Can med students get drafted??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You should be proactive and enlist in the service of your choice before the war begins.

During Vietnam, both of my Uncles enlisted because they "didn't want to be in a platoon of people who had to get drafted". I have no idea if companies/platoons/etc. were actually made up only of people who got drafted, but that would be enough reason to enlist if there was a draft.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 4C6FAA79-8D9A-42DB-A1EB-CF226C080E85.png
    4C6FAA79-8D9A-42DB-A1EB-CF226C080E85.png
    125.2 KB · Views: 108
  • Haha
  • Okay...
Reactions: 4 users
On a more serious note, the Selective Service System has a mechanism to draft medical personnel specifically called the Health Care Personnel Delivery System. As currently on the shelf, it’s up to 50 years old, already in practice, and has the many of the exemptions as the normal draft except you can be assigned more easily to alternate service (and Civil Service is exempt but may not resign if activated). It’s never been implemented, but arose after the Korean War at Michael Debakey’s suggestion as a contingency. That is one of the reasons that the NPPES NPI system exists today.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
On the bright side, I'll have one more line on my CV if I end up getting drafted.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
During Vietnam, both of my Uncles enlisted because they "didn't want to be in a platoon of people who had to get drafted". I have no idea if companies/platoons/etc. were actually made up only of people who got drafted, but that would be enough reason to enlist if there was a draft.
Boy, I'll bet they were disappointed when they went in-country.

The US Army never segregated troops by draftee or enlistee status.

Reactions: 1 user
Boy, I'll bet they were disappointed when they went in-country.

The US Army never segregated troops by draftee or enlistee status.
Actually, they did, multiple times. Read up on McNamara’s *****s for a really tragic story. I still keep up with the longitudinal study as one of my office’s duties.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Might be a blessing in disguise. At least you wont have to go through residency. Your medical school might also recognize you as a war hero.
LOL the only heros that medical schools recognize are ones that write big checks with their names on it.
But getting out of residency might be kinda sick tbh

"The wars of the future will not be fought on the battlefield or at sea. They will be fought in space, or possibly on top of a very tall mountain. In either case, most of the actual fighting will be done by small robots. And as you go forth today remember always your duty is clear: To build and maintain those robots."

We currently maintaining those simulated manikin in medical schools.

If an all out WW3 breaks out - Rad Onc is screwed... It's like everybody gets all-body high-dose radiation therapy - cancer cured!

On another note... I heard that it would be Step 2CK score tiered.

Status
Not open for further replies.