Can you schedule a retake of Step 2 CS before score release?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redalert

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took Step 2 CS recently and am freaking out that I might've failed. I botched a few challenging questions and was rushed and careless with many physical exam maneuvers. Did have time to counsel patients at the end on all cases though. My notes are relatively complete with 3 DDX for most cases, however, I don't know if they're the right ones or in the correct order. I likely won't get my scores back until December and if I wait till then to schedule a retake my scores definitely won't be back by ranking deadline. Are we allowed to schedule a retake before scores are released? I really hate this stupid test. I am living in fear that I won't match and this is not a great feeling during interview season.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Right there with you OP. I was a mess that day....really did awful physical exam wise (very basic, missed key exams), missed probably 3-4 diagnoses and a couple counseling opportunities...straight up told one patient that we would do an invasive exam despite the fact she told me she had 2 done already recently...so many stupid moments. Either way, our fate is sealed and all we can do now is wait and focus on interview season. On the plus side, I did have fairly thorough notes...and I remembered to knock, wash hands, shake hands, drape, summarize, and counsel/close on most of the patients (though I'm certain I got some of the challenge questions wrong...but hey, at least I got them to ask it, right?).

FWIW..I think it really depends on when our result comes out. Technically, our reporting phase begins Dec. 11....so we could theoretically have our result then. Otherwise, it would be every Wed...with 99% of results out by Dec 25. If we had to retake, we would have to get a date before Dec. 31...because that's the last testing period that will have a result before rank. So in the awful event we fail, let's hope we find out sooner than later....because getting a date after 1 week is highly unlikely (TBH, I'd be surprised if we could even get a date after Dec. 11..). Either way, good luck to us both. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)