Canceling an Interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thatwouldbeanarchy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm extremely fortunate to have 1 MD acceptance at a school that I'd be happy to attend. I've already cancelled 1 other interview at a school that was pretty low on my list. But I have another interview scheduled for next week and I'm having totally unnecessary anxiety about whether or not I should go. I feel pretty confident that I'll end up matriculating at the school I've been accepted to. It's local so I could stay close to my friends and my partner. I have lots of connections to the school, including some great mentors. It's in a city that's inexpensive to live in, unlike the school I'd be interviewing at.

But I've only been on that 1 interview and for some reason, the idea of not even checking out any other schools makes me nervous - even though it's very doubtful that I'd end up going anywhere else. Is it a bad idea to cancel this interview? Or should I cancel in the hopes it goes to someone who might want it more? I don't expect to get any more II's. Should I be concerned about not having any other comparisons, especially in terms of possible financial aid packages?

For some reason the thought of canceling is making me nervous! It feels so final! But I'm also *extremely broke* and tired and ready for this cycle to be over. Help?

Members don't see this ad.

I feel like you already know what you want to do! Save your money, relax a bit, and be happy you have an acceptance!

Reactions: 1 users
I would still go to the interview. It's difficult to assess a school on paper, interview day lets you take a closer look at the other options you have. You already spent all that money and effort completing their application, you might as well go the full length. The interview is also more relaxed because you'll know you always have a backup. I doubt you're burned out after just one interview.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
random, totally unrelated, for the longest time I thought your handle was ...beararchy given your avatar :ninja:

So I'm extremely fortunate to have 1 MD acceptance at a school that I'd be happy to attend. I've already cancelled 1 other interview at a school that was pretty low on my list. But I have another interview scheduled for next week and I'm having totally unnecessary anxiety about whether or not I should go. I feel pretty confident that I'll end up matriculating at the school I've been accepted to. It's local so I could stay close to my friends and my partner. I have lots of connections to the school, including some great mentors. It's in a city that's inexpensive to live in, unlike the school I'd be interviewing at.

But I've only been on that 1 interview and for some reason, the idea of not even checking out any other schools makes me nervous - even though it's very doubtful that I'd end up going anywhere else. Is it a bad idea to cancel this interview? Or should I cancel in the hopes it goes to someone who might want it more? I don't expect to get any more II's. Should I be concerned about not having any other comparisons, especially in terms of possible financial aid packages?

For some reason the thought of canceling is making me nervous! It feels so final! But I'm also *extremely broke* and tired and ready for this cycle to be over. Help?
When I got into my top choice (also local and inexpensive for me), there was not a shred of doubt in my mind that it's the only school I want to attend. It sounds like you've made up your mind too, and if you have, don't waste your time (or theirs) or money. But if there's even a tiny voice telling you to go on this interview, you have nothing to lose (aside from a few bucks) by going and seeing what your options are.

Anecdotally, I have seen a few people go on interviews in situations like this and ultimately fall in love with the school.

I would go if you have an interest in the school, or you can think of some things it might have that would cause you to go there instead. Otherwise, save your money and treat yo self!

Congrats on the acceptance! I imagine the only thing nagging at you is the "what if I change my mind?" after you go interview. Trust your gut, ask yourself which school would you choose if you were blessed with 2 acceptances and go from there. If you're pretty much set on your first choice, pat yourself on the back and spend the extra time on celebrations!

Best of luck on your path and great work!

Cheers

Thanks everyone! Honestly, the only thing I can think of that would make me consider this school is the remote possibility that they give me some sort of scholarship. Don't get me wrong--I have no doubt that it's a great school! But the school I've been accepted to has certain lifestyle perks that this school just can't compete with, mainly the close proximity to some of the most important people in my life. I appreciate the feedback! I have no doubt that I'm making this more complicated than it needs to be. :)

I would bet many people went in thinking if I get into X it's all over only to find that they liked school Y much more.
Also your opinion may change dramatically if one offers you a generous 100% loan package and the other offers a generous scholarship grant, tuition waver, etc.
If you can afford to go, go.
My other interviews made me realize how much I preferred the school I thought I wanted to attend anyway. That's also useful info.
As an aside, if one is Albany, maybe don't waste your time. Omg, I wanted to get back on the train before I got to the hotel. I couldn't live there for 4 years.

Reactions: 3 users
If you can afford it I think you should go. It's good to see what's out there.
If you're dating and you're pretty sure you like someone but you aren't exclusive yet, and some other cute smart guy asks you out... Do you turn him down? Or do you go on a date? It's just a date not a marriage proposal. If anything you might just have a good time. I hope that made sense. :)

why not try it, the med school might turn out to be nice.

I would bet many people went in thinking if I get into X it's all over only to find that they liked school Y much more.
Also your opinion may change dramatically if one offers you a generous 100% loan package and the other offers a generous scholarship grant, tuition waver, etc.
My other interviews made me realize how much I preferred the school I thought I wanted to attend anyway. That's also useful info.
As an aside, if one is Albany, maybe don't waste your time. Omg, I wanted to get back on the train before I got to the hotel. I couldn't live there for 4 years.

lol wow hating hard
i remember albany being a school campus, a hospital campus and then a street in town that had a few stores

I was in this situation a few months ago. I went to the interview, and am still matriculating to the place of my acceptance regardless of the result from this interview. However, I am 100% certain I would still go to the second interview again. I saw a side of the school that almost tipped the scales for me. You never know what might jump out at you on interview day.

Is there any situation in which you will pick this other school over your current acceptance? e.g. full tuition scholarship at the other school, the most perfect vibe from current students, etc. If so, do consider interviewing at this other school. You've earned it and you never know what you may find.

But, if you are positively sure that nothing can sway you away from your current acceptance (due to family, local mentors, etc.), then by all means cancel this other interview and buy something nice for yourself! No point wasting your time (and money) or theirs. This'll also give another applicant the opportunity to potentially make their dreams come true. When I was applying, I chose this latter option and I don't regret it one bit. Congrats and good luck with your decision.

I don't know if I have any helpful advice, but I can offer a bit of solidarity. I've been accepted at a school I love but OOS tuition is steep! I have a couple pending interviews, one of which would be significantly cheaper but is less desirable in terms of location/fit/resources. Ultimately I think I'll end up attending, but right now I'll be an ungrateful turd and say the mere thought of dropping the $$ to travel at ungodly hours and nod and smile through another tour of "cutting-edge facilities" and info session about "early clinical exposure" makes me nauseous. This application process is no joke and I am definitely approaching burnout.
That being said - thank you for posting this, and to everyone responding! It's helpful to see other perspectives on benefits/drawbacks of attending another interview vs. just taking the win and walking away. Whatever you decide, you're going to have to stick with it and not look back. The "what ifs" will drive you crazy if you let them!

Reactions: 1 users
Do you have the travel arrangements made already? Otherwise don't bother, sounds like you'll be happier at your current school. Your first interview day is the only one you really enjoy because its fun and exciting, you're not missing out on an experience by not going to another.

Albany was the first school I got into and while I was ecstatic that I was going to become a doctor, I was terrified that I might have to go to Albany. It almost made me question whether I wanted to do medicine.

It's difficult to assess a school on paper, interview day lets you take a closer look at the other options you have.
1ce14.jpg
ht11.jpg

dh.jpg

Last edited: