Osteoblasts/clasts/cytes origins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spectar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I had a question on the origin of the types of bone cells as ExamKrackers is not really that good at explaining where they come from.

Examkrackers states that "Osteoblasts, osteoclasts, and osteocytes all derive from osteoprogenitor stem cells in the bone."

However it later says that osteocytes are derived from monocytes in the blood. Online (SDN) someone said that osteocytes are found in lacunae and are formed when osteoblasts mature. Yet again later in the EK book it states that "Osteoblasts differentiate from fibroblasts in the perichondrium"

Can someone please clear this up for me? I originally thought it would be easy to assume they all came from the same location/cell but it doesn't look that way.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think what you're asking may be beyond the scope of the MCAT, but I'll give it a shot.

Osteoblast: Formed from osteoprogenitor cells
Osteoclast: Derived from monocytes
Osteocyte: Osteoblasts, once they have completed protein and collagen synthesis, will mature into osteocytes; osteocytes occupy lacunae.

Essentially it's osteoprogenitor -> osteoblast -> osteocyte

And then separately, osteoclasts are derived from monocytes.

Source if needed

Reactions: 1 users
I think what you're asking may be beyond the scope of the MCAT, but I'll give it a shot.

Osteoblast: Formed from osteoprogenitor cells
Osteoclast: Derived from monocytes
Osteocyte: Osteoblasts, once they have completed protein and collagen synthesis, will mature into osteocytes; osteocytes occupy lacunae.

Essentially it's osteoprogenitor -> osteoblast -> osteocyte

And then separately, osteoclasts are derived from monocytes.

Source if needed

This is perfect, Thanks