Can you guys tell me my chances?

Dr.J.D

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm finishing off my junior year right now, and these are my stats:
GPA: 3.77 UW 4.1 W (These are unofficial). Upward Trend.
I have yet to take the ACT, but this test is much more my strong suit as compared to the SAT. Aiming for 33 plus.
I took English H, Living Environment, Geometry, Global 1, and Theology as a freshman. All honors although this was a small school where most kids were in honors.
As a sophomore, I took AP Bio, Algebra 2, AP World, Pre AP English, Honors Chemistry, Spanish 1.
As I junior I am taking APUSH, AP Lang, AP Psych, College Genetics, and Anatomy, Spanish 2 and Art.
Next year i will take AP lit, AP euro, AP Gov, Calculus, Sociology, Spanish 3, Physics Honors, and might take AP environmental.
The reason my grades were lower in the beginning is because I had not had formal education for the previous 4 years, I had a close family member suffer from a chronic illness, and I too went through a mental illness.

Will be taking Sat 2 in Lit, Bio, and US history. I have a low income and am eligible for oppourtunity programs for Cornell, Columbia, and NYU.

My extracurriculars were in turn also affected- but anyhow, here they are:
Won acheivement awards in my prior school.
Volunteered about 1000 hours at religious center.
Worked and helped manage a construction business.
Organized a non-profit youth basketball league.
Newspaper Club
Homework Help Club
Peer Tutoring
Science Club
National Honor Society
Will likely join Science, English, History honor societies next year- again me switching schools and other factors affected me not being able to do as much.
Participated in MIST tournament
CTSE writing contest
District logo contest
Will be shadowing/volunteering at an internal medicine clinic this summer.
I was also going to apply for the Columbia Summer Immersion, but its really expensive- 7k I think.
So can you guys evaluate my stats? I want to attend a really good college, but don't have a solid list for where I should apply. Maybe you guys can help me with safety, target, and reach examples?
I also have the whole summer and until application time at my disposal to do more extracurriculars, maybe you guys could point me towards some activities you guys have done during your high school experience. I really want to do more, but need some guidance in that aspect. I also realize I need to be realistic in my goals but want to have the utmost application that I can present.

I know I would have to have more information for y'all to answer some of these questions, but please ask away, as I am more than happy to elaborate.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

You're killing it for a high school student. Just relax a little, enjoy high school and you should coast into a great college. I applied to exactly 1 University so I can't really help with what your chances are, but I can try to give you some tips.

Make sure when you apply you consider, in no particular order:

1. Price
2. Distance from family/support
3. Available opportunities and (!!!) how much competition there is for them
4. Quality of program
5. How much fun you'll have/how much you'll enjoy the school

Prestige is also great to have if you can swing it, but I wouldn't put it above the others. 100% going to a more prestigious school can open more doors, but I absolutely loved my time at a low tier/unranked public school and no issues with my app cycle at all.

You should stick around SDN, but don't get too sucked in to it.

Reactions: 2 users
bumpity bump