't think it matters if it's merely a matter of preferences if you cannot articulate any rational reason for your preference.

If someone is simply pursuing different values than I have, that's fine. The issue is, however, that you still have to explain a coherent, understandable process by which you reach your conclusions. Before you claim this is circular, you need to consider the point I made later in this post that you also misunderstood. I asked you a question about whether you think that a mentally ill person incoherently making an important medical decision should be allowed to make that decision. This is a yes or no question. There's no circularity about it. If your answer is yes, then I think you have a generally nihilistic approach to the issue of capacity and we need to have a different discussion. If your answer is no, then we can move on to another issue that I also examined. That issue can be phrased in the form of a question, too: Do you think that a mentally ill person can nonetheless make a medical decision if they seem to understand the issues and thoughtfully provide their rationale? Above, you seem to indicate that this is possible. Assuming you responded "no" to the first and "yes" to the second question, you have indicated that two people in the same circumstances should be treated differently because of how they are able to explain their rationale. By making this distinction, you inherently acknowledge the importance of some form of rationality in considering whether it's ethically appropriate to let someone make a decision.

I have a hard time understanding how you think a basis in some vague sense of "different values" alters whether or not a decision is rational. Are you proposing some concept of subjective rationality? Do you honestly believe that the same argument can be rational or irrational depending on whether a person is basing it on "their beliefs?" This makes no sense. Rationality is not itself subjective. Presumably, if a person is basing their decision on a set of beliefs, that is included in how they lay out their argument. That argument is rational or irrational independent of whether I agree with their beliefs or not. If someone said "I'm an atheist, therefore it is impossible for me to die from COVID," that is irrational regardless of whether I'm evaluating it as an atheist, a Christian, or a Buddhist.

Again, you might make the criticism that the way that rationality is actually evaluated winds up involving some personal judgment of the evaluator, and so different people might come to different conclusions about the rationality of a given position. That is a practical criticism, and does not fundamentally make the case that belief-based positions are in a different category than etiology-based positions such that they deserve different ethical consideration.

That point is the point at which your political beliefs interfere with a factual understanding of your circumstances or a rational appraisal of your options. How many times do I need to reiterate the same thing. Saying "I'm pro-life and believe that an unborn fetus deserves the same consideration as any other person. I understand that I will die without this medically necessary abortion, but I personally believe that it is morally wrong to make any decision to end the life of another person. As a result, I am refusing the procedure." is dramatically different than saying "I don't want the procedure because even if I don't get it, my baby and I will be fine because I'm a Republican." Both of those decisions cite personal political beliefs, but one is rational and one is not. I happen to personally disagree with both decisions, but the former person likely has capacity to make the decision and the latter likely does not.

But why is it a necessary condition? The issue of capacity is not based in medical or psychiatric science, but in medical ethics. If you want to say that having a medical or psychiatric condition is necessary for someone to be incapacitated, you need to provide an ethically meaningful reason that people with psychiatric or medical illness are entitled to different consideration and different protections against decisions they don't understand than all other people. So far, all you have leveled are practical critiques about doctors not being subject matter experts and potentially having personal biases based on different core beliefs than their patients. Those may be valid criticisms that warrant interventions like additional training for doctors, increased oversight of decisions about capacity, greater accessibility to public defenders to challenge capacity determinations made by doctors, or any number of other changes. They do nothing, however, to justify a position that a person must have a diagnosable condition in order to be incapacitated.

I will reiterate the same point that I've made throughout this thread. In order to ethically justify a diagnosable condition as a necessary condition for a determination of incapacity, you need to make an argument as to why, in otherwise identical circumstances, the class of people with diagnosable conditions warrant different ethical consideration than the class of people without diagnosable conditions. You have, thus far, made no argument on this point. I have made several arguments for why a diagnosable condition does not modify the ethical consideration a person is entitled to when it comes to capacity. These arguments have included:

People with diagnosable conditions and people without are in cognitive states that are fundamentally dictated by the same sets of processes. Irrespective of with what level of granularity we understand the specific processes leading to any one individual's deficits, all of these deficits are the result of some combination of biological and environmental factors. The processes by which individuals come by deficits in these domains broadly similar, so they deserve the same ethical consideration when it comes to capacity.

We don't fundamentally know more about diagnosable conditions than we do about belief-based deficits in rational thought. In fact, there is a decent psychological literature examining extreme or fringe political or religious beliefs. By comparison, we know very little about many of our psychiatric diagnoses, and there is considerable debate about whether some diagnosable conditions are valid at all.

The main reason why most people find it unconscionable to let people make significant medical decisions when they don't understand anything about them relates to the fact that they don't understand them, not what incidental mental disorder they might have. This is also obvious when you consider how it is considered unethical if you fail to obtain informed consent. A patient can be completely cognitively normal, but it's a violation if you let them consent to a surgery without informing them about the surgery. This is unethical because they don't know about what they're consenting to, and as a result they are unable to effectively advocate for their own interests. Taken into the domain of incapacitated individuals, the reason it is unethical to let them make decisions is because they lack understanding/rationality, and thus lack the ability to effectively advocate for their own interests. A person who is so thoroughly influenced by a cult, for example, that they cannot accept the fact that they can die is just as unable to advocate for their interests as someone who is psychotic. Such a person may well have a strong interest in not dying, but if they cannot accept the reality that they can, in fact, die, then their beliefs are interfering with their ability to advocate for their right to continue living in just the same way as someone's mental illness might do the same.

At a bare minimum, rational thought requires that a person's conclusion and their rationale for that conclusion bear some relation to one another. I would go further and say that I do think that another person must be able to follow the chain of reasoning.

In any case, this is actually a separate argument. We can debate how, in practice, we should go about assessing rationality, but this does not really bear on the issue of whether we should treat people with diagnosable conditions and those without differently. Maybe rationality actually has no bearing on whether someone should be able to make a medical decision. Maybe there are completely different criteria that we should be using. None of this actually matters. Fundamentally, what we are arguing is "should people without a diagnosis be protected from their own decisions in the same way that people with diagnoses are?"

It is not question begging. It is a literal question I am posing to you. Do you think that a mentally ill person without a coherent rationale for their decision should be allowed to make an important medical decision. See my above explanation of how this relates to the relevance of your critique.

The DSM makes this distinction diagnostically, not with regard to course of action. Cultural beliefs are not diagnoses, but that does not mean that they cannot lead to problems that require intervention. If someone came into your ED and told you that they were going to commit suicide with their cult next week, what would you do? Say you talked with them, several family members, multiple friends, and some of their fellow cult members, and you could find no evidence that they were depressed, no evidence of a personality disorder, no evidence of psychosis, and no evidence of any psychiatric disorder whatsoever. They were also not medically ill. Would you discharge them? Or would you admit them, potentially under some hedgy diagnosis that you don't necessarily fully believe to be accurate, like "adjustment disorder" or "unspecified mood disorder" or whatever?

I am personally of the opinion that we should be questioning capacity on anyone who has deficits in understanding or rationality, regardless of whether they agree with the treatment team. I think that the fact that teams only tend to question capacity when the patient disagrees with them is de facto coercive. That said, this is again a practical problem with capacity determinations, not an argument for different consideration of the two groups of patients we've been discussing.

Fine, but where does this type of concern end for you? Obviously there are matters about which people can form opinions on the basis of just being a reasonable human being. Some people might have more expertise than others, but for many things we just accept that anybody is competent enough in the subject to form an opinion. The other day, my computer wouldn't turn on and I concluded that was because it was unplugged. Do I need to be a computer engineer to come to that conclusion because it's possible that there was some other technical issue that resolved itself by the time I plugged the computer in?

Again, I think that it is in our wheelhouse. These are medical decisions, so we're better qualified than anybody else to make these decisions.

It depends on how they're able to explain those decisions. If he can demonstrate that he understands that he needs treatment and will suffer some problematic consequence without it, and nonetheless explains that he doesn't want to be in a hospital and would rather suffer those negative consequences, I might agree with you. If he's not able to demonstrate that he understands any of these things, how exactly are you coming to a conclusion that he has capacity?

I think we have officially reached the shouting past each other phase of this particular argument so I think I am going to give it a rest. At the end of the day I was trying to make a fairly narrow point about whether doctors should have the special powers they have regarding capacity when it came to dealing with people who lacked capacity due to some reason totally outside the purview of medicine. You seem to think they should if i understand you correctly and I am afraid of the places that might lead us.

I appreciate you being a good faith interlocutor in this regardless. It is very refreshing, and I wanted to reassure you I am leaving the above precis in the spirit of mutual understanding rather than trying to take a Parthian shot.

Reactions: 4 users
****NOT A POLITICAL THREAD****

This is a real thing and I bet other people have encountered this or thought about it. Let's leave politics out so this thread doesn't get closed. A colleague on call this morning got a capacity consult for a Covid + patient on 3L but with several co-morbidities that increases risk of rapid decompensation wanting to leave AMA because she doesn't believe in Covid. Team tried telling her she's got pneumonia leaving Covid out of it, but she refuses to believe it because she thinks Covid was created to defeat Trump. She knows she's sick, but she doesn't think it's serious because Covid doesn't exist and she wants to wait it out at home. She is otherwise fully with it with no concern for acute or chronic mental illness or cognitive disorder. Colleague suggested no capacity due to inability to appreciate seriousness of her condition and inability to weigh risk and benefit, but team attending disagreed if its based just on that because he doesn't think "politics should play a role in eliminating someone's autonomy to make medical decisions".

What say you? I thought it was a slam dunk but others disagree. Are other people getting these?
Patient can communicate a choice, but clearly does not understand the basic information about their condition and cannot manipulate that information. While their thought process is consistent with their beliefs, they fail two core components of capacity and clearly don't have it. Now if they said, "COVID exists but I think I'll be fine and if not I would rather die at home" that would be more likely to get a thumbs up from me for having capacity.

I'm curious if someone can post a scholarly source about the importance of pathology for determining capacity.
Certainly in the academic sources I've read, there's no stress on having a 'medical or psychiatric' pathology as the direct cause for lacking capacity.
See for example:

Medical decision-making capacity has four key elements. Patients must be able to (1) demonstrate understanding of the benefits and risks of, and the alternatives to, a proposed treatment or intervention (including no treatment); (2) demonstrate appreciation of those benefits, risks, and alternatives; (3) show reasoning in making a decision; and (4) communicate their choice.1,2

The team attending is equating capacity and autonomy when in reality what they're saying is that patient autonomy outweighs the patients lack of decision making capacity. The problem is the patient doesn't appreciate how seriously sick she is despite the oxygen supplementation and therefore can't appreciate the consequences of what will happen when she leaves. Another complicating factor, if she leaves AMA and there is a consult from psychiatry saying she lacks decision making capacity then that leaves wiggle room for the family to say lack of decision making capacity should've been considered more than her autonomy if she dies. If she's held against her will based on decision making capacity now you have a person and possibly her family also who will be fighting the team every step of the way

Note: My terminology might not be exact but hopefully my rationale is. I think the other thing the consider is whether patient autonomy is only valid if the patient has decision making capacity, frankly this should be the conclusion.
If a patient doesn't have capacity they are only treated until such time as a substitute decision maker can be found. The literal first thing the primary team should be doing after capacity is declared to not be present is finding this decision maker, as it is their responsibility and duty at that point. This is typically their family, who, if they were of the same ethos, would immediately withdraw her AMA. In all but the most extreme cases it is very difficult to override a family's decision at this point, and the legal process is quite messy after that- you're either having to contact child or adult protective services (or your state's equivalent) to try and get them to take over decisions from the family.

With regard to the rest of the thread, this may be a political belief for many, but that does not change the fact that their decisions must be logical in accordance with their beliefs, wishes, and values. The simple question one must ask is, "do you want to live?" If they answer yes, one must then ask, "do you understand that you are seriously medically ill and without treatment you will very likely die?" If they state that they do not understand this, they demonstrate a lack of appreciation for the medical facts at hand, and lack capacity. If they state that they understand they will likely die but want to leave anyway then they are making a decision that is not logical in accordance with their desire to live. If they, however, say that they have lived a full life and if they die they die, and that it is their preference to do so at home if it is to pass, and that they understand that their illness may be fatal but they would still like to leave, well that's a decision that is logical in accordance with their beliefs and demonstrates an understanding of the information presented. So long as they can also demonstrate an understanding of the proposed treatment and it's benefits and subsequently decline them for a reason that is coherent and logical in the context of their values and beliefs, well they're good to go.

• Care
I'm curious if someone can post a scholarly source about the importance of pathology for determining capacity.
Certainly in the academic sources I've read, there's no stress on having a 'medical or psychiatric' pathology as the direct cause for lacking capacity.
See for example:

Medical decision-making capacity has four key elements. Patients must be able to (1) demonstrate understanding of the benefits and risks of, and the alternatives to, a proposed treatment or intervention (including no treatment); (2) demonstrate appreciation of those benefits, risks, and alternatives; (3) show reasoning in making a decision; and (4) communicate their choice.1,2

You don't need to have a pathology to lack capacity, it's not a core component of the process. Denial and a profound lack of medical literacy are among the more common reasons capacity isn't present

You don't need to have a pathology to lack capacity, it's not a core component of the process. Denial and a profound lack of medical literacy are among the more common reasons capacity isn't present

That is my understanding as well. You don't really consider etiology in your assessment.
But half of this thread so far has been a debate on whether a medical or psychiatric pathology is necessary to rule out capacity.

Poor health literacy is not grounds for deeming a pt lacks decision making capacity! Similarly, a pt does not lack capacity because someone didn't explain something to them properly.
The key point is capacity. It's not where someone does/does not understand something, it is whether they have the capacity to do so. If they are incapacitated, that must be because something is impairing their mental functions (such as coma, delirium, dementia, psychosis, intellectual disability). This is clear in the law. It is especially clear in the case of criminal competencies (e.g. competency to stand trial), but also for civil competencies (of which medical decision making capacity is the most common, along with testamentary capacity, contractual capacity etc.) I would find it hard to believe there are any states that would allow someone to be deemed incompetent/incapacitated without a mental impairment (though have not read the statutes for every state).

In my state, the law is very clear that mental impairment is a pre-requisite, it is not sufficient to not meet one of the 4 prongs of the Appelbaum and Grisso criteria. As I mentioned before, this is very poorly taught. My program was very C-L heavy and we did not learn this. It was not until I did my forensic fellowship I really understood this.

Here is the california law for example:

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users