Canceling Interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krabbypattychef

Reaction score
Hi, not trying to brag or anything but I have a couple of interview invites and one acceptance. I am pretty set on going to the school I am accepted at unless I get a better one in the area. I was wondering if I should still interview at other places even though I am pretty sure I would not want to go to these schools. I don't want to go through the hassle of interviews plus another spot would open for others. I also want to take the most logical approach here for me. Would you all still interview at these schools or withdraw? Thanks for your help in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

If there is no chance you will be going to the school that invites you for an interview then decline the offer. However, if you could see yourself going if they offer a more lucrative financial aid package or something along those lines, then take it.

Reactions: 2 users
If you know that you won't pick another school over the one you are accepted at, I think you should cancel the interview. It would be a waste of time for both you and them to interview you, and would open the slot for someone else to interview. That being said, you may discover something about the school during the course of the interview that really attracts you to them, but if you are 99% sure you wouldn't choose them over your current acceptance I would just cancel it. Congratulations on getting into medical school!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would only withdraw my application after receiving an interview from a school that I knew I would not attend over my current acceptances. I would not bother contacting other schools to withdraw prior to an II.

That said, I am predisposed to respectfully cancelling/rejecting the interview because I value my time (and they value theirs, too) much more than any benefit I am likely to get from attending the interview.

N = 1

I cancelled a couple of interviews back in my day, and I still think about one of the schools to this day. I'm actually looking forward to applying to the school for residency next year (as I hope to have a second chance to visit). Everything worked out for the best and the way it was supposed to, but it was a great school and I didn't give it a chance...

You can always say "no" at the end of the day, but you are only given one chance to put yourself in a position to say "Yes!". If you were tired from traveling, didn't have the money, or didn't want to waste time on an 'undesirable' location, my advice may be a bit more neutral. But you can literally interview in your underwear online, from the comfort of your bedroom.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users