Cancelling an interview 9 days out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maybedoc1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have an interview on 1/13 that I am thinking about cancelling but I'm wondering if it's too late to do so? I've recently been accepted to one of my top choices so I'm not sure if I want to take time off work to do this interview when I probably won't attend this school regardless. I guess there's always a chance that I fall in love, but I would hate to waste their time if the odds are slim. My only concern would be that it's relatively short notice and they probably wouldn't be able to fill my interview spot?

Members don't see this ad.

It's fine especially because it's virtual.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all,

I have an interview on 1/13 that I am thinking about cancelling but I'm wondering if it's too late to do so? I've recently been accepted to one of my top choices so I'm not sure if I want to take time off work to do this interview when I probably won't attend this school regardless. I guess there's always a chance that I fall in love, but I would hate to waste their time if the odds are slim. My only concern would be that it's relatively short notice and they probably wouldn't be able to fill my interview spot?
cancel. this spot will go to someone who needs it.
In the email thank them, be very professional, etc, because what if you need to go there for residency?

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,

It won't be a problem.

Reactions: 1 user
Canceling an interview at any time is better than attending the interview with no intention to attend the school.

Reactions: 3 users
I agree with the posters above that cancelling the interview will not be a problem. However, I would consider attending the interview for two reasons. First, as you stated above, there is a slim chance that the interview will peak your interest in the school. Second, it may lead to an acceptance with the potential for a better financial aid package. Of course, if you would attend the school that you have already been accepted to regardless of financial aid, I would cancel the interview. However, if that is not the case, I would consider attending it.

Reactions: 1 users
Cancelling saves both your time and theirs if you're sure you won't be attending.

cancel. this spot will go to someone who needs it.
In the email thank them, be very professional, etc, because what if you need to go there for residency?
/thread