Canadians working in the U.S.?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LeilaFay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm looking for some advice from Canadians currently working in the U.S. I am considering applying for something, internship or job opportunity, next year. I heard that certain state VMAs require another board exam. I'm wondering how to qualify for internships etc and how I would have to go about getting licensed. Is it a difficult and lengthy process? Has anyone been rejected and then had to turn down an internship?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly I think it depends on the state. I'm in California right now and it wasn't really a problem because they have a temporary intern/resident license where you don't have to write exams or go through fingerprinting or a bunch of other requirements.

Reactions: 1 user
All states require a state licensing exam, but it is usually just a "rules and regulations" type of exam, not a medical board exam. California is I think the only exception - it requires a medical board exam for licensing in addition to their exam on rules and regulations (as well as the NAVLE/NEB). That's for licensing to work; every state will have different regulations if you are a student (i.e. internship).

That's the veterinary licensing side -- then you need to deal with the US Immigration side. It's pretty easy, since students just need a bit of paperwork (and service fees, of course) and veterinarians are covered by NAFTA, so they just need a letter of job acceptance, some paperwork, and a service fee.....but it's only good for a maximum of one year, and would need to be extended for yearly allotments.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did run into a few programs that couldn't take me because they were NIH funded and the NIH wouldn't fund a non-citizen. But that was for lab animal residencies.

Honestly I think it depends on the state. I'm in California right now and it wasn't really a problem because they have a temporary intern/resident license where you don't have to write exams or go through fingerprinting or a bunch of other requirements.

Oh nice!

I did run into a few programs that couldn't take me because they were NIH funded and the NIH wouldn't fund a non-citizen. But that was for lab animal residencies.

Ah, I will keep that in mind! Thanks!

Actually entering through NAFTA on TN status gives you up to 3 years. It's very easy - just requires some paperwork, photocopies of your diploma, and $50 USD (which is probably gonna be like $150 CAD at the rate the dollar's dropping). I entered through a specialty internship that was 1 year in duration, so I only got 1 year, but if you do a residency program that goes for 3 years they will approve you for a maximum of 3 years. Theoretically it's also renewable indefinitely (although they start to raise eyebrows after you renew for like the 3rd or 4th time).