Can Osteoclasts develop into Osteoblasts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ipodtouch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that Osteoblasts are immature Bone cells that mature into Osteocytes.

But for some reason I have this tidbit stuck in my mind that Osteoclasts can develop into Osteoblasts, and then so on.

Members don't see this ad.

I know that Osteoblasts are immature Bone cells that mature into Osteocytes.

But for some reason I have this tidbit stuck in my mind that Osteoclasts can develop into Osteoblasts, and then so on.

We had a huge osteo smackdown on this forum last year, and the conclusion was that scientists don't really know who develops into who. Different sources state (or hypothesize) different paths of development, and the conclusion was that since experts don't really know what is going on, it would not be specifically tested on the MCAT.

If somebody searches and digs up the old thread (I know I posted in it), it might be helpful to post a link here.

haha, thanks for the reply. That's pretty much all I needed to know.

There's a question in Kaplan were they ask along the lines of:

Which is True?
a.) Osteoblasts are immature bone cells
b.) Osteoclasts are immature bone cells

The answer is A

So I just assume that Osteoclasts are... Not Bone cells? or are not Immature Bone Cells?

That question has been bugging me

Which is True?

The answer is A

So I just assume that Osteoclasts are... Not Bone cells? or are not Immature Bone Cells?

"immature" in this context means "not fully differentiated." aka an immature cell could still turn into another kind of cell before it dies. osteoclasts are not immature bone cells. they have gone as far as they can go. osteoblasts on the other hand still have the capacity to mature further into osteocytes.

any time you see "-blast" as a suffix on a cell name, you can assume it means a relatively immature type of cell.

Members don't see this ad :)

Which is True?

The answer is A

You don't need to know this for the mcat (though it makes this question much easier), but osteoblasts basically surround themselves with bone matrix and end up "living" in the lacuna. Once completely surrounded, they are termed an "osteocyte".

"immature" in this context means "not fully differentiated." aka an immature cell could still turn into another kind of cell before it dies. osteoclasts are not immature bone cells. they have gone as far as they can go. osteoblasts on the other hand still have the capacity to mature further into osteocytes.

any time you see "-blast" as a suffix on a cell name, you can assume it means a relatively immature type of cell.

Thanks, this was exactly what I was looking for.

I had considered that the order was:
Osteoclast --> Osteoblast --> Osteocyte

Which would make Osteoclasts immature bone cells (not fully differentiated).
However if it is indeed:

Osteoclast
Osteoblast --> Osteocyte

Then I undersand

Thanks, this was exactly what I was looking for.

I had considered that the order was:
Osteoclast --> Osteoblast --> Osteocyte

Which would make Osteoclasts immature bone cells (not fully differentiated).
However if it is indeed:

Osteoclast
Osteoblast --> Osteocyte

Then I undersand

yes, you have it right

According to the material I'm being taught in Medical School, Osteoclasts have more in common (lineage) with phagocytes (Macrophages etc) than with Osteocytes or Osteoblasts.